• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OU Balanced Rain

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Yeeuuup, I've decided to add to the flow of politoeds that already swamp the OU metagame, creating the one thing every competitive battler gets tired of seeing. Behold my Rain Team!

Politoed (I am a Frog)@ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Trait: Drizzle

-Scald
-Encore
-Toxic
-Protect

...Sets up Rain. Not much else to say.
Creates a somewhat durable defensive core with Virizion, taking the neutral physical hits she otherwise couldn't. Encore and Toxic are for disrupting and potentially crippling threats on the opponent's team.
8 Speed is to get the jump on opposing defensive politoed. Because I can.

Vizizion (Neigh) @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Trait: Justified

-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Focus Blast

My response to Sand and opposing rain. She pairs well with politoed defensively, and can take the grass and electric attacks aimed at him. She futher aids him by taking out opposing Hippowdon, tyranitar, and Abomasnow (Lol, Focus Miss) that try to take his weather away. Works as an effective cleaner in the late game. She aids Thundurus-T in taking down physical walls, helping pave the way for Gyarados to sweep.

Thundurus-T (Catfish) @ Choice Specs/Expert Belt/ Choice Scarf (I'm debating)
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Trait:

Volt Absorb is nice on Rain Teams. Especially when it's two most important pokemon are weak to electric. Therian is here to basically make my opponent think twice before attempting to take Politoed or Gyarados down with electric type moves. Volt absorb gives me a solid defense against volt turn cores. With Volt Switch, he pairs nicely with Scizor, creating his own Volturn combo.

He is my best response to Ferrothorn, and helps make less obvious opportunities for Espeon to switch in. (especially when checking leads like Deoxys-D).

Espeon (Spongy) @ Light Clay
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Trait: Magic Bounce

-Psychic
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Baton Pass

Espeon fulfills multiple roles for my team. Dual Screens helps my team tank hits better since it doesn't actually contain any dedicated walls. Intimidate + Reflect helps Gyarados find easier opportunities to set up and sweep. One good set up chance can be all my team needs to turn the game around.

Magic bounce bounces back Stealth rock, which will eat away at my team quickly, especially if placed early. Lastly, she gives my team a bit of protection against status.

Gyarados (Fido) @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
176 HP / 128 Att / 204 Spe
Trait: Intimidate

- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance

My loyal Fido. basically ****'s things up once he's had a chance to set up in the opponent's face. +1 Waterfall in the rain is a menace even without full investment. Although, with duel screens, intimidate, and taunt to block status and Phazing, it's usually not to difficult to get a second or even third dragon dance up.

EQ is chosen because Ice Fang is lol, Stone Miss is makes me mad, and bounce is also lol. It also gives him a more solid way of hurting Ninetales when sun is up.

Scizor ( Squish Me?) @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
248 HP / 252 Att / 8 SpD
Trait: Technician

-Bullet Punch
-SuperPower
-U-Turn
-Pursuit

U-turn, U-turn, U-turn, U-turn...

CB Scizor in the early game in a nutshell. But it's effective <3
Scizor completes the volturn combo with Therian. His priority helps my team pick off frail and weakened threats.

Most importantly, he's a steel type.

Overal goal of the team is to wear away at the opponent long enough to give either Gyarados or Virizion a chance to set up and sweep (Usually Gyarados). Biggest problems to this team currently are Sun, ironically, and LO starmie.

LO starmie carrying Psyshock puts the hurt my whole team, bar scizor at full health. She's the sole reason I've considered placing a scarf on Therian.

I'm not sure how to fix the problem with sun.
Replacing Scizor, perhaps?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Your pictures don't work and you don't even have Thundy's set (however, it's not difficult to assume). Fix this up. I'll give a tiny rate with what I can see.

Use Sub > Taunt and Stone Edge or even Bounce > EQ on Gyara

Espeon is doing nothing on your team since Screens is best to help set-up sweepers, and both your sweepers have considerable bulk when setting up thanks to CM and intimidate, so screens really aren't needed. Replace it with:

Heatran@Leftovers
Flash Fire/Calm
248HP/252SpD/8Spe
Lava Plume
Stealth Rock
Toxic
Roar

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Terrakion > Heatran/Espeon.
What does Terrakion contribute over Heatran other than making him lose to Sun worse? I understand Heatran is mediocre on a Rain team due to compounding water weaknesses on a tank but for the weather match-up he's wonderful.

Dragonite > Thundurus-T.
...Except if he opts for Scarf (which he probly should, ADD THAT TO MY TEAM RATING GO SCARF THUNDY) Dragonite can't replace the role at all, and does it even worse... Not to mention Dragonite is actually pretty mediocre on rain.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Terrakion destroys all of Sun except Chlorophyll. Dragonite beats those chlorophyll Pokemon and is OP under Rain. With Terrkion they work perfect together.

:phone:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
-Replacing Espeon with Heatran

-Placing a Scarf on Therian

- Will test out Haxorus over virizion

Thanks Ulti, IceArrow. It hadn't occured to me to try using Heatran on a rain-based team. I'll try that and see how it works.

Confirming Scarf on Therian.

I'm a little hesitant about replacing Virizion. She's been a great asset to the team offensively and defensively. You never know though, so I'll test it out.

Will also make changes to the OP once I get around to a computer.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Oh, he edited in that replacement and I didn't see it. He just wants to turn your team into some **** Dragon offense team. Virizion really does fit the slot better, especially since it can take out weakened Chlorophyll users by tanking an HP Ice/Fire and retaliating with HP Ice.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Haxorus is the best Scarfer for a Rain team. His Aqua Tail is very strong and his Earthquake hits Gengar, Bronzong, and especially Rotom-W. But ya, Dragons in Rain are OP with Heatran.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
But this isn't a Dragon HO team.

And Haxorus is general is mediocre as ****. It's only gimmick is being able to EQ levitators and is outclassed by another Dragon for every other role. If any Dragon would end up fitting onto this team it would be a Lati over Virizion, NOT Haxorus or Dragonite over any slot.

Stop giving bad rates plz.

So yeah, only if the suggestion changes DON'T work out:

Latias@Leftovers
Levitate/Timid
252HP/4SpA/252Spe
Calm Mind
Recover
Dragon Pulse
Psyshock

Would be worth a shot.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
This team is very weak to Rotom-W. If Verizion dies they sweep. Haxorus is a guaranteed counter to it. Dragonite is built for Rain, what are you talking about? Celebi. Celebi is better than Latias for this situation.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Thundurus can still revenge Rotom-W or come in on an electric move if they faint, BTW. 145 SpA Thunders it like trucks. You don't need some piece of **** mon like Haxorus to deal with it, especially when you're suggesting HAXORUS TO REPLACE THE ONLY ROTOM-W COUNTER ON THE TEAM.

Celebi fills the slot as a sort of inbetween to Virizion and Latias, but as a Calm Minder it's the worst of the 3.

Stop being wrong so much IceArrow.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I would make a response but that is a discussion for a non-RMT thread.

Keep this on-topic.

Vashimus

Smash Master
This team is very weak to Rotom-W. If Verizion dies they sweep.
That's why most rain teams carry Ferrothorn so you don't have to worry about this. Ferro also deals with Gastrodon, who also gives rain teams problems. You can run Grass Knot on Thundurus-T for it, but then you lose out on important coverage, assuming you run both Volt Switch and Thunder.

Top Bottom