• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Original vs Smash 4 Controller

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
My current controller is giving out so I'm looking to replace it. I have a pretty much new original purple controller (bought way back when) and one of the new Smash 4 controllers.

I'm aware that the new controllers tend to have sticky triggers, but how to the sticks compare? Or is there no real difference?

Any input and recommendations would be much appreciated!

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I used both before.
I don't know if it is because my purple original Gamecube controller is a bit old, but the buttons on the newer one feel far more definite and "clicky", the ones on the pruple one are far less definite. Also, I feel like the triggers are harder to pull on the new one.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
On the new one, the joystick modules have a habit of being crooked, as far as 45º in some extreme cases. The triggers also either use a different molding process or the entire mechanism itself is made out of a different type of plastic, but the triggers WILL catch going down and possibly when coming up if you push them down at an angle. This is fixable with a little sanding down and/or lubrication, such as Lug Lube used on instruments or another plastic-friendly silicone based lubricant, or coconut oil (all of which are used extremely sparingly).

Other than that, the long cord is just a pain in the ass. I tied a noose in mine to make it easier to handle.

Attachments

Last edited:

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
Use the triggers from the old controller and put them with the stick of the Sm4sh controller and use whatever buttons feel better to you.

ScrapHeap

Smash Cadet
So I'm assuming that the Sm4sh controller and a normal gamecube controller are nearly the same in terms of sensitivity to inputs? I read the link Pauer used, but I don't understand what the graph means.

Diosama

Stand User
Only real difference is the triggers. I personally find myself liking them better, then again, I used to use a 3rd part remote lmao

Top Bottom