• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

optimizing dolphin melee on mac? for virtually no lag

c@m

Smash Rookie
I want to start off by saying, I know it is not ideal to run dolphin on mac but I'm doing it anyways and I'm playing melee on it. Ive followed so many guides online and I still cannot seem to get rid of the lag. Does anyone else run it on mac, or know the most optimal way with the different options to run it with no lag? or even a program to help run it with virtually no lag? My mac specs:
Mac Book Pro
OS X 10.9.5
2.8 Ghz intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

ZimD00D

Smash Rookie
I look pretty late on this but I run it on my macbook pro and it runs very smooth.
OS X 10.10.1
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
240gb SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

It seems to run almost perfect for me. However I do have trouble with controller functions. I'm guessing the only reason this is because there are no drivers for mac -.- I basically have to restart the game until my controller works.

Y-L

Smash Champion
This information by itself is not very helpful.. Provide the model number of the cpu (i.e. i7 4700mq)

You can't really compare @ ZimD00D ZimD00D 's hardware to your own without this information and it seems that his cpu is probably marginally newer despite the lower clock speed. Your intel HD 3000 graphics might be bottlenecking you but I can't be sure without the cpu model.

Try the latest developer dolphin build found on dolphin-emu.org/download and see if lags there. It could also be the possibility (macbooks seem prone to this) of overheating and throttling (reducing cpu speed to cool off) so you may want to try a program which monitors your cpu temperatures while playing. If they go beyond 90 C then it is likely throtttling.

ZimD00D

Smash Rookie
I looked up which i7 mine is and it's the Core i7-3610QM Ivy Bridge. If that helps...Also yes I've had my laptop for little of than two months so it is a bit newer. Would you have any ida why my controller does this? I'm using the may flash "GC Controller adapter for PC to usb."

Y-L

Smash Champion
I looked up which i7 mine is and it's the Core i7-3610QM Ivy Bridge. If that helps...Also yes I've had my laptop for little of than two months so it is a bit newer. Would you have any ida why my controller does this? I'm using the may flash "GC Controller adapter for PC to usb."
I suspect he has an ivy bridge (i7-2xxx) which performs worse but I think the HD 3000 graphics may be bottlenecking if it's not a heat issue.

As for your controller can you screenshot your gc pad settings?

Last edited:

ZimD00D

Smash Rookie
I suspect he has an ivy bridge (i7-2xxx) which performs worse but I think the HD 3000 graphics may be bottlenecking if it's not a heat issue.

As for your controller can you screenshot your gc pad settings?
I was thinking the same. The graphics card seems a bit older.
and for my controller settings sure thing.

ZimD00D

Smash Rookie
I also have to refresh it multiple times until finally it shows up.

Top Bottom