• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orson, can you hear me? -- The "I Wish There Were More Pac Man World Representation" Thread

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
I like Pac-Man. I really do. I don't main him, but I'm really glad he got into Smash 4, being one of video games' oldest mascots. However...

What is with the sheer lack of Pac-Man World series representation?

Yes, I get that his appearance is based on the Pac Man World model. He even got a tiny, tiny nod to some Pac Man World 3 promotional art in his jump and in his official "Pac in Smash" art. But still, no other moveset references? No Pac Man World-based stages? None of the series's music? I would have loved to fight with the beautiful background of the Spectral Realm or something to give the series some proper representation.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm fine in terms of his moves not being from World, but it really bothers me that there isn't a single music track from those games.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I like Pac-Man. I really do. I don't main him, but I'm really glad he got into Smash 4, being one of video games' oldest mascots. However...

What is with the sheer lack of Pac-Man World series representation?

Yes, I get that his appearance is based on the Pac Man World model. He even got a tiny, tiny nod to some Pac Man World 3 promotional art in his jump and in his official "Pac in Smash" art. But still, no other moveset references? No Pac Man World-based stages? None of the series's music? I would have loved to fight with the beautiful background of the Spectral Realm or something to give the series some proper representation.

What are everyone else's thoughts?
I agree entirely on the lack of representation for the World games, but do keep in mind that his up air is his flip kick from World (2, specifically).

krakkenchaos

Smash Rookie
I like how Pac-Man plays, but the source material they chose to base his representation on doesn't make sense. Pac Land is a game that hasn't aged well at all and few people have played it. The trampoline isn't even from Pac-Man, but from Mappy, another game that has mostly been forgotten. As far as music, that's frustrating too. I like the inclusion of tracks from other Namco games like Bravoman and Libble Rabble, but the music in Pac-Man World 2 was really good and would've fit nicely. The music from Ms. Pac-Man's Maze Madness was even better. This is probably one of the best video game songs of all time.
Still, gameplay takes priority and Pac-Man is a fun and unique character.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I like how Pac-Man plays, but the source material they chose to base his representation on doesn't make sense. Pac Land is a game that hasn't aged well at all and few people have played it. The trampoline isn't even from Pac-Man, but from Mappy, another game that has mostly been forgotten. As far as music, that's frustrating too. I like the inclusion of tracks from other Namco games like Bravoman and Libble Rabble, but the music in Pac-Man World 2 was really good and would've fit nicely. The music from Ms. Pac-Man's Maze Madness was even better. This is probably one of the best video game songs of all time.
Still, gameplay takes priority and Pac-Man is a fun and unique character.
Only thing I don't agree with is the trampoline.

Trampoline is a nice reference. Mappy is highly underrated.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Me no think Pac needs more representation, (perhaps) unlike you I am scared to see Pac mains growing...am kinda selfish with Mr.WakaWaka lol.

Seriously, when the time comes, Pac will be at the top and many will be maining him. There will be a everlasting pramid of players who main him, divided ONLY by knowledge and skill...and I will be at the top..

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The Pac-Man Arcade game is more iconic than Pac-Man World, but Pac-Land was an extremely poor choice. Not only has the game not aged well, but I'd argue that it was never good to begin with. Considering that I grew up with Pac-Man World 2, I would have liked to see some representation from that game. A Spooky trophy would have been nice, or how about, you know, some actual music.

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
Butt Bounce Dair could function like Greninja's Dair. Also, as for the trampoline, why not turn it into a B'Doing pad like in the Pac Man World games, instead of taking source material from a very much non-Pac game?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Agreed with anyone saying they don't mind the lack of World representation in his moveset but are really disappointed about the lack of music. Technically, there are only 3 music tracks from the Pac-Man universe in the game. When I heard those fantastic remixes in the 3DS version, they got me excited for even more in the Wii U release...which had nothing new, just a bunch of lazy Namco arcade medleys. I'm fine with the Namco medleys, but couldn't they have at least remixed some of them? And did we really need Libble Rabble and Bravoman medleys? Couldn't they have just incorporated those tunes into the general Namco medleys?

Not only is Pac-Man World ignored, but so is the vast majority of the Pac-Man series in general. Mega Man's moveset and content sufficiently cover the whole NES anthology, while Sonic's content is spread out pretty well across his entire history. I understand that Pac-Man's claim to fame is the original arcade saga, and I expected those games to get preferential treatment from the start, but I didn't want them to act like the other games in the series don't exist. Off the top of my head, Smash completely ignores all of the Pac-Man World games, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac 'n Roll, Pac in Time, Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, the Pac-Man Championship Edition series, and Pac-Man Battle Royale. I know there are several other notable titles that went ignored. No music, no trophies, nothing. And while I don't mind much, it is rather odd that so little of his moveset can be traced to the World games, considering those were titles in which he actually participating in what most of us would recognize as combat. I guess Pac-Man is sort of in the same boat as Wario in that regard.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Man B-Doing Woods would've been great. Don't mind the only move he got from World was Uair, because Rev Roll would've been like Rollout, really.

I just wanted more music from the game. What a shame that a lot of the good music World / World 2 has was forgotten.

Top Bottom