• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinion on Equipment?

Equipment Usage

• Total voters

Kraton9000

Smash Cadet
Personally, I absolutely despise using any and all custom equipment and more often than not, sell everything I have at the end of every play session. I mean, custom moves are one thing, but these equipment pretty much just overpower a character and make certain challenges a cakewalk (the vampire brawn badge is especially notorious). With that being said, what are your opinions? Do you use equipment? If so, then how often? For what purpose? Or do you just sell everything?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do use equipment if it means making certain fighters hit harder, move faster, or take longer to KO. Of course, I usually tend to use the equipment that doesn't have extra effects, unless I'm dealing with a tougher challenge.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
I personally use equipment to mess around and complete challenges, as some of the equipment provided is rather cheap in my point of view.
(Too bad I can't choose an option that expresses that though, I had to choose "for fun")

Shog

Smash Ace
Equipment are a lot of fun, but not for real battles in VS modes(custom moves are always fine btw)

I love Crazy Orders+Baseball Bat...that reward screen OvO

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I really only use equipment for Crazy Orders, I honestly think they weren't meant to be balanced in the first place. They can be helpful for specific things.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I've finished all the challenges, but might as well keep it in case I feel like toying around with it later. It sells for less than pocket change anyway.

cheesemonk66

Smash Rookie
It isn't worth selling the equipment, I've got more money than I know what to do with. I'm honestly really unhappy that equipment and customs are tied in the way they are solely because I feel like it makes them less viable for tournament play. I use it in challenges to balance out the fact that I think the CPUs have boosted stats in some of the harder ones. Overall though I'd say that its unbalanced and unfair.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I despise equipment, I ban equipment, I don't like anything about equipment. Was it a bad idea? Yes

The only time I use equipment is in Crazy Orders.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Equipment is amazingly fun to mess around with.

If you like Special Smash, equipment is basically that on steroids.

What's more, you can COMBINE the two...

I used to try selling all my duplicates, but going through that list and scrutinizing every piece of equipment was time-consuming and didn't even give me much gold. Now I just let it pile; but then it becomes more to dig through while trying to equip a particular character. I've reached an impasse.

I don't hate the idea, I just wish it was implemented a little differently, such as a more finite number of equipment combinations, so I don't end up with fifty Brawn Badges of negligible difference, if you get me.

The bonus effects are the best part about it to me. I started out just doing loadouts to balance attack/defense/speed but now I don't even bother; I just use the bonus effects I need.

Last edited:

Unbounded

Smash Cadet
At first I was kinda "meh" on the entire idea, but after looking through them and playing around with smooth lander, hard braker, etc etc, I've come around.

They're actually pretty sweet IMO.

SirGroovitude

Smash Rookie
I've unlocked most of the stuff for most of the characters, but I've honestly never really been interested in trying anything new out. I'm satisfied with all of main characters default sets.

I use customs in 4-8 player FFA, or Doubles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario1080p

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario128-1080p
3DS FC
4682-8448-5127
I personally would recommend not selling/feeding Equipment obtained from Challenges as you're unlikely to ever get them with those exact stat numbers.

I've been spending weeks on one set in particular that could be interesting for matches. Info on that is on my Signature at the moment.

You'd be out of luck if you sell the ones I'm referring to.

Last edited:

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
From a competitive/tourneytard viewpoint: I think it skews the game a little too much and unlocking it all on each individual setup, and setting up each player's preferences is too much hassle. The alternative, playing without equipment and knowledge of how the standard game works is far more effective in this environment. We try to put order to the chaos.

Otherwise I think equipment is super fun to muck about with, especially smooth lander Ganondorf. If Smooth Lander EVER becomes standard somehow, I will make the switch I promise you that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I personally would recommend not selling/feeding Equipment obtained from Challenges as you're unlikely to ever get them with those exact stat numbers.

I've been spending weeks on one set in particular that could be interesting for matches. Info on that is on my Signature at the moment.

You'd be out of luck if you sell the ones I'm referring to.
In case no one gets the picture, equipment that you win by clearing challenges will have their stats fixed, so the stats will never change between save files. If you're feeding equipment to your amiibo, I'd recommend that you only give it equipment that does not have any bonus effects, as they're often expendable, and can be replaced at will.

Likewise, ONLY sell the equipment that doesn't have bonus effects.

Azew

Smash Lord
I only really use equipment for smash run. I don't like using it, I'd rather get better at the base stats of a character instead of making it better through unlockables.

Mario1080p

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario128-1080p
3DS FC
4682-8448-5127
I think equipment is super fun to muck about with, especially smooth lander Ganondorf. If Smooth Lander EVER becomes standard somehow, I will make the switch I promise you that.
Try equipping Ganondorf with this setup below, these three can be obtained in challenges & should look exactly like mine.

Oh, and once you have these put on Ganondorf, have him fight another Ganondorf(or any character if you want) with the same setup with the launch rate set to 0.9x. You just might like how things turn out.

I still need to take on actual players to further know more on this kind of Smash, so if you're(or anyone here is) interested in trying this out online, let me know.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Negative defense values make your fighter take more damage AND make him/her lighter; if the defense value is low enough, the fighter becomes lighter than default Jigglypuff.

Default Ganondorf can't 1-hit KO default Jigglypuff with Reverse Warlock Punch, but if default Ganondorf Reverse Warlock Punches a -50 defense Little Mac, it will always result in a 1-hit KO at the center of any Omega Form stage.

Keep this in mind when testing out customizations.

Mario1080p

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mario128-1080p
3DS FC
4682-8448-5127
Keep this in mind when testing out customizations.

Exactly, I was about to scrap this idea when I realized that Heavyweights were the only ones that had the advantage with this set until I messed around with the Launch Rate a bit, and I found 0.9x is the way to go with this set. Characters still get the attack buff, but no one-hit KOs as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the pocketed tree can, but I haven't encountered a CPU Villager to do just that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom