• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on LOVE. (Homework assignment)

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
'Sup. Doing a homework assignment and I need 5 anonymous answers for this paper. All you have to do is answer two questions:

1. Define, in your own words, love.
  2. What are the top 5 qualities you, personally, WANT in a partner.
Thanks bros!

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
I feel that love is the desire to have a particular person or group of people near you, so that you can personally see to it that their lives are as good, or better than you'd like them to be.

Five things I'd like to see in a partner someday would be tolerance, thoughtfulness, persistence(goal-oriented?), family-friendliness(?) and wit.

Last edited:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
1. Love is the ongoing renewal of chemical signals (i.e hormones and neurotransmitters) in the brain and body, the introspective feelings that results from those signals, and their association with external stimuli.

2. Loyal, Independent, Compassionate, Curious, Mindful.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
1. Define, in your own words, love.
I'd consider love to be the presence of (positive) emotional investment -- as opposed to apathy, which is the absence of emotional investment. You can be emotionally invested in a person, a group of people, works of art, inanimate objects, whatever. Simply put, it's Caring VS Not Caring.

And this investment can be expressed in various ways -- romantic, platonic, filial, etc. The term love, as defined above, doesn't necessarily imply romantic love, or any kind of love. That's a different set of definitions to work with.

Concerning related terms, I'd qualify hatred not as the inverse of love, but as the inverse of compassion (i.e. wishing the worst upon/for something or someone VS wishing the best upon/for something or someone). People usually equate love and hatred as antithetical notions, but that never made sense to me; if you care about someone, the opposite would be not caring about them (hence love and apathy).

2. What are the top 5 qualities you, personally, WANT in a partner.
I know that here, you mean romantic partner. But I'd venture that there can be many kinds of "partners" with whom one has mutual emotional investment (i.e. love of one kind or another), as per the definition proposed above.

Even so, here's my set of ideal qualities in a romantic partner (in no order of preference):

-Loyalty (i.e. I got your back, you got mine);
-Intelligence (i.e. not necessarily book-smarts; someone who has a solid head on their shoulders);
-Open-mindedness (i.e. open to new ideas, capable of being reasoned with, etc. etc.);
-Being considerate (i.e. not being an asshole toward others, on the whole);
-Wit (i.e. we can laugh and have fun together, I appreciate your sense of humour, etc. etc.).

Hope this suits your assignment, OP.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot to everyone. I got what I needed thanks to you bros. You da mans!

Also shoutout to @ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht for going over the top. That's like an entire page worth of information. 'Atta boy.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Love, is to care about someone, in some cases, no matter what happens
and uh to number 2, intelligence,open mindedness, understanding (kinda the same thing), good looks, compassion

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
  1. Love: a combination of chemicals in our body that is used as a motivator to mate and/or a system to maintain what is familiar to us, but is something people tend to make out as something more.
  2. Intelligence, humor, love of vidya games, honesty, large boobs
I guess you're done, but I guess I might as well weigh in.

hyperglitter

Smash Rookie
1. You arrive after a long week of work. You feel dead before you even get through the doorway, your weekend already tainted with the dread of the next Monday. But a faint scent pierces the doldrums as you enter your abode; your loving wife Sakurai emerges from the kitchen with a freshly baked batch of sacred Falcon Punch combos. "Welcome home, honey," he says.

2. Good DI, doubles potential, matchup knowledge, good health (i.e. low sodium levels), and style points.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
From a younger POV, love is care and worry for someone or something else around you. If you love something, you would like to keep said thing from harmful manners.

-Outside of smash like the guy above me or something, I look for humor, personality, trust, passion, and open-mindedness.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
1. All is love. Our minds are constantly absorbing an influx of sensory data and every bit of it, to various degrees, becomes a part of our subconscious. This includes the natural processes the prison that is our bodies enforces upon our brain. Every bit of this contributes into an aspect of who we are which compromises our feelings, our sense of identity, our desire, our hatred. Experience is a brush to the canvas of our mind creating a miniature world that is a reflection of reality. Insofar as something in the "real world" is represented we "love" that something, inasmuch as we associate that thing with our being it is love as it defines who we are. It does not matter what emotion we attribute to that bit of information, it is nevertheless a closeness or form of relation to ourselves. It can be nothing but love for these things transform necessarily into an "other-I". Whether they aren't an "other-I" in actuality matters not for effectively that is all it could ever be to a single individual. Everything begins and ends with ourselves.

2. Temperance. An open mind. A sense of naivety. These qualities possess a similitude with my own but possess the freedom to naturally diverge without being adverse, obligated, or subject to constraint. I don't require intelligence or the ability to make me laugh whenever (if I'm "in love" it probably wouldn't take much for me crack a smile anyhow), nor do I require particularly good looks.

Top Bottom