• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Even if we don’t get any playable character in Ultimate, I hope we still get some songs. Would love to hear AW’s bombastic music in the style of Ultimate. The menu theme I remember being so loud, it was great.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Even if we don’t get any playable character in Ultimate, I hope we still get some songs. Would love to hear AW’s bombastic music in the style of Ultimate. The menu theme I remember being so loud, it was great.
We even talked about that not too long ago. Even without a playable character Smash is in serious need of AW tracks. I mean with how catchy the AW tracks are it's hard to see how it never had any so far. It makes you want to kick ass and take names. Especially Max's theme lol.

A problem that needs to be rectified in Ultimate.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, here goes nothing.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Hey, so far I'm enjoying the game. It's more complex then I thought, but I would like to ask.
Is there any strategy on how to pass the Tank Ops mission? I having trouble with the Medium Tank
and the regular tanks.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey, so far I'm enjoying the game. It's more complex then I thought, but I would like to ask.
Is there any strategy on how to pass the Tank Ops mission? I having trouble with the Medium Tank
and the regular tanks.
For that mission, you should bait out the Medium Tank with your Artillery and finish it with your Mech's and Tank.

In general you want to take out heavy Tanks with indirect units.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
For that mission, you should bait out the Medium Tank with your Artillery and finish it with your Mech's and Tank.

In general you want to take out heavy Tanks with indirect units.
Awesome, I'll try that strategy. Also would be wise if I used the Artly to get rid of most of the enemies?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Awesome, I'll try that strategy. Also would be wise if I used the Artly to get rid of most of the enemies?
You could. Remember that you can repair units by placing them on captured cities if they get damaged.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
You could. Remember that you can repair units by placing them on captured cities if they get damaged.
I see, I think I'll try that, I'll start off with a Artly attack then move the units in. Thanks for the help man,
and also thanks for recommending this game, I'm really enjoying it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I see, I think I'll try that, I'll start off with a Artly attack then move the units in. Thanks for the help man,
and also thanks for recommending this game, I'm really enjoying it.
Well you could do that but i'd recommend getting rid of all the other units with your Mechs/Tanks and then using your Artillery for the Md. Tank but you could do a bunch of different strats really.

And no prob dude. Spreading the AW love is what I do lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today officially marks the 17th anniversary of Advance Wars releasing for the first time outside Japan. And also the game we all remember fondly the most.

Also, for an interesting write up on the series, here's a piece Destructiod did.

https://www.destructoid.com/where-the-hell-is-advance-wars--508493.phtml

Usually Destructoid has a lot of clickbaity articles like most gaming sites out there but I found this piece to be very well written. It specifically mentions the poor sales performance of Dual Strike which is a big sticking point people tend to forget when it comes to the series' decline. I mean there were a lot of contributing factors for that happening (particularly, ****ty marketing on the part of Nintendo/Intelligent Systems) but Dual Strike was a crucial point for the franchise more so than people realize. It was the make it or break it point for the series in Japan since the GBA games never made it on time. And that game failing there is the reason why it never got a chance to rebound hence Days of Ruin not releasing there until 5 years later (and through a very limited release mind you).

But yeah aside from that, it goes in to detail about the franchise's history, it's gameplay, and what the future might hold for the series though the author seems to take a more cynical point of view when it comes to that. Something I can't really blame him for.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well with this Direct gone and no AW announcement in sight, I can not only say that Andy's chances are dead but there the slightest hope for anything Advance Wars related for the rest of this year and 2019 has withered away.

I could always lie to myself and say "well 2020 might be our lucky year" but chances are I'll just be saying "I think 2021 is the year guys!" come 2020. And likewise for 2022 and 2023, etc.

Yeah cynicism overload and i'm sorry to the hopefuls here but y'all don't know how frustrating it is. To constantly see the series get absolutely nothing while others get so much stuff. I don't think there's been any longtime Nintendo franchise that's been disrespected the way Wars has TBH.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Sadly I kinda agree, but we can at least hope for AT again, and possibly some more trophies.
Smash could use some Advance Wars Reps, although I'm still kinda hoping we do see him in,
some shape or form.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sadly I kinda agree, but we can at least hope for AT again, and possibly some more trophies.
Smash could use some Advance Wars Reps, although I'm still kinda hoping we do see him in,
some shape or form.
Honestly, the AT coming back would be the most anti-hype thing. I hate how it does such a mediocre job at representing the franchise and doesn't even reference the GBA/DS games. The only worse scenario being that it gets cut and there's no more Wars representation in Smash period.

Wars is a series that lends itself to a playable character to fully show what it's all about. An AT just doesn't cut it.

But it seems pretty counter-productive to even be saying this given Andy's chances are about as likely as me winning the lottery.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo wants the Switch to have a decade-long lifespan, they gotta up their production of first party titles eventually. That has to mean some franchise revivals by 2020. I think Advance Wars and F-Zero are the best bets.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nintendo wants the Switch to have a decade-long lifespan, they gotta up their production of first party titles eventually. That has to mean some franchise revivals by 2020. I think Advance Wars and F-Zero are the best bets.
Well the other, more likely alternative is that Nintendo will continue to ignore these series (or at least AW) and IS will pump out more FE sequels and remakes instead.

It always happens man, it always happens.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well the other, more likely alternative is that Nintendo will continue to ignore these series (or at least AW) and IS will pump out more FE sequels and remakes instead.

It always happens man, it always happens.
They can’t make that many Fire Emblem games for one console. If Three Houses is good it might get a sequel Radiant Dawn-style, maybe they’ll break new ground and make it a trilogy, but that’s it. Aside from remaking games (we’ll probably get Judgral), IS has got to do something. Code Name STEAM proves they have the manpower and the desire to do different stuff from just FE and Paper Mario.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
They can’t make that many Fire Emblem games for one console. If Three Houses is good it might get a sequel Radiant Dawn-style, maybe they’ll break new ground and make it a trilogy, but that’s it. Aside from remaking games (we’ll probably get Judgral), IS has got to do something. Code Name STEAM proves they have the manpower and the desire to do different stuff from just FE and Paper Mario.
Well I get your thought process and all but then I also look back on the previous decade. There wasn't anything of that nature that made IS want to make a new AW despite always talking about it.

I got my hopes up post-Awakening that FE's success would translate to IS wanting to make a new AW. That never happened and we got Fates instead.

When that happened, I had myself convinced that with all the comments and remarks IS made about AW over the years that their grand plan was to revive the series on the Switch. To bring the franchise back in a huge way right in the Switch's launch window. Not only did that not happen but instead we got a reveal trailer for FE Switch and an FE2 remake. Not to mention all the other content it got.

And most recently I had myself convinced that they're would be something for the 30th anniversary of the franchise. Nope, nothing. Not even a collection despite Nintendo being huge on them lately.

I guess this is angry cynicism here but it's not like what i'm saying isn't grounded in reality. I have zero reason to be optimistic and with each passing year that discontent only grows.

And lastly, IS released like 3 FE games in one year. Don't think for a second that they would release Three Houses and then immediately after announce a new remake for that franchise along with a spinoff title.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well I get your thought process and all but then I also look back on the previous decade. There wasn't anything of that nature that made IS want to make a new AW despite always talking about it.

I got my hopes up post-Awakening that FE's success would translate to IS wanting to make a new AW. That never happened and we got Fates instead.

When that happened, I had myself convinced that with all the comments and remarks IS made about AW over the years that their grand plan was to revive the series on the Switch. To bring the franchise back in a huge way right in the Switch's launch window. Not only did that not happen but instead we got a reveal trailer for FE Switch and an FE2 remake. Not to mention all the other content it got.

And most recently I had myself convinced that they're would be something for the 30th anniversary of the franchise. Nope, nothing. Not even a collection despite Nintendo being huge on them lately.

I guess this is angry cynicism here but it's not like what i'm saying isn't grounded in reality. I have zero reason to be optimistic and with each passing year that discontent only grows.

And lastly, IS released like 3 FE games in one year. Don't think for a second that they would release Three Houses and then immediately after announce a new remake for that franchise along with a spinoff title.
Yeah, we definitely have enough reasons to feel hopeless, I don’t blame you. I’d just rather see the glass half full, even when there’s no water in it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, we definitely have enough reasons to feel hopeless, I don’t blame you. I’d just rather see the glass half full, even when there’s no water in it.
Well I mean the more people hopeful the better I guess. This place could use more positivity and whatnot. I just can't count myself as one of em'. Or at least I try to sometimes but then I remind myself why I shouldn't.

I know come E3 i'll get my hopes up for a new Advance Wars on the Switch only for it to be announced that Fire Emblem is getting a remake of FE4 or something and some next spinoff. And then i'll go off on the same tangent i'm doing now. It's always the same story.

I would say i'm a "glass half-empty" kind of guy only in this instance IS never bothers pouring any water in the glass.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Alright, I'm kinda back from a massive SmashBoars hiatus, what'd I miss?

Still probably won't be posting as frequently as before but I'll be around more than I have been.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Alright, I'm kinda back from a massive SmashBoars hiatus, what'd I miss?

Still probably won't be posting as frequently as before but I'll be around more than I have been.
Well, not much other than me being an angry cynist lol.

As I mentioned yesterday, any chance for anything AW related in the 2010's is gone. If there was something AW related for that year we would have heard about it. And like I said, I'm of the belief that we're in for the worst case scenario where after Three Houses, Intelligent Systems immediately announces a new FE remake/sequel instead of a new AW game.

As for Andy's chances, I believe it's dead now. My take was that if he wasn't shown off in this Direct alongside some sort of AW announcement, he wasn't going to be in the game. And that has unfortunately come to pass. Granted I did say his chances hinged on being the surprise/retro character of the game but I won't even hold my breath for that. I believe there's only 2-3 newcomers left anyways.

So yeah, not much happy times for this thread lol. I believe this would be the Despair stage of the 5 Stages of Greif.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yeah, I guess it's just time for us to rally around Wargroove, even if it doesn't seem that the characters will have the same charm.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We can always build some kickass support for Andy for the next Smash, make them hear us and know the demand is there.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, I guess it's just time for us to rally around Wargroove, even if it doesn't seem that the characters will have the same charm.
I mean I really want Wargroove to succeed. That game performing well will be the wake up call Nintendo/Intelligent Systems needs to finally make a new game already. Which is why I was disappointed when they kept delaying the game. Not a smart business strat especially since they had so much hype in 2017 for the game. Still hoping it becomes a million seller.
We can always build some kickass support for Andy for the next Smash, make them hear us and know the demand is there.
This might be reaching but I hope Isaac potentially being in this game rubs off on Andy where a lot of Isaac supporters get behind him. Like, after Isaac's reveal people have more confidence in voting for Andy given both hail from dead franchises and he becomes a top runner on Smash polls, what have you.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Alright, not all stages revealed! There's a chance for new franchises still!

I mean, I just felt like adding a bit of positivity to the thread...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So to bring some positivity to this thread (especially after my tangent a couple days ago lol), I wanted to make an interesting observation post-Direct now that AC Switch has been announced.

On the poll the NintendoSwitch subreddit did for franchises people wanted to see that haven't been brought yet, Wars is technically No. 3 on the list now with Smash Bros, Mario Party, and Animal Crossing making their way to the console. Which means the Top 3 series on that list are...

1) F-Zero
2) Paper Mario
3) Nintendo Wars

That's really good to think about. We're No. 3 on the most wanted poll so that speaks well to the demand for a new Advance Wars game. Granted it was 4,000 votes tallied but even as a sample that's really good to hear. Nintendo is going to have to take notice eventually.
Alright, not all stages revealed! There's a chance for new franchises still!

I mean, I just felt like adding a bit of positivity to the thread...
Of those 5 stages, I don't believe an Advance Wars stage will be among them. Of the 5, I predict...

1) Venus Lighthouse (For Isaac)
2) Sun & Moon Stage (For Incinrorar)
3) Mute City Melee (Hinted at on the Smash website)
4) New Los Angeles (I think XCX is getting a stage regardless of Elma)
5) Minecraft Stage (Hinted at by Verg)

Of course i'd like to be wrong and for there to be an Advance Wars stage complete with a bunch of kickass AW tracks. Dunno how likely that is of course.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
If anyone's had the chance to playthe incomplete Sami mod for project m, the moveset is great. She has a machine gun, a grenade launcher, and she calls in air strikes. I'd love to see a moveset like that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If anyone's had the chance to playthe incomplete Sami mod for project m, the moveset is great. She has a machine gun, a grenade launcher, and she calls in air strikes. I'd love to see a moveset like that.
I believe that might have been one of the fan-made continuations of what was left of Project M. Because their have been multiple attempts to finish what the PMDT didn't finish.

But yeah that would work. I even thought of a moveset like that for Andy but it's the one where he's a semi-clone of Snake.

Though I think of Andy as the Wrench fighter/Summoner and Sami as the Commando.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I believe that might have been one of the fan-made continuations of what was left of Project M. Because their have been multiple attempts to finish what the PMDT didn't finish.

But yeah that would work. I even thought of a moveset like that for Andy but it's the one where he's a semi-clone of Snake.

Though I think of Andy as the Wrench fighter/Summoner and Sami as the Commando.
There's a lota fan made ones, but theyre based on the original pm design.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's a lota fan made ones, but theyre based on the original pm design.
IIRC the original PM one was unfinished but that's good to hear. Makes me wonder how much the PMDT could have done if they continued on for like another 3-4 years.

Ultimately though, what I had in mind for Andy is a lot different with his fund/summoner niche and being a wrench fighter.

By the way can I add you to the support list?

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
Amazing thread, and this interesting concept is one I'd like to see more of. With Andy being the poster-child of turn-based strategy on the GBA, I'd like to see him get in. Supported!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Amazing thread, and this interesting concept is one I'd like to see more of. With Andy being the poster-child of turn-based strategy on the GBA, I'd like to see him get in. Supported!
Welcome to the Orange Star Army my friend!

And yeah, it is something to think that Advance Wars was essentially the mainstay turn-based strategy on the GBA that paved the way for so many other TBS games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Confused the hell out of me for why the 'link' wasn't working...but I appreciate the sentiment though :p
Yeah I had to spend like 5 seconds thinking why the link was busted lol.

A true supporter indeed. :)

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
We need to discuss something with IS if the Switch dies before the next Advance Wars title.

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
And if they deny, we surround them with Gritillery and other crud. Man, do we need a new game! It's been ten years, IS, and frankly I'm getting sick of you only doing Fire Emblem for so long. STEAM was great, but then you hopped back on the FE bus.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
And if they deny, we surround them with Gritillery and other crud. Man, do we need a new game! It's been ten years, IS, and frankly I'm getting sick of you only doing Fire Emblem for so long. STEAM was great, but then you hopped back on the FE bus.
"Gritillery"

Please tell me this was done on purpose lol.

Well the sentiment is very much mutual. We'd all love for IS to finally get back to the Advance Wars series instead of milking out Fire Emblem with the occasional side of Paper Mario.
Where is this? Also, feel free to add me to the supporter list! (Although I'd prefer Sami :p)
Was kinda hinted on the site where it called the 3DS Mute City as "Mute City SNES" instead of just "Mute City" like "Dream Land" and "Dream Land VB". So it hints possibly at Mute City Melee being in the game.

Top Bottom