• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Outsmarting Mother Brain

Outsmarting Mother Brain

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
With all the people posting guides about Samus that I found lacking somewhat, I decided I'd post a guide myself. Constructive criticism welcomed. I'd like the guide to be pretty comprehensive.

Xygonn submitted a new guide:

Outsmarting Mother Brain - A deep dive into Samus' moveset

Introduction:
I am by no means the best Samus player out there. I really like playing as her though and have learned a lot about her to try to get better. This guide represents a condensed version of the knowledge I have gained about Samus.
First Things First - Let's Talk About General Stuff

Attributes:

Samus is a fairly unique character in smash. With a high weight (Tied 6th heaviest at 108 with Bowser Jr.), low fall speed (tied 6th lowest with...
Read more about this guide...

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Nice guide Xygonn! Finally a guide with enough detail and obvious play experience that I can point a new player towards,

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Really nice work on this guide, Xygonn.

I'm going to be compiling all the knockdown percents for Jab 1 and F-tilt among other attacks (For CS tech chases) against the entire cast after the upcoming patch, so you'll be able to make the listed knockdown percents for Jab 1 and F-tilt more accurate for the entire cast once I finish.

You did a great job of going in depth for each move and provided good uses and points for all of them.
I will definitely recommend this guide to anyone interested in learning Samus.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Really nice work on this guide, Xygonn.

I'm going to be compiling all the knockdown percents for Jab 1 and F-tilt among other attacks (For CS tech chases) against the entire cast after the upcoming patch, so you'll be able to make the listed knockdown percents for Jab 1 and F-tilt more accurate for the entire cast once I finish.

You did a great job of going in depth for each move and provided good uses and points for all of them.
I will definitely recommend this guide to anyone interested in learning Samus.
Thanks to you and everyone else in the thread for the compliments and kind reviews. If you do notice any mistakes or anything I have overlooked please let me know. I'll try to keep the guide up to date with new stuff on the Samus boards.

I really couldn't have made the guide without all the info that has been posted to this board. FYI, in the Dabuz tier list we are garbage tier. :)

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Thanks to you and everyone else in the thread for the compliments and kind reviews. If you do notice any mistakes or anything I have overlooked please let me know. I'll try to keep the guide up to date with new stuff on the Samus boards.

I really couldn't have made the guide without all the info that has been posted to this board. FYI, in the Dabuz tier list we are garbage tier. :)
I'll enlighten him if he comes to CEO 2015

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
I would talk about pivot grabs some in the guide, which it seemed absent from. Usually if someone fast hits my shield, and I can't grab out of shield, I'll just run away and then do a pivot grab if they follow in for a dash attack / grab of their own.

Especially if they are expecting a roll, and we don't roll, then they try to punish but get pivot grabbed. This obviously doesn't work if they use projectiles a lot, or spam aerial approaches.

Just something I do if I notice a pattern and get te reads.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I would talk about pivot grabs some in the guide, which it seemed absent from. Usually if someone fast hits my shield, and I can't grab out of shield, I'll just run away and then do a pivot grab if they follow in for a dash attack / grab of their own.

Especially if they are expecting a roll, and we don't roll, then they try to punish but get pivot grabbed. This obviously doesn't work if they use projectiles a lot, or spam aerial approaches.

Just something I do if I notice a pattern and get te reads.
Good point. I don't use pivot grab much, sounds like a bit of a hard read. Grab is so punishable. I'll put something in about pivots though. I pivot ftilt a lot.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Good point. I don't use pivot grab much, sounds like a bit of a hard read. Grab is so punishable. I'll put something in about pivots though. I pivot ftilt a lot.

I usually get one or two pivot grabs in a set. I never really go for pivot tilts. Must be playstyle, or something subconscious. Patterns kind of form themselves and then I'm like "ok I can do a pivot grab now." I usually do them if I'm trailing in % and go defensive. Switching to tilts / non punishable moves conditions them, then the pgrab just kind of forms itself sometimes.

Hard to explain.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Updated the guide to include mewtwo aura sphere clanking CS and tanking super missile. Deleted Super missile -> CS combo at 0->50% :(

Edited to add some frame info on zair and fix an error that stated that zair doesn't stale.

Xygonn updated Outsmarting Mother Brain with a new update entry:

Patch 1.0.6 Confirmed Changes

Missiles go slightly faster, but the section on missiles is unchanged.
Dthrow knockback seems to be slightly less, waiting for data for any changes.

Ftilt has been buffed 1% in the final two boxes. Knockback increased to 30b/100g.
Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Should be noted that Samus's down smash is actually pretty amazing on her back hit, which has really REALLY low vertical knockback and sends mostly horizontally a lot, which is great to get people out of you if you read the roll/kill at high %

EDIT: Also something good you can do with missiles, you can "Dash dance" to the opposite direction to the opponent and flick towards immediatly with side B to move while spamming super missiles, which is specially good against any character that is far away. You move a tiny bit while attacking to get brething room for Charging CS

Here (https://vine.co/v/eOx6jddP79E) Is what I mean

EDIT2: You should also mention that you shouldnt be afraid to space down Air Vertically as it even covers the head.

The main issue is the timing, mostly.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Should be noted that Samus's down smash is actually pretty amazing on her back hit, which has really REALLY low vertical knockback and sends mostly horizontally a lot, which is great to get people out of you if you read the roll/kill at high %

EDIT: Also something good you can do with missiles, you can "Dash dance" to the opposite direction to the opponent and flick towards immediatly with side B to move while spamming super missiles, which is specially good against any character that is far away. You move a tiny bit while attacking to get brething room for Charging CS

Here (https://vine.co/v/eOx6jddP79E) Is what I mean

EDIT2: You should also mention that you shouldnt be afraid to space down Air Vertically as it even covers the head.

The main issue is the timing, mostly.
Compared to other dsmash back hits it isn't great at all. It's adequate at best.

I'll add something about pivot missiles.

I'll also say something about the amazing size of dair's hitbox.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Eh thats true about the down smash I guess, I still use it because of that hit since Down tilt unfortunatelly doesnt cover your back :(

Also didnt knew you could call that pivot missiles, my b

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Minor Changes with some 1.0.8 patch comments

Added uair (weak hit) to upb in the uair section, not sure why I didn't put it there before. That's a very common late percent kill setup.

Updated usmash kill percent and changed a bit of the commentary regarding usmash. Specifically it is stronger and has larger hitboxes and better linking. People still fall out of the first couple hits. The last hitbox in particular is much larger and hits most characters standing behind you reliably.

Arhat

Smash Rookie
I found dsmash quite useful in creating space when an opponent is in the danger zone or in bird of prey mode by rolling on each side of you. Just so you know don't disagree with your own char's moveset too badly.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I found dsmash quite useful in creating space when an opponent is in the danger zone or in bird of prey mode by rolling on each side of you. Just so you know don't disagree with your own char's moveset too badly.
I guess with the ftilt sour spot that was added it makes dsmash a passable get off move. It's still the worst dsmash in the game.

EDIT: I changed dsmash's description a bit to give it credit where credit is due and upgraded it from basically a wasted slot to nearly a wasted slot.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Last edited:

capgamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
capgamer31
hello, i was reading the outsmart motherbrain guide and i noticed you don't mention samus' grab being longer than her dash grab (i haven't tried pivot grab yet) but it's a definite thing that her dash grab is shorter range than a standing grab at the same location. if your dash grab whiffs right in front of your opponent then a standing grab from the same place will probably be able to reach (if the spark is about half your character model width or closer to your opponent). you have alot of great stats so i figured you could add this too.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
hello, i was reading the outsmart motherbrain guide and i noticed you don't mention samus' grab being longer than her dash grab (i haven't tried pivot grab yet) but it's a definite thing that her dash grab is shorter range than a standing grab at the same location. if your dash grab whiffs right in front of your opponent then a standing grab from the same place will probably be able to reach (if the spark is about half your character model width or closer to your opponent). you have alot of great stats so i figured you could add this too.
I'll add this tidbit on the next update. In fact the grab frame data needs to be updated.

Last edited:

capgamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
capgamer31
I'll add this tidbit on the next update. In fact the grab frame data needs to be updated.
great, i look forward to the improvements can't wait to read them. i love playing samus and though i've learned alot of the info through playing, the frames and when to use attacks gives me a fresh perspective. seems a bit fishy that most characters get an extension of their grab box during a moving grab but poor ol' samus is left with a lump of coal on christmas day.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Grab section update, end lag calculation update

This update changed the grab section to include the patch updates that slightly reduced the end lag on some of Samus' throws.

I also went through all the ground and aerial moves to update the "end lag" section by basically taking one frame off. The IASA frame is the first frame you are actually acting so the end lag should be (IASA - last active frame - 1). I was just using (IASA - last active frame).

Finanzberater

Smash Rookie
Starting to o main her, thank you very much for this guide. i am still troubeling to keep my bombs into the rythm because i only use them vor recovery and edgeguarding i cant simply believe they only usefull in these two situations.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Could you go in to more detail on this? How long should you wait between pummels?
I think it's only 10 frames. Like, all you have to do is not hit the first actionable frame following the pummel. So you only have to slow down a tiny bit. I haven't confirmed this though and don't have a capture card to get the exact frame on which this works. Try it yourself though. Get a dummy to high percent in a regular mode. Shoot 9 times with uncharged CS, then pummel them as fast as you can, then shoot a CS. It's still pretty stale. Do the same thing, but slow down your pummels. The CS is fresh.

Omerta187

Smash Rookie
I main Samus in melee as well as sm4sh, and missile lag canceling can often be used as a safe approach (SH-->Missile-->Follow Missile) because of being able to immediately sprint behind the hitbox of the Super (in melee).

I tried a variation of this in sm4sh, any thoughts? After using Super Missile repeatedly, I can often catch people off guard with a Homing Missile --> follow missile-->Grab --> Grab combo (usually as many up airs as possible). Are there any real risks in doing this? A lot of the time opponents just hold shield and don't know how to react to the Homing Missile when they get used to the speed of a Super. I'm not super big on tailoring percents together, but rather any conceivable punishes behind this. For example, you are my opponent and I do this. How do you react?

Zyriliss

Smash Rookie
I know it's late and this guide has been out for a long while.. But seriously? I was severely out of practice and no meta game (8% FG wins and losing to 8's sometimes.. yes that bad).. And just glancing off this guide for a couple weeks got my skills back in shape and brought my FG percent to 39! In just a couple weeks! xD

So now that I've made myself sound like some lame ad.. This thing tells you exactly how to get a decent Samus up and running.. THANK YOU! ^_^

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I know it's late and this guide has been out for a long while.. But seriously? I was severely out of practice and no meta game (8% FG wins and losing to 8's sometimes.. yes that bad).. And just glancing off this guide for a couple weeks got my skills back in shape and brought my FG percent to 39! In just a couple weeks! xD

So now that I've made myself sound like some lame ad.. This thing tells you exactly how to get a decent Samus up and running.. THANK YOU! ^_^
I'm glad it has been helpful to you. Always great to get feedback like this :)

Top Bottom