• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Out of the demo 5, which character is the strongest?

Who is the best character out of the demo 5?

• Mario

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Link

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Megaman

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Villager

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters

Roarzcorp

Smash Cadet
So after playing a few days now with the demo.. which of the characters would you consider to be the strongest or the one most likely to win?

Roarzcorp

Smash Cadet
Yea may agree with pika being weird.. playing pika I havent been super successful whilst playing with the other characters was more of a pay off

GoddessOfLamps

Smash Ace
The Villager can be very good if you know how to use him. Seriously that Side smash is insanely strong, the down special is also amazing and pocket can be very useful.

EDIT: I can also see the Villager being very broken in team battles (especially when paired with another Villager).

Last edited:

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
The only character I can actually play and manage to win is Pikachu. xD He lacks killing power, and thunder is now a little hard to use, but his aerials, dodges and tilts feel so fluent.

But as the strongest right now I guess I'd pick Mario.

DreadToaster

Smash Rookie
Mario or Villager.

Can someone tell me why Link is considered to be so good? His running-A is really good and his d-air spikes now but he doesn't feel too different aside from that. I guess they buffed his arrows too.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mario or Villager. Pikachu feels the same (good, but not best), and while I love Megaman and spent like 90% of my demo time playing as him, he's really hard-countered by Cape, Pocket, and Link's shield blocking/absorbing/reflecting most of his attacks.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Mario or Villager.

Can someone tell me why Link is considered to be so good? His running-A is really good and his d-air spikes now but he doesn't feel too different aside from that. I guess they buffed his arrows too.
His fair, nair, and bair have very little landing lag so they can be thrown out for zoning. He has the furthest melee reach out of everyone in the demo. You can drop bombs without them exploding and do an aerial in the same jump. Basically he's a lot better at stage control now.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I think it's a tie between Link and Villager.

Link is seriously strong this time, and Villager has some really OP stuff.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure, the characters I've played most is Mega Man and I can beat fairly easy any cpu lv9 but Mario, for now I think it's mostly based on matchup, Mario is good against MM, Pikachu is good against Mario, and on

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
The hero of time has climbed up the ranks for sure. He's not like Mario who can has insane combos, but I like how he has good ranged moves that cover him and that his dash attack follows up with pretty much any of his specials (besides up).

I would have said Mario since you can literally combo someone from 0% to 70% then all you have to do is manage to KO them and against a real player and cpu, it's predictable.

Pikachu my main feels odd, but I might have to get used to him.

Megaman feels defensive in my opinion. In Sudden Deaths, his leaf shield + throw and a b-air usually decides the match. Getting in close seems like a risk as if I miss I get punished hard. Or if I hit with a move it deals high percentage.

Villager gets around easy, I wouldn't mess with he/her if they were a real person.

DreadToaster

Smash Rookie
His fair, nair, and bair have very little landing lag so they can be thrown out for zoning. He has the furthest melee reach out of everyone in the demo. You can drop bombs without them exploding and do an aerial in the same jump. Basically he's a lot better at stage control now.
Oh, cool. I guess I never really played around with his aerials aside from Dair and Uair. His kicks were always a little weak in the other Smashes so I guess I assumed they'd be weak in this too. Neat though, I'll have to give him another go.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Mario or Link.

Mario because he is a combo king, as always. *coughsexceptinBrawlcoughs*

Link because of massive buffs all around. In particular, his bombs. While he may not be able to bomb jump anymore (you can't attack your own bombs), his bomb has had incredible improvements in regards to its actual function. Notably, a bomb that hits an opponent will not damage you. This is huge, because it sets up a whole new array of options for Link. Bomb throw can link into Jab, Grab, Utilt, Ftilt, Usmash, and etc. Additionally while in the air, a downwards bomb throw sets up perfectly for an Nair, Uair, or even a Dair spike. Other notable buffs are his Dash Attack which is like a running smash attack, and his Fsmash which reliably links to the second hit now.

Clicky

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1263-7992-8882
Mario or Villager.

I never mained Link and I'm no pro, but in the demo he feels like he can spend a little more time in the air. Especially compared to Brawl where he would drop like a rock. He feels like he has been sped up a little, both in terms of movement and attacking. That combined with some reasonable air-time seems to make him much more usable. I'm really liking it and I feel that he is far more viable now.

That being said, out of the 5 I think that I will be most impressed with what players can do with Villager.

Has anyone made a thread polling which character people expect to main in the full game? I'd be really interested to see the distribution.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I think Link is the most versatile and because of that the strongest

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Can't decide between mario and link.

I feel like with tap jump off, I'd be better as pikachu, but demo version. ;-;

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Mario. His attacks are faster and smoother than Pikachu and do more damage, he doesn't have to rely on fairly slow KO moves like Villager, and in general he performs better than Mega Man.

Link is the only other contender for top spot, but his recovery is still terrible even after being buffed, so he can't really edgeguard, which none of the other characters have issues with. He also doesn't have a good meteor smash, so Mario can still manage to get earlier KOs than him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom