• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of Shield Options

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
As the title says, what are some of your go-to out of shield options? I have a bad habit of instinctively trying to shield grab all the time, which usually gets punished horribly, so I'm looking for a few more suggestions.

Dura Mater

Smash Rookie
I like to either wavedash backwards OoS depending on the character I'm facing or Jump OoS -> Magnet -> DJC Uair or Fair. You have to be careful to do the latter very quickly or it could end badly though. Maybe it's possible to do Jump OoS and Zair while moving backwards in the air to help increase your spacing, but I just thought of that right now so I don't know how effective that would be.

_slydz

Smash Rookie
Maybe it's possible to do Jump OoS and Zair while moving backwards in the air to help increase your spacing, but I just thought of that right now so I don't know how effective that would be.
Yeah, you can zair out of an airdodge by hitting A during it, but you have to let go of the shield button before you do the airdodge if you don't use the same button (I use R to shield and L for airdodge). I feel like it would be a good OoS option, especially if you mix up the timing and direction of the airdodge, but I haven't tried it either.

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you can zair out of an airdodge by hitting A during it, but you have to let go of the shield button before you do the airdodge if you don't use the same button (I use R to shield and L for airdodge). I feel like it would be a good OoS option, especially if you mix up the timing and direction of the airdodge, but I haven't tried it either.
I really like this idea, particularly against characters that don't have big disjointed hitboxes. I think you could use this to get away from people with swords or that are named Sheik, and wavedash back/retreating nair for people with shorter ranges.

I've had mixed results using magnet out of shield, but I think that's because my fingers are slow and awkward. Oos magnet -> wavedash back seems, on paper, like a safe way to retreat and potentially start a combo at the same time.

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
Isn't Burst our fastest ability, in terms of how quickly the frames come out? Something like frame 2?

Edit: Just went and checked the frame data, Burst comes out on frame 2, compared to Dair/Nair on frame 3 and Fair/Magnet on 4.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Burst is really good OoS. Sometimes djc nair is really good if they cross over your shield behind you because the landing hitbox hits in front and behind Lucas.

Top Bottom