• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Option Selects!

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I just read something on the Melee It On Me website discussing option selects and some examples of them in Melee, and my mind instantly went to Lucario (since the main article by Prog was discussing SF4).

Before I start, let me explain what an option select is. An option select is having button inputs which do two completely different things in two completely different scenarios. So for the example I posted below,

F-smash> Double Team (down B) [input right after F-smash] > tilt/jab

Scenario 1:
  • If the F-smash hits, then you can cancel it into a double team, and cancel that into a down tilt for example

Scenario 2:
  • If the F-smash does not hit, then the double team is just an extra input and the tilt/jab is executed after the F-smash ends.
I also think that Aerial> Aura Sphere Cancel> Any aerial/special move might be an option select, which if so, implies that one should always input the ASC after an aerial for optimal follow up opportunities.

If you guys can think of any other Option Selects, post them here! Thanks :D

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
I've been wondering about certain OS's Lucario may have, and if you think about Footstool, it's a free OS for every character if you bind it to a button and mash it while in the air. No command comes out while you're aerial unless you successfully footstool. If you think you aren't going to get it start inputting whichever attack you want to do instead.

As Lucario specifically the main thing I can relate from his gameplay that is an OS would be canceling Up-B during the hits having gained just enough aura from the actual hits. This is also applicable to his other B moves, like ASC'ing a Fair and pressing A after you press B, in case that was just enough to get you a charge, and you would want to aura bomb them.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
uthrow > footstool > dair > FP > follow up is a footstool combo abstract logic and i found
if you miss footstool just toss out another aerial as far as option select goes

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Although that is not necessarily an option select, what characters can you footstool from up throw and at what percents? Also on what characters can you get down-throw> Aerial Force - Palm ?

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
we're still exploring that. it works best at midlow to mid percentages so far and obviously big characters are easier to footstool.
dthrow to aFP seems like it would be more dependent on DI/DI reads than anything else but then again i'm a very intuitive player instead of "write **** down and analyse it" so i'm the wrong person to ask. i just run around and do lucario things and it works for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom