• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimised order for recovering with doc(?)

Henrik Lagerholm

Smash Cadet
As many know, doc's recovery is ****ty to say the least.

lets say we don't have any opponent who's edge guarding (to make it simple). what order of moves is most optimized for recovery? what makes Doc gain the most distance/height?

my personal order is cape->tornado->Double jump and lastly the Up-b if i have to.
Using the tornado after the cape seems best to gain height. Might only be a misception though...

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Shroomed will sometimes just straight up double jump and throw 2 pills. This does of course come with good DI that takes you to the top corner of the stage.

Edit:
There really isn't that one way where you'll get the best recovery because it depends on the situation.

Henrik Lagerholm

Smash Cadet
Which is why i said to exclude the fact that you have an opponent for the moment, i just wanted to hear if theres a different distance gain if you use the moves in various orders.
I could see why not, but checking things for safety's sake is what i do and i hope people are not bothered like "Ugh, it's so obvious".

Thanks for replying though, Shroomed is often someone i look at when i want to get inspired. Never actually taken a deeper look into his recoveries, except the one you mentioned about the DJ -> Pills.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
OH sorry... didn't see the "exclude" part. Ugh.... I think cape -> down B -> DJ -> up B is best. IT also depends on where you get knocked to so assuming you're in the farthest part possible then that would be best probably. I think getting knocked anywhere sideways the average cape to down b to dj to up b is best but if you get knocked straight up and slightly off stage just cape or down b to mix up and a double jump to dodge or change positions (assuming it's safe to do so or the situation calls for it). DAir is one way to stop someone trying to hit you and maybe even an up b??? But if you could up b then you could just use an aerial so it's probably redundant. If for some reason you find yourself below stage level then just a perfect tornado into double jump.... no reason to cape unless you're getting approached.

I'm sure more experienced doc mains can give you better input.

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Well, you always want to leave your double jump until the end, regardless of wanting to get distance or height and whatnot.

I feel like using both the cape and the down b would hurt your recovery more than help it... both are more about delaying rather than pure height gain. I'd say that in terms of recovery, caping > down b.

In terms of what the most effective recovery is, something that I never really see but I think is amazing is air dodging to get back... unless you can sweet spot the up b, you'd be better off airdodging back and not using the up b, especially on a stage like Yoshis or bf where the platforms give you way more options with recovering and not getting punished.

Logz

Smash Cadet
Well, you always want to leave your double jump until the end, regardless of wanting to get distance or height and whatnot.

I feel like using both the cape and the down b would hurt your recovery more than help it... both are more about delaying rather than pure height gain. I'd say that in terms of recovery, caping > down b.

In terms of what the most effective recovery is, something that I never really see but I think is amazing is air dodging to get back... unless you can sweet spot the up b, you'd be better off airdodging back and not using the up b, especially on a stage like Yoshis or bf where the platforms give you way more options with recovering and not getting punished.
I agree with you about the air dodging unless I'm playing a really good edge-hogging character like Marth, which I usually have to sweet spot my recovery 95% of the time. Other than that, saving my double jump then air dodging usually catches my opponents off guard. I'm just really inconsistent with doing that :<.

Top Bottom