• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Other M Voice?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
As we all know other M added alot more story to the metroid series, which included giving samus a proper voice, my question is will they bring in Jessica Martin or just reuse Alesia Glidewells clips from brawl

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Samus had a proper voice in the first Metroid Prime, it just didn't get used.

Scroll down to the second "unused audio" player.

Jennifer Hale is best Samus, by far, though I'm sure we'll get Other Samus's voice. Long as she doesn't have the awful direction she was given in Other M (and she's actually a competent VA(and it turns out she is)), I don't much care, especially since she should keep her trap shut in the suit.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Samus had a proper voice in the first Metroid Prime, it just didn't get used.

Scroll down to the second "unused audio" player.

Jennifer Hale is best Samus, by far, though I'm sure we'll get Other Samus's voice. Long as she doesn't have the awful direction she was given in Other M (and she's actually a competent VA), I don't much care, especially since she should keep her trap shut in the suit.
I think she could be decent but she needs to try not to sound like a robot and more like an actual person

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think she could be decent but she needs to try not to sound like a robot and more like an actual person
Not her fault.

It's the direction Other M was going for.

Look at her resume. It's REALLY impressive. She's been on Doctor Who! :D

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
She was asked to sound like that, IIRC. She did use emotion upon initial recording, but Sakamoto wasn't having any of that.

At any rate, I think she'll still be silent/robotic-sounds only to differentiate her from Zero Suit Samus. Though it would be cool if she had Prime-esque grunts and damage screams.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Not her fault.

It's the direction Other M was going for.

Look at her resume. It's REALLY impressive. She's been on Doctor Who! :D
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disrespecting her as an actress I'm just saying her performance could've been better whether it's her fault or not

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's not like her voice wasn't devoid of emotion in Brawl either, but I still like it.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
there should be a taunt where if lets say she gets a ''thumbs up'' taunt this time around, if she does three time in a row the thumbs up taunt an easter egg will play where she will talk about the fighters currently in battle like she would in other m

''that's mario, i remember when mario traveled through the galaxies, and other times he would have a super soaker on his back. mario's a brave man, a brave man like someones who does things others won't''

it would be boring as ****

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't want her to speak while in the suit, it has sort of become a Smash thing to have Samus sound like a robot. However, it's pretty obvious that we'll be hearing Jessica Martin as ZSS, and I'm honestly excited to hear if they allow her to express herself a lot more than Sakamoto did. She's got the voice imo, and that's about all you need for Smash.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
there should be a taunt where if lets say she gets a ''thumbs up'' taunt this time around, if she does three time in a row the thumbs up taunt an easter egg will play where she will talk about the fighters currently in battle like she would in other m

''that's mario, i remember when mario traveled through the galaxies, and other times he would have a super soaker on his back. mario's a brave man, a brave man like someones who does things others won't''

it would be boring as ****
I think a way around that would be to either A: not actually do it, or...
B: actually put some imagination into it. Like reference the Subspace Emissary by having her speak of the time she helped Pikachu. unlike some people, I actually like how Other M portrayed Samus for the most part.

I DEFINITELY don't like the Ridley scene though. that's something I'll be rectifying in one of my fanfics......

besides that fact, I think the only change to Zero Suit Samus' Taunts will probably be her lines/voice. or her animations a little.
I don't want her to speak while in the suit, it has sort of become a Smash thing to have Samus sound like a robot. However, it's pretty obvious that we'll be hearing Jessica Martin as ZSS, and I'm honestly excited to hear if they allow her to express herself a lot more than Sakamoto did. She's got the voice imo, and that's about all you need for Smash.
I agree. I'm hoping they change the personality originally given to Samus by the makers of Other M. I liked her in that game/movie, but I didn't exactly love it. she needs a slightly better personality and I need to hurry up and write a fanifc so I can rectify the Ridley scene. that's really all I can say here.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, this time since Sakamoto's not in charge, I hope Jessica Martin gets to reprise Samus in more proper than in Other M. (Emotion-wise)

Maikou

Smash Ace
Well, this time since Sakamoto's not in charge, I hope Jessica Martin gets to reprise Samus in more proper than in Other M. (Emotion-wise)
Yeah, I definitely agree there. For me, personally, I like knowing Samus' personality from the games. I can't read the manga. unfortunately, Other M screwed up on the one thing that could totally make the game. Samus herself.

honestly the voice was good, great even. it was amazing to hear Samus talk for once, instead of, say.....reading her personal recollection of events or reading the dialogue between her and a computor program that reminded her of her CO (Metroid Fusion). but sadly the director was an idiot. and possibly sexist. -_-'

I'm kind of hoping Nintendo takes another chance, and rehires the voice crew from Other M for a movie that's more Samus. I love most things about Metroid Other M. mostly the regard of the gameplay from what I've seen, definitely love how the suit isn't overly bulky anymore. it looks a lot more awesome than the Smash Bros. power suit, that's for sure. the only complaint about from what I can tell that I can make is the way Samus is portrayed. plus the constant narrator thing going on was kind of annoying.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yeah, I definitely agree there. For me, personally, I like knowing Samus' personality from the games. I can't read the manga. unfortunately, Other M screwed up on the one thing that could totally make the game. Samus herself.

honestly the voice was good, great even. it was amazing to hear Samus talk for once, instead of, say.....reading her personal recollection of events or reading the dialogue between her and a computor program that reminded her of her CO (Metroid Fusion). but sadly the director was an idiot. and possibly sexist. -_-'

I'm kind of hoping Nintendo takes another chance, and rehires the voice crew from Other M for a movie that's more Samus. I love most things about Metroid Other M. mostly the regard of the gameplay from what I've seen, definitely love how the suit isn't overly bulky anymore. it looks a lot more awesome than the Smash Bros. power suit, that's for sure. the only complaint about from what I can tell that I can make is the way Samus is portrayed. plus the constant narrator thing going on was kind of annoying.
I guess the creator thought of samus as a different character than the rest of us, most people think of her as this badass who can do anything but I guess he wanted to show her as an actual person but it was just kinda weird and unexpected

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I guess the creator thought of samus as a different character than the rest of us, most people think of her as this badass who can do anything but I guess he wanted to show her as an actual person but it was just kinda weird and unexpected
I want Samus to be an actual person too, and I like most of the way she was characterized. I like the in-the-moment actiony warrior parts.

unfortunately, real or fiction a bounty hunter gone on three missions on her own by that point should NOT have freaked out as much as she did. a less exagurated freak out would have worked. Samus didn't expect Ridley, and since the ending of Super Metroid was recent by that point, Samus wasn't exactly as strong as she should have been.

my personal, making sense of everything Metroid timeline goes like this:
Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission.
Metroid II the Return of Samus
Super Metroid.
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Prime.
Metroid Prime Hunters.
Metroid Prime II Echoes.
Metroid Prime III Corruption.
Metroid Fusion.

did I miss a game? it goes in order from top down to bottom.
I don't think of Samus as a stone cold bounty hunter with no emotions like most people do. I just think she's naturally awesome from her Chozo DNA.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I want Samus to be an actual person too, and I like most of the way she was characterized. I like the in-the-moment actiony warrior parts.

unfortunately, real or fiction a bounty hunter gone on three missions on her own by that point should NOT have freaked out as much as she did. a less exagurated freak out would have worked. Samus didn't expect Ridley, and since the ending of Super Metroid was recent by that point, Samus wasn't exactly as strong as she should have been.

my personal, making sense of everything Metroid timeline goes like this:
Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission.
Super Metroid.
Metroid Prime.
Metroid Prime Hunters.
Metroid Prime II Echoes.
Metroid Prime III Corruption.
Metroid Fusion.

did I miss a game? it goes in order from top down to bottom.
I don't think of Samus as a stone cold bounty hunter with no emotions like most people do. I just think she's naturally awesome from her Chozo DNA.
The official timeline goes
Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime II Echoes
Metroid Prime III Corruption
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
So I guess it's kinda strange she'd freak out over ridley since it does come after metroid 1 and the prime games and it takes place right after super metroid

Maikou

Smash Ace
The official timeline goes
Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime II Echoes
Metroid Prime III Corruption
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
So I guess it's kinda strange she'd freak out over ridley since it does come after metroid 1 and the prime games and it takes place right after super metroid
Source please?

seriously if this is real then screw timelines in general. plus as far as I know the Metroids are supposed to be wiped out by the time Samus to Talon IV.

and in the end my timeline makes more sense

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Again, in the end my timeline makes more sense. if Metroid Other M takes place just before Fusion and AFTER all the other games, where's the PED Suit then? Why wouldn't Samus have the Dark and/or Light beams? Why would the Plasma beam no longer fire lava and instead be a piercing beam like before?

Look, I'm just saying the Metroid timeline doesn't make sense. in fact I plan to rewrite the timeline in one of my fanfictions to actually make sense.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
i think people who think other m was sexist are sexist themself.

why would you immediately think just because samus was ''under the command'' of a man, while usually she works alone and by herself this game is sexist? the whole authorized thing was nothing more than a gimmick, a change in the usually metroid gameplay. if you would say '' boy this authorized thing sure is stupid as fvck'' i would agree with you. i believe it was nothing more than a gimmick, i don't believe they added it just so they could show '' look how human samus actually is, even she needs the help of a man. i'm sakamoto **** you guys''

the thing is, if you think other m was sexist for it's way of handling things, i think you are too focused on the way is was elaborated. if you think just because samus is being ordered by a man is sexist you rather have a limited view on the issue. is a woman working under a man in real life sexist too? no. man and woman are equally. a man could also be working under the command of a woman. i would say if you think samus listening to adam to sexist you are making a feminist statement.

if that's the case - it's a ****ing video game. most of it's players are male, and metroid already has one of the most flashed out powerful woman in the game industry. it's entertainment.

the ridley ptsd freak out? i think it was just there so they could add some more drama, the kind of drama the manga had. didn't worked out. i don't think people should take it that seriously. she probably is going to blow the **** out of ridley again without a trace of any emotion in her in the next metroid game.

but what does it matter, other m is a train wreck as it is.

samus needs no man

Again, in the end my timeline makes more sense. if Metroid Other M takes place just before Fusion and AFTER all the other games, where's the PED Suit then? Why wouldn't Samus have the Dark and/or Light beams? Why would the Plasma beam no longer fire lava and instead be a piercing beam like before?

Look, I'm just saying the Metroid timeline doesn't make sense. in fact I plan to rewrite the timeline in one of my fanfictions to actually make sense.
great

you should send your version of the timeline to nintendo

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

When Phaaze exploded, Phazon was no more, so the PED suit would become useless, naturally. Samus returned Aether's technologies (Dark Beam, Light Beam, etc.) to the Luminoth after her mission there was done which is why you saw her with just the Varia Suit in the game's ending. I'll give you that on the Plasma Beam bit though, I suppose.

plus as far as I know the Metroids are supposed to be wiped out by the time Samus to Talon IV.

and in the end my timeline makes more sense
How would Metroids be wiped out by the time Samus goes to Tallon IV if they're around in the Phendrana labs, Phazon Mines, etc.?

I'm sorry, but the official timeline seems to make more sense than yours. It may not be perfect, but at least it's not the coughZeldatimelinecough.

Good to hear about Jessica Martin returning. Never cared for Samus's Brawl voice anyway.

Maikou

Smash Ace
How would Metroids be wiped out by the time Samus goes to Tallon IV if they're around in the Phendrana labs, Phazon Mines, etc.?

I'm sorry, but the official timeline seems to make more sense than yours. It may not be perfect, but at least it's not the coughZeldatimelinecough.

Good to hear about Jessica Martin returning. Never cared for Samus's Brawl voice anyway.
Um, hello?
Metroid.
Metroid 2
Super Metroid.
Metroid other M
Metroid Prime.

by this point in time in my timeline, Samus has gone to the planet SR388 and wiped out the Metroid queen. Zebes exploded soon afterwards causing the Metroids to be entirely wiped out. the baby's remnants on Samus' suit allowed the Galactic Federation to clone Metroids, but Adam blow the metroids up and left no trace behind in the explosion. by Metroid Prime in my timeline, the metroids are supposed to be completely gone, no remnants, no nothing. gone. null. no longer in existance in that universe. clearly the Federation made a mistake in keeping still more of the Metroid DNA leftover from the research and cloning, and Ridley (come on, there's no doubt he would revive even if Samus completley eradicated the Space Pirates. he a f***ing immortal space dragon-thing) stealing said DNA. for some reason my finger seems to like the letter Z over the letter A.

basically, through and through, by Metroid Prime in my timeline, the Metroids have completely nullified except for a few remnants and a secret vile.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Um, hello?
Metroid.
Metroid 2
Super Metroid.
Metroid other M
Metroid Prime.

by this point in time in my timeline, Samus has gone to the planet SR388 and wiped out the Metroid queen. Zebes exploded soon afterwards causing the Metroids to be entirely wiped out. the baby's remnants on Samus' suit allowed the Galactic Federation to clone Metroids, but Adam blow the metroids up and left no trace behind in the explosion. by Metroid Prime in my timeline, the metroids are supposed to be completely gone, no remnants, no nothing. gone. null. no longer in existance in that universe. clearly the Federation made a mistake in keeping still more of the Metroid DNA leftover from the research and cloning, and Ridley (come on, there's no doubt he would revive even if Samus completley eradicated the Space Pirates. he a f***ing immortal space dragon-thing) stealing said DNA. for some reason my finger seems to like the letter Z over the letter A.

basically, through and through, by Metroid Prime in my timeline, the Metroids have completely nullified except for a few remnants and a secret vile.
Didn't they make the prime series non-cannon anyway

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Um, hello?
Metroid.
Metroid 2
Super Metroid.
Metroid other M
Metroid Prime.

Ah. Well sorry to burst your bubble, but there's logbook scans and whatnot in Metroid Prime that say/suggest that Zebes is still around during that point in time; just Zebes' underground facilities (Tourian) were destroyed, explaining the events of Metroid I/Zero Mission. The plot synopsis in Metroid Prime's manual also had talks of rebuilding on Zebes (including mention of Mother Brain), thus leading up to the events of Super Metroid IIRC. Further evidence that the Prime series takes place before Super.

And in the Prime series, it was the Pirates who had Metroid DNA around and did research and cloning or whatever on them (with their Phazon evolution line and all), not the Federation. Mostly agree with you on the Ridley bit though. :p

Didn't they make the prime series non-cannon anyway
Um, no. They were mentioned to be more of a side story to the main series, but not non-canonical.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Ah. Well sorry to burst your bubble, but there's logbook scans and whatnot in Metroid Prime that say/suggest that Zebes is still around during that point in time; just Zebes' underground facilities (Tourian) were destroyed, explaining the events of Metroid I/Zero Mission. The plot synopsis in Metroid Prime's manual also had talks of rebuilding on Zebes (including mention of Mother Brain), thus leading up to the events of Super Metroid IIRC. Further evidence that the Prime series takes place before Super.

And in the Prime series, it was the Pirates who had Metroid DNA around and did research and cloning or whatever on them (with their Phazon evolution line and all), not the Federation. Mostly agree with you on the Ridley bit though. :p

Um, no. They were mentioned to be more of a side story to the main series, but not non-canonical.
....dang. well, I guess that just leaves fixing the Ridley scene. thanks for clearing that up :)

Top Bottom