• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opponents who roll INTO Bowser, Why?

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
This is the first character I've picked and the first smash I'm playing competitively, over 4k matches now* Whenever people roll into me, I punish them. & I keep punishing them, but they still do this. I don't get it. Even good players roll into Bowser sometimes.

I don't see how it's a viable since Bowser has too many options against people who do that. I'm going to move to another character soon. Is there something with metaplay I'm missing here?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Standing at the opponent's ideal roll distance and whiffing Jab 1 is usually a good wait to net some free damage if you know they like to try roll behind punishes. Jab 1 actually recovers quickly enough to start it after Shiek begins rolling and you'll still have time to punish with a side B as long as you weren't super late with it, so jab 1 as a roll bait is plenty safe if it works against the "best" roll in the game.

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
I run back and forth using perfect pivots more than anything. I only roll to switch things up a bit

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Youquickly learn when playing Bowser and Charizard that you don't roll. You dodge/shield or straight out beat out attacks with your own.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I occasionally run into people that try to roll behind me and Dsmash...
Except that I fake them out with a jab and then Dsmash them myself...
If I don't have time or need a safer option I usually whirling fortress to catch them at the end of their roll. It may not be the best punish but it does give me some breathing room.
SideB needs to be timed properly and I need to practice using that as a punish option instead...

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
A bit harder to time too, and riskier, but it's been working for me is reverse bowser bomb. This also punishes blocked dash attacks that tend to cross up.

Top Bottom