• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Origin of your player names?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Mine's pretty simple, my favourite pokemon is Bouffalant (seen in my Avi) and he has a signature move called Head Charge (Afro Break in the japanese version), so I kind of adapted it from that.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Previously, I had played a very shallow jrpg with typical characters and an even more typical plot. Eventually, Idecided to try out a dungeon crawler jrpg for SNES, Shin Megami Tensei, after hearing things about it. That game probably had some of the most epic sequences of events I've ever seen. I could only describe it as having depth. Long story short, it changed my life. I picked up novels and even tried my hand at them myself. Soon, I'd like to make my own game with such an emotionally gripping and realistic story.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Roaches are one of my favorite bugs.
And I like cake.
So I combined them both for a truly delicious dessert. :estatic:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
As one might guess I have played some D&D in my time...
I have the dungeon master tag in a variety of other places, it's stuck with me for some time now.
I'm the 1st emperor of VGAnu, an old school 4X turn based strategy game. http://planets.nu/#/start
Which means I climbed the leaderboard then won a championship match against 10 other leaderboard champions. Not easy.

Incidentally I quite like cake and shin megami tensei too. Small world.

DM

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
Heck if I remember where S.P.A.D. comes from. That was seven years ago and I ain't got one clue why it's my name. Lavama came from some mangled form of Vakama and turned out to be an actual name...

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
As one might guess I have played some D&D in my time...
I'm a huge fan of tabletops and have been DM 80% of the time. Much respect to you, homeboy.

Depth is a great tag. Phonetically it's my favorite word in the english language. The mind image phenomenon that the word conjours, the image of the sea bed dropping off past visibility, I imagine existing inaide a Jacques Cousteau film. The meaning behind the wors, suggesting something meaningful as opposed to something transitory and superficial is something I can vibe.

Online, Smashboards and For Glory I use the tag GdspdUblkprzdnt (Godspeed You! Black President) it's a tag I came up with around the 2008 elections when Barack Obama was just a candidate. It's an homage to one of the bands that has influenced my musical identity and ethos the most: Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I used the tag in my highschool years to play TF2, BFBC 1& 2 and BF3. Later I sort of just decided to use it to make my smashboards account as I got into Brawl towards the end of its life.

GDSPD for short on its own still has a lot of context for me. Godspeed is an old english saying which wishes luck upon someone. It's a well wishing upon whoever I'm up against. Good luck not in the sense that "Hey I'm better than you. Good luck if you can beat me." but more in a way indicative of great sportsmanship.

In real life however, I don't go by GDSPD. At all the tourneys I host and attend I go by my real name, Charlie. Using a tag in real life just goes against the kind of person I am. I'm not one for personas or taking myself too seriously so just being true to who I am feels right. It's really disarming to people to go up with a candid and authentic smile before the game, shake hands and say "Hey, I'm Charlie. Pleasure to meet you."

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
My tag is (mostly) a small homage to who my favorite characters are. I've mostly stuck to this name now because I think it suits me (and I kinda have to with all the accounts I have now..) I used to go through multiple names per month a long time ago. :p

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I made it up when I was like 12 playing a wizard in Gauntlet Legends on N64. It stuck. Has the nice feature of always being available everywhere on every site without having any numbers or special characters.

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I wanted to come off with a non cliche ninja name, because most IMO are just ridiculous and way too serious. After trying to be creative I broke down and just put a random word ahead of ninja. Been using it ever since.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Roaches are one of my favorite bugs.
And I like cake.
So I combined them both for a truly delicious dessert. :estatic:
reported

Mine's pretty simple, my favourite pokemon is Bouffalant (seen in my Avi) and he has a signature move called Head Charge (Afro Break in the japanese version), so I kind of adapted it from that.
Also, my name comes from Rainbow Six Raven Shield (fps); it had a unique feature called 'fluid peek' which let you hold the spacebar and when you move the mouse you can adjust your standing height and lean angle precisely (this was alongside a unilateral peek and crouch button)

One of the custom maps was called 'anticamper' and it was an all glass arena, with most of the action being hard reads, reaction time, and mixing up when you were going to expose yourself hoping to hit somone. So there was a script that you could bind to the spacebar that set your mouse speed up to 1000000x which meant you could 'peek' left and right almost instantly. This was extremely difficult to do given the other game mechanics, so it never really became a 'must know' skill.

However, I was young and decided to name myself 'i cant fluid' in reference to the peeking ability. I actually mastered this ability eventually, and become known for it (since nobody else wanted to practice it very much) so I changed my name to Fluid or Fluidity (I can't remember which came first)

And its been my moniker ever since (12~ years). Since then, I've changed the meaning to be more in line with the actual meaning of the word, and as such try to be a 'fluid' player in all of the competitive games I've played (bunch of fps, wow, fighting games).

The extra T at the end of it comes from people already named fluidity, alongside sometimes my clanmates were calling me, "Fluidity-tee-tee" in a drawn out fashion.

Before that it was something random and made up like Fawer or Verant that I made up when playing some mech game for DOS, and I think it was my first name for Raven Shield.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
it used to just be zion but people started to use it so. Haze for a couple of reasons. Haze as in hazing, fog, and confusion which I liked so i just glued the 2 together

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
I don't see what's so report worthy about my comment, but okay.
And you don't need to send me a worthless notification about you reporting it.
If I'm breaking some rule why don't you just tell me so I can correct my mistake? Cause I'm obviously not aware of it.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
I was at band practice in college and the other guitarist was trying to come up with a guitar riff to my chord progression. We fooled around with it and once the drummer put a beat to it, the riff kind of wrote itself and it just sounded amazing. One of us exclaimed "that's an awesome riff!" And then the bassist said "it's a mega riff!"

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
I don't see what's so report worthy about my comment, but okay.
And you don't need to send me a worthless notification about you reporting it.
If I'm breaking some rule why don't you just tell me so I can correct my mistake? Cause I'm obviously not aware of it.

I didn't mean to send you a notification, i think that it just automatic when I reply. **I didn't actually report you**

It was meant entirely sarcastically and as a joke because making a cake with roaches is pretty unconventional reality, and I contrasted it with conventional reality of 'reporting' things that are amiss (the two necessary components of all jokes, exception being jokes that use irony; and even irony could fall under the above if critiqued enough.).

Sorry for pissing you off! I got a laugh out of the post :)

How can I make it up to you?

-fluid

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
My boy, Toki Wartooth, with my first name adapted to resemble his, because I am pretty metal. (Bradley x Toki Wartooth = Bradli Wartooth)

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
I didn't mean to send you a notification, i think that it just automatic when I reply. **I didn't actually report you**

It was meant entirely sarcastically and as a joke because making a cake with roaches is pretty unconventional reality, and I contrasted it with conventional reality of 'reporting' things that are amiss (the two necessary components of all jokes, exception being jokes that use irony; and even irony could fall under the above if critiqued enough.).

Sorry for pissing you off! I got a laugh out of the post :)

How can I make it up to you?

-fluid
Guess I'm an idiot then.
I'm a pretty sarcastic person myself and yet I can't detect when other people are being sarcastic, especially not over the internet.

You didn't piss me off (Maybe a little, but I'm always mad, so...), I was more confused.
No need to make it up to me, entirely my fault.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Guess I'm an idiot then.
I'm a pretty sarcastic person myself and yet I can't detect when other people are being sarcastic, especially not over the internet.

You didn't piss me off (Maybe a little, but I'm always mad, so...), I was more confused.
No need to make it up to me, entirely my fault.
how about we settle it smash, now?
oh wait... u dont have wii u :(

nnid cronot7

Last edited:

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I like Marowak. Marowak was taken everywhere, though. So I added a prefix. I've been considering shortening it to Mr. Mary, since it's both unused anywhere else (to the point of Google searches not leading to some obscure forum where someone else called themselves that) and rolls of the tongue better.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I think mine speaks for itself: "Varia" as in Varia Suit from Metroid. The "31" was just a random number, but I adapted it into my OC's story as the 31st Commando Marine squad he used to be part of. Random fun fact: my OC is currently my avatar.

Last edited:

Grambles

Smash Cadet
I thought Grambles sounded stupid and passably funny enough ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I've never had a permanent online name. It's just whatever whenever

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
JAZZ originated back in after 2007. As it stood Michael Bay that year Murdered my favorite Autobot for no apparent reason in his first movie and the name stood as an homage among friends in essence saying, We have not forgotten.

Subsequently I'm now an adult and the name just sorta stuck. Its never used by anyone else, Its not an obvious gamer tag like PAIN or SMASH or anything like that, and its short and sweet.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Lol my name was a team effort. After a week of me struggling to stick with a name, my friend was like "dude,..Tots!" (We had been referencing Napoleon Dynamite scenes for a laugh earlier that day.) After my first Melee tournament back in 2013, it just stuck.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Hark17ball ive used since i had access to Email. "Hark" from my last name Harkins. 17 was a good looking number and "Ball" from all the different sports i played.

Altho in Smash i just use Hark

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
LIQUID(Snake, the antagonist from Metal Gear Solid)+12(year when I took this name on PSN)+A(first letter of my name)

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
The comedic miss-spellings of :4palutena:. I remember during E3 2014, people kept spelling her name incorrectly. Whether it was Paletuna or Placenta.

Last edited:

Mr.Shameless

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrShameless
3DS FC
5301-0935-0975
Mr. Shameless.. Well, i stick to it cause i've never had any problems bringing out my inner gammer/anime nerd. I figured if u bring it out enough those who are also gamer geeks will join in... And they always do.. This also bleeds into the profile pic. Animes/games i grew up with.. *minus Shinji of course* The trick to getting it to work, is to do it Shamelessly.. Hence, Mr. Shameless.

Top Bottom