• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Over relying on Bananas?

--E--

Smash Rookie
While the bananas are an excellent tool at any Diddy player's disposal, I am finding that there seems to be an over reliance on the banana's themselves.

If Diddy players get into a lull about spamming bananas then their play becomes far to predictable. For example, players in my area are already expecting banana spam as soon as someone picks Diddy, which happens 9 time out of 10, and the Diddy player quickly gets punished for it.

I don't have a fix, I'm just preaching banana restraint.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Diddy without bananas is a bad Diddy.
Diddy getting punished for using bananas is a terrible Diddy.

If you're playing somebody who knows hos to use bananas against you, only keep one out (i.e. in your hands) at a time until you can get them far enough away from you to throw out the second one.

Frostspin

Smash Rookie
Diddy getting punished isn't a bad Diddy (not necessarily), but rather a good opponent. I only use one banana against my friends, who have gotten quite good at punishing me with the bananas. They still can use it against me quite effectively.

Mostly I just use the bananas now to help me edgeguard them lol

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Diddy getting punished isn't a bad Diddy (not necessarily), but rather a good opponent. I only use one banana against my friends, who have gotten quite good at punishing me with the bananas. They still can use it against me quite effectively.

Mostly I just use the bananas now to help me edgeguard them lol
You're getting punished for using an aspect of Diddy's character which, used properly, should open up possible 'combos' (I say that in a loose sense, there are no combos in Brawl).

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
You're getting punished for using an aspect of Diddy's character which, used properly, should open up possible 'combos' (I say that in a loose sense, there are no DECENT combos in Brawl).
Fixed it for ya. Some characters have combos that can only be pulled off at low damages, making them nearly useless.

Anyways, yeah I would only keep 1 banana out at any given time if you're having trouble with two. Normally, I pull out 1 banana at the beginning of a match, and only keep one out until I find a good opening (like if my opponent is off the edge). Also, after I kill the opponent, I throw away both bananas and take out one more which I can keep track of. The first thing my opponent ever does with his invincibility frames is picking up a banana.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Its not about how often you use them, but how you use them. No matter how often or how rarely you use bananas, if your opponent can predict you, you will be punished for it.

Opponents that become used to fighting against bananas can surely become a lot more difficult to use bananas against. But here is where you really start learning Mind Games, for you start to learn new uses for the bananas that you won't learn any other way.

And the OP is correct in that there is such a thing as using bananas too much. Variety leads to Mind Games, and sometimes stopping using bananas (or using them less often) for periods of time can help you regain control of the battle.

It is much better to not use bananas than to have them used against you.

Player-1

Smash Legend
If anything i under rely on them, i bring them out usually when one of us dies, but sometimes when they're at high % and i can't kill them. I hate people who say i banana spam, when i bring uhhhh 4ish out a game? When they can use them against me?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, I can usually **** people who rely solely on the bananas, unlike most players I actually know that using a dash attack on a banana will let you pick it up, most people hop over them leaving them open.

Oh and Thio, there are to combos in brawl, sure they're like 2-3 attack combos 4 tops but yeah not nearly the destructive ones there once were.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Bananas are used for approaching and map control. If you can't control your bananas(sometimes I SLIP UP too) then you need more practice and not be as predictable.

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
You can never over rely on Bananas.
You can ask anybody I play with, no matter how many nanerz I throw, There can always be more.
I dunno how you guys play with them but I don't see how you can be predictable with it, use glide tossing alot and just keep the bananas constantly moving, both of them. always have both bananas out and don't give your opponent the chance to get ahold of them, if they do happen to grab one, just catch it when they throw it at you. I do all the time =p

I main Bananas. Not Diddy.

I basically disagree with this thread. :D

--E--

Smash Rookie
You can never over rely on Bananas.
You can ask anybody I play with, no matter how many nanerz I throw, There can always be more.
I dunno how you guys play with them but I don't see how you can be predictable with it, use glide tossing alot and just keep the bananas constantly moving, both of them. always have both bananas out and don't give your opponent the chance to get ahold of them, if they do happen to grab one, just catch it when they throw it at you. I do all the time =p

I main Bananas. Not Diddy.

I basically disagree with this thread. :D

Of course you would. Its in your name. :p

Top Bottom