• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of Shield Options

Azureflame

Smash Rookie
What are good out of shield options Ike can use to punish/get pressure off of him? Up-Tilt I've been told is a good option but it keeps getting perfect shielded and then I get punished. Is there anything else that is good?

Arrei

Smash Lord
For the most part you'll want to jab, grab, or Dtilt. Jab's the quickest option and has good reach as well, while the other two are a little slower but lead to followups. Utilt is more for punishing landings and securing the kill, as it has as much or more knockback than many characters' Usmashes - it isn't too slow but you need to wait for the right moment to use that one.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Also of note: Jab 2 has pretty good range and comes out very quickly after Jab 1. So if they're a bit of a ways away but you want to OoS them, try to hammer out Jab 2 ASAP.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
OoS jab is one of the best OoS moves in the neutral. High range, good damage, combos.

Other OoS moves you can do is F-Tilt for a punish, you can even OoS instant Dash Attack for a kill off a shielded smash attack. It only takes ~16 frames for it to come out if you C-Stick down right as you dash.

Down tilt OoS is good for a combo starter. I'd prefer it over grab unless it's a guaranteed dash grab punish, as Ike's standing grab is rather bad.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Can go for Aether but that's super risky.
Yeah. I think it works best out of shield if you're beside the ledge so that you can retreat. You can possibly drag them into an aetherspike if they DI away from the stage, or you could jump off the ledge and f-air/n-air if they bounce off the stage instead.

It's a decent option, just not exactly reliable.

I'm sorta surprised that no one's mentioned b-air. I get that it can't hit some characters during their standing/crouching/certain animations, but I would think it's worth mentioning. It's one of our quickest options out of shield.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
In most cases where you can do a OoS RAR B-Air it's more consistent to otherwise OoS turnaround Jab. On floaties at low percents Jab 1 lets you down tilt or go for a mix-up grab. There's more reward off OoS Jab than stalling your Back Air.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I agree on jab 1 usually being more optimal. B-air finds its best use as a kill move, out of shield or otherwise.

When you just want damage however, b-air, jab, or anything else mentioned here can work. If you want b-air at full strength after you use it'll take little more than a jab combo or a grab + pummels. Or something like that. I don't want to ask here, but I don't know exactly how staling/refreshing works in this game.

Top Bottom