• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on the Fire Emblem community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Two groups exist within the FE community: People that like Awakening, and people that don't like Awakening :awesome:.

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
Awakening is not a Fire Emblem. It's a Casual Emblem. Or Shield Emblem. Call it how you like, but a true Fire Emblem is without that bull**** of casual mode.

Simmons

Smash Cadet
I never did use the casual mode in FE: Awakening. Didn't see a point in playing if it was so easy.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Awakening is not a Fire Emblem. It's a Casual Emblem. Or Shield Emblem. Call it how you like, but a true Fire Emblem is without that bull**** of casual mode.
Don't play it on casual mode... Lunatic + Classic Mode FE Awakening is extremely difficult. I have no doubt in my mind that you would not be able to do it without some sort of walkthrough.

The point of Casual is accessibility. MANY people just reset when one of their units dies. No point of resetting over and over if you have a mode for it. It's understandable and it accommodates new players. On the other hand, it's fulfilling and sometimes challenging to not do that so there's Classic mode.

Last edited:

Simmons

Smash Cadet
Don't play it on casual mode... Lunatic + Classic Mode FE Awakening is extremely difficult. I have no doubt in my mind that you would not be able to do it without some sort of walkthrough.

The point of Casual is accessibility. MANY people just reset when one of their units dies. No point of resetting over and over if you have a mode for it. It's understandable and it accommodates new players. On the other hand, it's fulfilling and sometimes challenging to not do that so there's Classic mode.
Agreed. Media these days needs to appeal to the widest audience possible in order to profit. If the developers can find a way to keep old players, and attract new players at the same time, then that's what they're going to do.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Yeah because there is absolutely no way to turn it off.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
Most of the hostility I've seen was between the more veteran-players of the series in regards to the influx of new fans from Awakening, who do sometimes really overplay the greatness of Awakening and sometimes tend to turn it into "Romance Simulator Shipping Galore: The Game." not to say all the new fans are like that, just I do think it gets a bit grating to older fans at times, and for my part I think Awakening is a fine game, just not the best Fire Emblem out there

I haven't noticed much hostility that isn't also in practically every other fanbase otherwise, but maybe the tension I mentioned before might keep dying down by the time another game (hopefully) comes out in the series. Or it might escalate at that point, guess time will tell.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
As avid FE fan who hase played FE7-9 and Awakening(FE13) I really don't get why people in the FE community need to always trash FE Awakening just because it has a Non-Permadeath mode. People who play on Non-Permadeath mode just want to enjoy an FE game without permenantly losing a character. Yes I know every other FE game has been like"let someone die=dey ded brah" and while I did like that aspect in a way that made FE unique, its almost made FE notorious that way. Before Awakening came out whenever I tried to get someone into the series, its a pain the ass to convince them because they don't like the idea of permadeath. Giving someone the option to enjoy the game without permadeath is not "ZOMFG NINTEENDERP WHY U RUIN FE BAAAAAAH". Its giving newcomers a chance to get themselves used to most of FE's core mechanics. Ands its not like FE veterans can't play on classic mode instead of whining.
I'm grateful Awakening exists, it has the best support system the series has had, the ability to change classes and experiment with them is great, the amount of postgame content that you can get from both free spotpass content or paid DLC keeps people playing after they finished main game, not to mention all the extra paralogues you can do while playing through the main story is nice. The characters and story are decent. While the story isn't as good as Path of Radiance's, it was still an enjoyable story and it does its ob to keep people entertained.
But nope, all because of the optional "non-permadeath" mode, everything else in this game is appearently not good enough for "HARDCORE" FE people(I'm using that term very loosely here) and everyone who plays it is a filthy casual in their eyes(I ****ing hate that term in case you haven't noticed) and would've rather had the series die here.
Like this asshole over here
**** these people.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
As avid FE fan who hase played FE7-9 and Awakening(FE13) I really don't get why people in the FE community need to always trash FE Awakening just because it has a Non-Permadeath mode. People who play on Non-Permadeath mode just want to enjoy an FE game without permenantly losing a character. Yes I know every other FE game has been like"let someone die=dey ded brah" and while I did like that aspect in a way that made FE unique, its almost made FE notorious that way. Before Awakening came out whenever I tried to get someone into the series, its a pain the *** to convince them because they don't like the idea of permadeath. Giving someone the option to enjoy the game without permadeath is not "ZOMFG NINTEENDERP WHY U RUIN FE BAAAAAAH". Its giving newcomers a chance to get themselves used to most of FE's core mechanics. Ands its not like FE veterans can't play on classic mode instead of whining.
I'm grateful Awakening exists, it has the best support system the series has had, the ability to change classes and experiment with them is great, the amount of postgame content that you can get from both free spotpass content or paid DLC keeps people playing after they finished main game, not to mention all the extra paralogues you can do while playing through the main story is nice. The characters and story are decent. While the story isn't as good as Path of Radiance's, it was still an enjoyable story and it does its ob to keep people entertained.
But nope, all because of the optional "non-permadeath" mode, everything else in this game is appearently not good enough for "HARDCORE" FE people(I'm using that term very loosely here) and everyone who plays it is a filthy casual in their eyes(I ****ing hate that term in case you haven't noticed) and would've rather had the series die here.
Like this ******* over here

**** these people.
This guy. This guy is saying exactly I think of most of the FE community.

finalark

SNORLAX
Despite playing and beating every localized FE game I don't really spend any time with the FE community. Mostly because I'd probably be considered a casual *** for not really being interested in playing the Japanese games and considering blazing sword FE1 for all intents and purposes.

Plus I actually really liked Awakening. I know that people hate it because it has casual mode, but it's completely optional. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play it.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Pokechao pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Seriously, if you don't like casual mode, just turn it off. How about that for a revolutionary new idea? But no, of course IS should have just left it out and let the series die, rather than try to get new people playing it by expanding its reach to include the people who don't like the idea of perma-death.
People also seem to forget that FE12 (Heroes of Light and Shadow, the Japan-only DS game) was the first game to include an avatar and casual mode, but of course no-one ever bemoans that as the downfall of the series. I know it's Japan-only, but if you must complain about the existence of casual mode, and you're directing all your bile at Awakening, you're complaining about the wrong game.

I've played every FE game, including the Japanese-only ones (I haven't completed 1 and 3 because remakes, and 5 because the current translation patch is iffy and I don't feel like enduring this yet (contains a few "dirty" words that get censored on here)). Guess what? My favourite of the series happens to be Awakening. Does this make me not a real FE fan because I enjoyed a game that happened to include casual mode? I agree it has its flaws, but I had more fun playing it than any other game in the last four years. What's my second-favourite? Why, it's that other game featuring casual mode, but of course no-one ever complains about that one...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You say that now, but the second a party members dies you just reset the battle

Casual mode isn't playing it different, casual mode is just doing the same thing but faster.

finalark

SNORLAX
I agree it has its flaws, but I had more fun playing it than any other game in the last four years. What's my second-favourite? Why, it's that other game featuring casual mode, but of course no-one ever complains about that one...
Probably because that game is Japan exclusive, meaning that not that many people have played it.

Which makes me wonder why I've been told that I'm not a "true" FE fans for not playing the Japanese games. When, I'm almost certain, most people actually haven't.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Which makes me wonder why I've been told that I'm not a "true" FE fans for not playing the Japanese games. When, I'm almost certain, most people actually haven't.
Those same people would probably dismiss me because my favourite is Awakening, even though I have played the Japan-only games. Honestly the simple fact they're Japan-only should be enough to mean whether or not you've played them is irrelevant to being a "true FE fan".
This is part of why I'm reluctant to join any FE sites, since I'd most probably get barked at because I happen to prefer the two games to feature casual mode. Serenes Forest is great as a reference, but I won't be signing up to their forums any time soon.

Last edited:

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
Well guys. If I don't like FE Awakening it's not because "OMG DAT FE IS ****Y AGAINST ZE OTHERS" but more like :

The Casual Mode is a trap. Since someone liked Fire Emblem and played FE13 in Casual mode, he will be used to it.
And to everybody who says "lol man go lunatic+" that mode is bull****. That is not even true difficulty. There is just random cheated skills added and there is really no fun with it. Try FE12's Lunatic, you will be then able to say "Yeah, I did FE12 in Lunatic mode." because THIS one is a true lunatic. FE13's is based on skills which are just horrible and go make a strategy with that ****. I don't call this difficulty, but stupidity.

So, back to what I was saying.
The Casual Mode is a trap. Why ? Because if someone get used to it and if he liked the serie, and then he want to do the others, he will see quickly that there is NOT a Casual mode in the FE before FE13.
And the problem is that FE13 added features which were not in the others FE. For example, the Duo. If you go on FE8, there is not the Duo option, but the "Save" option, which is really different because when you Save a unit, you are just taking it with you just as "stuff that will make you heavier". This option i shere when you're in a bad situation and a unit will be killed. It is not a cheated option which can allow you to have cracked bonuses like "+20 in Speed lmao go touch me" or something like that.
And the other problem about Awakening is the caps. The caps are just random settled. Before, we were with 25/30 caps at the maximum. And now ? 52, 49, 37, caps which are incredibly high and not well made.

Go on the others FEs, and call me if you can reach 52 of speed without bonuses.

Anyway, the Casual mode is a trap for everybody who wants to begin the FE serie. Try to set the newbie in front of FE7, he will clearly see the differences.
And the other stupid point of FE13 is the incredibly strenght of the avatar. When you can do the game just with pairing MU+Chrom, in FE5, you must praise the RNG to be gentle with you.
The other "new" feature is the reclass. You cannot reclass in FE4,5,6,7,8,9,10. But only promote. Say goodbye to the skills awfully cheated now.

In short, FE13 is a FE a lot too different when you compare with the others. Honnestly, I would more have seen it as a spin-off than an official FE.

You say that now, but the second a party members dies you just reset the battle

Casual mode isn't playing it different, casual mode is just doing the same thing but faster.
Nope. When someone dies, I let him because it would be bull**** to reset, if I was doing this, it would be like you just said.
But no. I'm not doing reset as soon as I've lost someone. It's my fault and that guy will be losed forever.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The Casual Mode is a trap. Why ? Because if someone get used to it and if he liked the serie, and then he want to do the others, he will see quickly that there is NOT a Casual mode in the FE before FE13.
Fire Emblem has always been known for its permanent death mechanic. It's probably one of the very first things you find out about if you look up what Fire Emblem is about. If a person who has played Awakening wants to go back and play older FEs, they've probably done their research, or found out via word-of-mouth, and will know that characters die permanently in the older FE games, and that there is no option to turn this off.

there is NOT a Casual mode in the FE before FE13.
FE12 says hi. What's your opinion on that game having casual mode (even if it was Japan-only)?

And the problem is that FE13 added features which were not in the others FE.
Wait, how is this a problem? It should be obvious that newer entries in a game series add new features, and that going back to an older entry in the series logically means that some of the newer features are going to be unavailable, or at least function differently.
By your logic we should all be praising FE1 as the best Fire Emblem, because it's the pure, untainted, original Fire Emblem experience, without any of the additions newer games made, such as the weapon triangle (FE4), the support system (FE3 in its most basic form, FE6 as we know it now), and thieves that can promote and may actually be half-useful at defending themselves (FE4). Should those all never have been added, for fear of making the new game too different from its predecessor?

cracked bonuses like "+20 in Speed lmao go touch me"
http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Book_of_Naga
http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Forseti_(tome)
or indeed any of the holy weapons from FE4. Basically they all gave +20 to one stat, and +10 to another one or two, making all units other than those who could wield the holy weapons literally useless for the final 2-3 chapters. The exception was the Book of Naga, which gave +20 to FOUR stats.
What I'm saying is, receiving this sort of broken stat boost (and I agree it's broken and probably won't happen again if they ever do remake FE4) is not unique and exclusive to Awakening.

And the other problem about Awakening is the caps. The caps are just random settled. Before, we were with 25/30 caps at the maximum. And now ? 52, 49, 37, caps which are incredibly high and not well made.
And how often do you actually hit 52 in any given stat without expressly planning to do so?

In short, FE13 is a FE a lot too different when you compare with the others. Honnestly, I would more have seen it as a spin-off than an official FE.
Super Mario 64 was a hell of a lot different from the Mario games that came before it. Does that mean it should be seen as merely a spin-off of the Mario series?

Nope. When someone dies, I let him because it would be bull**** to reset, if I was doing this, it would be like you just said.
But no. I'm not doing reset as soon as I've lost someone. It's my fault and that guy will be losed forever.
Fair enough, that's how you want to play the game and no-one will stop you doing that. What they were getting at is, the majority of FE players will reset if a unit dies, even those who are most against the existence of casual mode.

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
Well, my opinion about FE12's casual mode is that it was a risk, because if not, why it would be released in japan only ?

And when I'm talking about cracked bonuses, you can count the rally, and the bonus of the support. I was takling about that kind of bonuses.

Of course FE4 has cracked bonus but it's only with the legendary weapons. And I think that an enormous bonus for a legendary weapon is quite acceptable. But for a Duo, a rally compilation, and because they get support ? I think this is quite not logic.

Also, you amused me when you told "we should be praising FE1", I was never attempting to say that the new features of all FE must be annihilated, but more that FE13 added really a lot of new features, and it can be quite perturbating a newbie when he wants to just do FE10, which is anway not an old FE.

New fatures added can be a good idea, but to add too many can disturb a lot, I guess.

I'll finish on what you said at the end. I guess that the ones who are resetting just to not lose units, are like more newfags than a guy who just began the serie.

For example, in FE8, I began with this one, I losed about 3/4 of the units in the game, so far that I was just with Saleh, Eirika, Ephraim, and 2 randoms prepromotes. It was then difficult, but I didn't cried. Or resetted. I think that is the realy way to play FE.

When you think of FE you think of the permadeath, this is one thing.
Now, if you add a casual mode, it's like you're draining Fire Emblem's spirit, fire emblem's particularity.
Okay it can be good if you want to bring more guys to the serie, but how about the serie when there was just FE7 ? They took the risk to expand FE even into Europe, and what followed ? Sacred Stones, Path Of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn.
Honnestly, if you took FE13 and you just remove the casual mode, it would have be the same thing I guess, with the sells of the game.

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's not as if they removed perma-death. *shrug*

Regardless, there's a Fire Emblem thread floating around somewhere in the Lighthouse if you want to discuss FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom