• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Systems of Reasoning are Useless

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The thread title is an exaggeration. But I just wanna get a point across. I'm kinda tired of seeing people being so dogmatic about their arguments for why characters should/could/shouldn't/couldn't be in Smash 4. We come up with all of these silly systems and formulas for why characters make more or less sense. And then when Sakurai's decisions go against those rules, we make up some new system that facilitates it and then proceed to bash people's ideas in the same way as before with our new, "inerrant" systems.

Things like "Well now that W.F.T. is in, it wouldn't make any sense to include Miis, since there's only ever 1 "hardware franchise" rep in any game," or "This character has only been in 1 game in the franchise. One-off characters shouldn't be in Smash" are really silly arguments to make.

Do we seriously think that Sakurai filters his choices through these "rules" that we have come to so eagerly defend/attack people's ideas with? Do we really think that Sakurai chose Wii Fit Trainer to "represent" the "casual" "franchise?" Get real, guys. We know very little about the way Sakurai thinks, and our rules are delusional.

I just wanna challenge people to be more open-minded about ideas that they aren't a big fan of. Sakurai has made it clear with his inclusion of W.F.T. that this community (in general, not all-inclusively) is entirely out of touch with Sakurai's values.

Now I'm not saying that Sakurai doesn't HAVE a system by which he filters character requests or ideas. But let's not pretend like we know exactly what it is. Let's not pretend that whatever rules we come up with are foolproof. Let's not pretend like we know without a shadow of a doubt what "makes sense."

Oh, and I'm not targeting any specific people here, nor is this meant as some sort of attack on the community. I think there are tons of really smart people here, and a lot of the logic that some people present is SOUND. But Smash Bros. is not a franchise that is designed by means of perfectly sound logic.

My 2¢.

EDIT: inb4 "cool story bros," and other such posts pointing out the lost cause of idealism.

DefenseTech

Smash Apprentice
The thread title is an exaggeration. But I just wanna get a point across. I'm kinda tired of seeing people being so dogmatic about their arguments for why characters should/could/shouldn't/couldn't be in Smash 4. We come up with all of these silly systems and formulas for why characters make more or less sense. And then when Sakurai's decisions go against those rules, we make up some new system that facilitates it and then proceed to bash people's ideas in the same way as before with our new, "inerrant" systems.

Things like "Well now that W.F.T. is in, it wouldn't make any sense to include Miis, since there's only ever 1 "hardware franchise" rep in any game," or "This character has only been in 1 game in the franchise. One-off characters shouldn't be in Smash" are really silly arguments to make.

Do we seriously think that Sakurai filters his choices through these "rules" that we have come to so eagerly defend/attack people's ideas with? Do we really think that Sakurai chose Wii Fit Trainer to "represent" the "casual" "franchise?" Get real, guys. We know very little about the way Sakurai thinks, and our rules are delusional.

I just wanna challenge people to be more open-minded about ideas that they aren't a big fan of. Sakurai has made it clear with his inclusion of W.F.T. that this community (in general, not all-inclusively) is entirely out of touch with Sakurai's values.

Now I'm not saying that Sakurai doesn't HAVE a system by which he filters character requests or ideas. But let's not pretend like we know exactly what it is. Let's not pretend that whatever rules we come up with are foolproof. Let's not pretend like we know without a shadow of a doubt what "makes sense."

Oh, and I'm not targeting any specific people here, nor is this meant as some sort of attack on the community. I think there are tons of really smart people here, and a lot of the logic that some people present is SOUND. But Smash Bros. is not a franchise that is designed by means of perfectly sound logic.

My 2¢.

EDIT: inb4 "cool story bros," and other such posts pointing out the lost cause of idealism.

The community needs to be attacked...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Legit. People argue because they don't have a SSB4 to play. I think the arguing and dissection of Sakurai's motives come from simple anticipation. Smash Bros. is a big deal to a lot of people, and unfortunately many feel entitled to get their favorites in the game. As WFT proves, hope for the best and expect nothing. As Mega Man proves, even your wildest dreams CAN come true. Just stay positive about the fact that we've now entered the age of SSB4. It's real now, and it's awesome.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
You have a point. We are taking these arguments in consideration though as reasons why they couldn't have appeared in, rather than reasons why they would get denied. I really doubt if a character got denied it'd be for a petty reason like the ones we have.

HI HEX ITS BEEN SO LONG you need to do more Paper ____ on your deviantart

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Many systems of reasoning are folly, yes. Not all, thought.
I prefer well constructed arguments, that's where I'd support anyone.
Here's a lesson from a long story made short: Know all you possibly can, inform yourself before you make an opinion or decision. Know the arguments, for and against. As Descartes, the founder of Rationalism said: "If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

I think I'm starting to see the reason behind the incredible stretches of reason people go through when such silly arguments are presented, maybe because of anxiety, or they are trying to prove something? I certainly won't ever know lest they explain it in full, humans are far too complex.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Oh look it's Hex

You don't remember me but it's good to see you back

Anyway, I agree with you entirely, these are the kind of points I've been making for months now

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
For some reason I've now been expecting the worst because being open-minded sounds way too risky to me and am just going to eat up what I get. Not very hyped though because I don't feel being in touch with this game much. (Mega Man aside.)

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
The fact that WFT exists is proof enough that Sakurai does things just to throw people's sense of logic out the window. People take these games waaay to seriously.

I kinda laugh when I see people argue, oh Wii Fit Trainer doesn't fit in Smash Bros. Snake doesn't fit in Smash Bros. R.O.B. doesn't fit in Smash Bros.

That's the whole point of these games. None of these characters fit together!

It's bounty hunter Samus Aran fighting a pink balloon Kirby. It's Link stabbing Yoshi with a sword. Where's the logic in any of that?

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai made it clear that when it comes to choosing new characters, there is only one single rule: "no rules".

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Very good point made here.

Sakurai has only one rule: Sakurai's rules

Top Bottom