• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of Controller - Artwork Inspired by Nintendo Characters (Melbourne)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer

Media Release
The Nintendo characters have escaped and are running loose in our world!

We’re inviting you to paint, draw, sculpt, design, and go bananas with the Nintendo characters as they run wild in your imagination. What exactly do they get up to outside the game? You show us!

The competition has over $4000 in cash and prizes to be won, as well as the exclusive chance to present a game idea to Nintendo Australia.

In addition to having the work on display at Melbourne’s FAD Gallery from September 10th – September 27th, submissions will be immortalised in an online gallery and in the printed collectible exhibition catalogue.

FAD Gallery has been one of Melbourne’s iconic art galleries since 1995. The venue and bar hosts regular exhibitions, comedy nights, DJs and other events. Situated in the heart of Melbourne in Chinatown at 14 Corrs Lane, it’s the perfect location for young Australian artists to display their creativity at a place where you can lounge, chat, admire great artworks and have a drink at the same time.

The exhibition/competition is open to the public, encouraging Nintendo fans, young professionals in the arts and design communities as well as Game Designers/Developers in Australia. All 2D and 3D entries must be original and must respond to the Exhibition’s theme.

Key professionals have been invited to judge the winners out of the entries and will also be present to open the exhibition on Opening Night. These include Jason Hill (Games Editor, The Age), Greg Arthurton (Marketing Director, Nintendo Australia), Jeremy Yuille (Interaction Design Researcher, ACID), Anthony Hetrih, and Drew Taylor.

The Awards include:
Ultimate winner: receives $2000 Cash + Wii Pack
Second prize: Nintendo Wii Pack
Third prize: Nintendo DS Pack
The Bonus Awards include:
Game Designer Prize: $500 + the chance to present a game idea to Nintendo Australia
Open Category: $500 + Nintendo DS Pack

Entry of work into the competition costs $20, with every entry receiving a special limited edition Nintendo merchandise gift pack. Entry forms and further information are available to download from outofcontroller.com.au.

All Entries must be sent in by the 15th of August 2008.

If you’ve ever wanted to free the Nintendo characters and take them in a different direction, this is your chance.

What would happen if Mario had nobody controlling him? Does he have a life outside the games? What’s his day job? Does Peach run a multi-national company in her spare time? Would Wario really wear yellow if he had a say? Can Pikachu quote Seinfeld verbatim?

What do you imagine the characters do with their spare time?

Get creative and show us!

Out Of Controller is brought to you by Goldie Marketing (outofcontroller@goldiemarketing.com.au) and Meanwhile…

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Melbourne is too fricken cool. I wish I lived their....

In QLD the most cultural experience is probably the used beer can artwork competition that ran last month.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Melbourne is too fricken cool. I wish I lived their....

In QLD the most cultural experience is probably the used beer can artwork competition that ran last month.
Excuse me, but sorry to crap on you, but QLD is awesome.

Brisbane Art Gallery at this time has THE PICASSO exhibit.
THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF HUMAN KIND THAT HIS ARTWORK HAS BEEN SHOWN IN PUBLIC GALLERIES OUTSIDE OF EUROPE.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
What you mean is it's the first time his personal collection has been outside of Europe; his regular collection has been seen all over the world. So don't be suprised if, say, I told you I've seen some of his works a few years back.

Anyways, I'm gonna design a Woxy!

PS - GoMA also had the Andy Warhol exhibit, but colourful Campbells Tomato Soup Cans don't really interest me.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Hahaha I was just joking calm down....

Once you have been to the Louvre and the Accademia Gallery in Florence it all pales in comparison...

I went to the Andy Warhol exhibit it pretty interesting

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
bump - this starts on wednesday? anyone want to come with me call me on my new number, if you dont have it plz find it :) the gallery is also a bar, so, smashdfest?

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I wish i knew about this sooner. I would have entered ;_;

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
How'd I miss this thread?

Artwork should be awesome :D

If you're there and can speak to the winner, tell him to bug Ninty to find out what's going on with Club Nintendo Australia

Top Bottom