• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinion: Lucas is TOO difficult now.

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
Had the old tier list in mind. My b.
Point still stands though.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
But either way, I think it's good theres a difficult character to play now, technically speaking. It should be hard to pull things off with Lucas. I say that because ive seen what he's still capable of doing. It just requires more action in conjunction with thought. I think it'll show who the real mains are, and who rode the bandwagon when the 3.0 characters were running rampant. It's clearly already happened with all of the Spacie, Link, Pit, and Diddy "mains" that fell off.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
I'm going to give my (hopefully) final input on this as to my collective feelings on Lucas. Bear with me here and take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Lucas is among the top 5-10 characters in PM along with Diddy, ROB, MK, Fox, etc. He's got many tools to deal with a multitude of situations,

ZHDUKeN said:
Against people who know what they're doing, Lucas struggles heavily against projectiles and SDI. Fox doesn't.
Lucas players struggle with projectiles. Lucas himself can Fair thru a decent amount of projectiles (fireballs, boomerang, aurasphere, etc) and PKF does well against most projectiles. Not to mention, good movement and space allows evasion of most projectiles. Lucas shouldn't be pinned down by most projectile characters if played correctly.

Furthermore, Lucas has DJC as another movement / combo option, a guaranteed kill throw with a mixup on Dthrow/Bthrow that allows us to get kills way earlier than Uthrow. He has sweetspot and sourspot attacks to change up combo options. And his shield pressure is one of the best in the game, only rivaled by Fox/Falco, except execution is much more lenient due to DJC magnets and the way physics work.

Lucas requires precise, near perfect execution that won't be fully optimized for a while. Our best representatives on a national scale (Kipcom and Hyperflame) are still months, if not years behind coming close to playing Lucas on the level that highly skilled Melee players use Fox (players such as KJH, Chillin, Cactuar, Silent Wolf, etc). Lucas won't come close to how I envision him playing the way that Leffen or Armada plays Fox, for another 5-10 years as long as we keep at this pace. Simply put, Lucas players are not that skilled of players compared to users of other characters. Looking at fundamentals, basic neutral gameplay, spacing, and punishes, Lucas players don't understand or implement concepts at a high level yet. We get carried by PKF, Dair, and abusing lack of matchup experience among other elements. This is not to say none of us can play Lucas well; rather, I feel that Lucas players gimmick their way to wins for the most part.

If we had a 3.6 Lucas player like Neon who labbed Lucas constantly and was consistently doing well in tournament, I'm sure there would be less arguments as to why Lucas is bad, and more along the lines of "we should nerf Lucas, look how good he is!" Until then, we'll continue playing our difficult-to-execute character and hopefully keep improving as we have been. This character takes lots of hard work and you won't see immediate results for a while, unlike Marth, Fox, or any similar character.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Lots of Lucas players also struggle when they can't get conversions from PKF.

It's funny when I just stand on a platform and then they essentially lose their s*** because they don't know how to play the neutral without a projectile.

D e l t a

Almost forgot to mention, Fox definitely suffers from SDI. Against Nair and Dair, you can SDI away -> punish if they always try to followup with shine. If the Fox tries drill shine or drill grab, SDI away also avoids this setup depending on when they do the drill

D e l t a

I don't think he's amazing, nor do I think he's terrible. I do however, think that a ton of Lucas' weaknesses can be exploited easily if played correctly. His strengths balance out weaknesses making Lucas an average character.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

D e l t a

When 3.5 dropped it definitely felt like Lucas was garbage lol

Top Bottom