• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinion: Lucas is TOO difficult now.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Before I start, let me preface by saying I don't want to go back to his 3.02 status of having a plethora of positives/no negatives, or having ridiculous magnet game.

What I mean is that since 3.5, PMDT has "cropped" all of his moves to be very minimalistic and polarized depending on very minute spacing/timing differences. For example, fair was a good move--one that nobody would have argued was ever toxic in 3.02, yet, it received changes. Its main hitbox is smaller than Falcon's knee or Zelda's fair/bair, it has 3 hitboxes with utterly different functions and properties, and not to mention, it has a linger effect with which the move changes entirely yet again. Frankly, this move is nearly impossible to approach or defend efficiently with, especially against faster characters like Falcon or Fox. It needs a slightly bigger sweetspot. I don't care if the move received a little more cooldown in exchange. I feel helpless in neutral unless I run away and throw out PK freeze or magnet or nair... except, those moves are also a problem.

PK freeze has insane startup, yet is completely invalidated by a simple crouch cancel? Really? It only does 5%, and even if you connect with it, you have to assume your opponent will mess up defending it if you want to follow up. Waiting/reacting to their reaction is not an option--it's all based on reads/prediction, which I think is kinda dumb for a move that's meant for opening the opponent up. I understand it shouldn't automatically do work for the player, but I feel like I get zero reward for landing it most of the time -- the stars have to align and 50 million factors have to be perfectly accounted for/taken care of for substantial reward.

Nair is also just eaten by crouch cancel. Granted, this move is definitely better off than PK freeze, especially since you can DJC retreat/crossup and mix up with other aerials. Again, however, you have to have Marth-like spacing for every action in this equation. Also, Nair's hitboxes are like... really inconsistent/weird? I understand that the rear pair of hitboxes on the aerial/landing portion of the move send backwards, but honestly I find that that trait is really unnecessary. It's just there to make it more difficult to space the move properly and know for sure which direction the opponent is going. Just BARELY misspacing means your opponent flies the other direction, and if you think based on your spacing they should go forward but like a limb stuck out one frame before your nair's final hit and got absorbed by the rear hitboxes, you get an ENTIRELY different result in movement. Like, why? Just let the move do what it's supposed to do in one direction and please don't make it so I have to wait to determine which direction it decided to toss my opponent this time. Also, the final aerial hit makes no sense? It's one giant hitbox as far as I can tell, yet it sends backwards sometimes? If the final/launch aerial (yes, I'm making sure I'm not landing when the move finishes) hitbox is all one giant hitbox, why does it behave like this? The move is just unintuitive in every sense of the word, as are a lot of moves in Lucas' moveset. Nothing feels "solid, like every attack hits like a chain mace -- hit with the tip, you get a decent reward, but hit with the chain/inner part and it's like "wtf is this crap?" and it feels very... poorly designed. I don't necessarily think he's "bad" because with optimal play he's fine, it's just an unnecessary level of depth added, especially to nair. Not to mention SDI and shield-DI are things and when done right invalidate the moves too. A character should not be built around approach moves that function like Samus' fire fair, imo.

Magnet suffers similar problems. Why, god why, does this move send forward when you just ever so slightly misspace? I mean, the move already sometimes flat out misses the final "launch" hit because of SDI or just because the weaker hits pop the opponent far enough up that the final hit just freaking MISSES -- especially when intelligent DIs are implemented. So, with all those variables floating around, what exactly is the purpose of occasionally making such a CRUCIAL move to his moveset do exactly the opposite of what it's "supposed" to do? It's just poor design, imo.

Dair is also difficult to be consistent with, though thank god it's not near as bad as nair or fair, and at least when you land a dair, you know where the opponent is going, unless they left the ground like 1-5 frames before the final hit happens. However, I feel like in this case it's acceptable. It's not like there's some inner hitbox on Lucas' face that, if triggered, sends the opponent forward or something. Like, that's literally how his other moves feel. "oh, you slightly misspaced/mistimed? LOL, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MOVE NOW."

I don't mind technicality. I play Fox and Wolf and Samus just fine and they're arguably more technical than Lucas, however their moves are more "intuitive" and work how they're supposed to 99% of the time. I just mind inconsistency and added depth with "gimmicks" involved. Up tilt is possibly the worst offender of this. Like, the move wasn't even that prominent to begin with, and then we're just gonna add a hitbox but make it work completely differently? Please, just take away the extra hitboxes. I would honestly give anything just to keep the tipper hitboxes and remove all the nonsense ones -- magnet's back hitbox included. Even though there's less of a move there, at least in this case you'd know what you're getting when you land it.

I understand PMDT doesn't want this character to be butthole-easy, but with so many of his positives cut down on in 3.5, I don't think he deserved the added precision given to his attacks.

All in all, I'd say AT LEAST his aerials/normals need to be "bair-ified". By that, I mean use the design principles of bair and apply it to the others. Bair's inner hitbox doesn't make this jank 3% hit that sends nowhere -- it functions still as a kill move. The difference is a few %, a slightly different angle, and different effects on grounded/aerial opponents (spike/pop off). Ftilt is similarly done, with the differences between the outer/inner hitboxes being gradual and natural instead of polarized and janky.

Considering playing with the moveset in brawlbox. PM/reply to me if you're interested.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
i've responded inline
Before I start, let me preface by saying I don't want to go back to his 3.02 status of having a plethora of positives/no negatives, or having ridiculous magnet game.

What I mean is that since 3.5, PMDT has "cropped" all of his moves to be very minimalistic and polarized depending on very minute spacing/timing differences. For example, fair was a good move--one that nobody would have argued was ever toxic in 3.02, yet, it received changes.

>i agree partly. attaching fair's hitbox to lucas was also probably one of the biggest hidden nerfs that people often overlook, because having a hitbox that isnt attached is very useful. now its mainly just a combo tool that requires precision.

Its main hitbox is smaller than Falcon's knee or Zelda's fair/bair, it has 3 hitboxes with utterly different functions and properties, and not to mention, it has a linger effect with which the move changes entirely yet again. Frankly, this move is nearly impossible to approach or defend efficiently with, especially against faster characters like Falcon or Fox. It needs a slightly bigger sweetspot. I don't care if the move received a little more cooldown in exchange. I feel helpless in neutral unless I run away and throw out PK freeze or magnet or nair... except, those moves are also a problem.
>i dont really think lucas is helpless in neutral because of fair. magnet saves us in neutral if you wavebounce/b-reverse mixup with it, or if you use our good wavedash/djc to get around opponent's spacing tools

PK freeze has insane startup, yet is completely invalidated by a simple crouch cancel? Really? It only does 5%, and even if you connect with it, you have to assume your opponent will mess up defending it if you want to follow up. Waiting/reacting to their reaction is not an option--it's all based on reads/prediction, which I think is kinda dumb for a move that's meant for opening the opponent up. I understand it shouldn't automatically do work for the player, but I feel like I get zero reward for landing it most of the time -- the stars have to align and 50 million factors have to be perfectly accounted for/taken care of for substantial reward.
>pkf is a bad projectile, but it shouldnt be better. lucas has the movement and speed (coupled with djc and wavebounces) to make pkf a relatively safe projectile to spam. its not meant to combo, its just there to interrupt/force approaches/annoy overly defensive players.

Nair is also just eaten by crouch cancel.
>nair basically doesnt exist against anyone that can sdi or cc. worst move in the spacies MU.

Granted, this move is definitely better off than PK freeze, especially since you can DJC retreat/crossup and mix up with other aerials. Again, however, you have to have Marth-like spacing for every action in this equation. Also, Nair's hitboxes are like... really inconsistent/weird? I understand that the rear pair of hitboxes on the aerial/landing portion of the move send backwards, but honestly I find that that trait is really unnecessary. It's just there to make it more difficult to space the move properly and know for sure which direction the opponent is going. Just BARELY misspacing means your opponent flies the other direction, and if you think based on your spacing they should go forward but like a limb stuck out one frame before your nair's final hit and got absorbed by the rear hitboxes, you get an ENTIRELY different result in movement. Like, why?
>this is not a negative. the difficulty in interpreting the trajectory actually makes it difficult for the opponent to di, and its not hard to build an intuitive understanding of nair's hitboxes. i dont think i've ever been unable to predict the direction im about to send my opponent in unless they radically SDI the 3rd/2nd last hitboxes.

Just let the move do what it's supposed to do in one direction and please don't make it so I have to wait to determine which direction it decided to toss my opponent this time.
>this would be a huge nerf.

Also, the final aerial hit makes no sense? It's one giant hitbox as far as I can tell, yet it sends backwards sometimes? If the final/launch aerial (yes, I'm making sure I'm not landing when the move finishes) hitbox is all one giant hitbox, why does it behave like this? The move is just unintuitive in every sense of the word, as are a lot of moves in Lucas' moveset.
>you have a DJC and very fast air speed. its easy to control the outcome of nair's hitbox with some practice. trust me, nair's final hitbox is not an issue if you can subtly control lucas' movement.

Nothing feels "solid, like every attack hits like a chain mace -- hit with the tip, you get a decent reward, but hit with the chain/inner part and it's like "wtf is this crap?" and it feels very... poorly designed.
>this is basically how lucas was in brawl. a lot of his metagame revolves around mico-spacing and positioning during combos to ensure you can follow up since his hitboxes are so particular.

I don't necessarily think he's "bad" because with optimal play he's fine, it's just an unnecessary level of depth added, especially to nair. Not to mention SDI and shield-DI are things and when done right invalidate the moves too. A character should not be built around approach moves that function like Samus' fire fair, imo.
>SDI is lucas' biggest issue right now in my opinion. we have no modifiers (im not sure if magnet is 1.0x, cbf checking rn), but electric hitlag modifiers and most moves being multi hit means if proper combo di/sdi develops in response to lucas' metagame, we will have a very hard time in the future.

Magnet suffers similar problems. Why, god why, does this move send forward when you just ever so slightly misspace?
>i've never had this happen unintentionally

I mean, the move already sometimes flat out misses the final "launch" hit because of SDI or just because the weaker hits pop the opponent far enough up that the final hit just freaking MISSES -- especially when intelligent DIs are implemented. So, with all those variables floating around, what exactly is the purpose of occasionally making such a CRUCIAL move to his moveset do exactly the opposite of what it's "supposed" to do? It's just poor design, imo.
>yes, sdi sucks. mag has good design apart from that. reverse hitboxes only add utility, they dont detract from the main component of a move. if you can properly space, it shouldnt be an issue unless the opponent can consistently DI a move that's final hitbox resolves on frame 10 or whatever (i know its frame 8 but idk how many frames of hitlag the first hitbox gives so im compensating for that).

Dair is also difficult to be consistent with, though thank god it's not near as bad as nair or fair, and at least when you land a dair, you know where the opponent is going, unless they left the ground like 1-5 frames before the final hit happens. However, I feel like in this case it's acceptable. It's not like there's some inner hitbox on Lucas' face that, if triggered, sends the opponent forward or something. Like, that's literally how his other moves feel. "oh, you slightly misspaced/mistimed? LOL, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MOVE NOW."
>dair is quite bad against SDI. lots of character's "stagger" animation's also modify their hurtboxes and make this move very hard to land all 3 hits. dair vs shiek is a nightmare. i dont agree with the current state of dair. i would either reduce SDI, reduce hitlag/damage, remove electrical component, or increase the horizontal size of the hitbox.

I don't mind technicality. I play Fox and Wolf and Samus just fine and they're arguably more technical than Lucas, however their moves are more "intuitive" and work how they're supposed to 99% of the time. I just mind inconsistency and added depth with "gimmicks" involved. Up tilt is possibly the worst offender of this. Like, the move wasn't even that prominent to begin with, and then we're just gonna add a hitbox but make it work completely differently? Please, just take away the extra hitboxes. I would honestly give anything just to keep the tipper hitboxes and remove all the nonsense ones -- magnet's back hitbox included. Even though there's less of a move there, at least in this case you'd know what you're getting when you land it.
>utilt always sends upwards. the sweetspot and the softspot actually allow certain mixups. the softspot can often force a tech situation that opponents dont expect. right now though, utilt is basically worse than uair in most situations. i'd like to see brawl's utilt return which gave lucas a "get off me" kind of move that had linking hitboxes on either side of him into the tip. cool

I understand PMDT doesn't want this character to be butthole-easy, but with so many of his positives cut down on in 3.5, I don't think he deserved the added precision given to his attacks.

All in all, I'd say AT LEAST his aerials/normals need to be "bair-ified". By that, I mean use the design principles of bair and apply it to the others. Bair's inner hitbox doesn't make this jank 3% hit that sends nowhere -- it functions still as a kill move. The difference is a few %, a slightly different angle, and different effects on grounded/aerial opponents (spike/pop off). Ftilt is similarly done, with the differences between the outer/inner hitboxes being gradual and natural instead of polarized and janky.

>bair is probably lucas' hardest move to correctly space right now LOL. the sweetspot is very difficult to land, and no, im not talking about the spike, i mean the hitbox that lasts for 2 frames before the spike activates.

i want to add a personal note. i appreciate the difficulty of lucas. i dont want lucas to become as accessible as ness. that character is the epitome of easy and simple, and people think ness needs buffs for some reason (probably because he's over represented by bad players (i dont mean the top 5 nesses at paragon, just everyone else that mains the character), and everyone thinks his neutral is bad which couldnt be further from the truth when talking about a character with a DJC and ridiculously disjointed+fast hitboxes). either way, lucas' fundamental design is fine, its just that the counterplay available to his moves are basically SDI for every move, which means when you vs lucas, you only need to think "if i get hit, just roll the control stick". it basically makes lucas very flow-chartable/reactable, and reduces our option select. if people learn how to SDI against lucas, i dont see anyone winning a tournament solo-maining lucas unless they're absolute beasts.

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I agree on all accounts there. The funny thing is, just a few easy changes would make him feel... sensible. Like, I just created my own build of him, with no hitbox changes above like a whole unit. And it feels great. For those who are curious, here's the full changelist:

-Buffed size of initial sweetspot fair 3.5 > 4
-Set X offset of initial fair sweetspot 3.25 > 2.75 (the sweetspot is basically perfectly over the hexagon)
-Changed the time at which the second set of hitboxes comes out from 2 frames to 4.
[note: Previously, Lucas only had two whole frames to use fair to its whole use. Even if my build isn't accepted, one can't ignore that a two frame window for an approach move whose optimal hitbox is smaller than Falcon's knee or Zelda's kicks is RIDICULOUS]
-Completely removed the middle hitbox on Lucas' fair initial 4 frames. There are now two hitbubbles, which meet at about Lucas' knee. Kept the lingering hit middle hitbox.

Here's the move:
Initial 4 frames:

lingering move (4 frames + into the move)

Changed the size of Nair's inside hitbox (the one that sends forward) 2.5 > 5 [Note: This just means sending forward should be easier/should happen more often, while still allowing to send backwards if hitting with the back side.]
Brought the inner hitbox inward .5 units (X offset: 2 > 1.5

The move now (the innermost hit bubble used to be about the size of Lucas' stomach:

Decreased the size of Lucas' inner magnet hitbox (3.8 > 2.8)
changed the size of Lucas' outer magnet hitbox (4.1 > 4.5)
[Note: Same changes applied to his "release" hitboxes]

The move now:

Changed middle hitbox size of uptilt on startup ( 2 > 1.5 )
Changed the inner hitbox's X-offset on uptilt ( 0 > -0.5)
Reduced size of middle uptilt hitbox on the late hit ( 2 > 1 )

changed the frame speed modifier of Lucas' grounded PK Freeze?? (0.9 > 1.0)
changed interruptable frame of aerial PK F (frame 52 > frame 50)?
changed the first frame PK Freeze leaves (Frame 20 > 19)?

Changed Down smash (OU) size ( 6 > 8 )
Changed OU/normal downsmash X offset: 7.52 > 8
Changed down Smash (normal) size: 6 > 7

OU:

Normal:

End.

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
So the tl;dr of this is that his hitboxes are excessively nuanced the point that without consistently perfect microspacing the behavior of his moves become unpredictable?

Last edited:

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
But difficult stuff is fun to learn. At least for me :p

But from what I gathered about this, your main qualm seems to be even a very small misspacing means a totally different effect for a move. And I can see why that would be a problem. It's just a level of precision that's very difficult to control. However, you mentioned "Marth-esque spacing" required for him to succeed, which I think is pretty good IMO. Like Marth, the move's effects tend to be the best at the "end" of the hitbox (see nair, fair) which promotes awareness of positioning as well as combo ability. Typically when you space better you're safer from pressure AND you get the good hitbox. This is true in both Marth and Lucas. Take for example tipper f-smash (PM specifically). It's a pretty hard move to hand consistently. Though couldn't the same case be made for Lucas' fair? Though for the Marth player to do it consistently, they have to learn the hitboxes, learn to position themselves accordingly, etc. and the same case could be made for Lucas, especially DJC being used to change your positioning as well (forward/backward). As well, like the spacies, Lucas can turnaround jump cancel his magnet to space moves better and hit maybe a sweetspot bair to end a stock of an opponent recovering high.

So really, I believe he actually EXCELS in the first field you listed in "Tier list speculation":

• where the player has a great degree of control over their character due to the technical skill that they've achieved.
Lucas has an amazing DD game, very good wavedashes, DJC mixups, you name it. He has a plethora of movement options available to him to navigate where he wants to go. Even wavebounce magnets or PKF help in spacing and mixup your opponents. He has many nuances about him that a player needs to learn consistently in order to perform well. This includes spacing, positioning, move mechanics, character mechanics, etc. and as I said, spacing is a huge one. Despite the "inconsistencies" there are of Lucas' spacing, the answer to the solution is simple: "space it better", or in internet meme-y terms: "git gud". I still have a lot to learn about Lucas' spacing myself, and I'm currently experimenting with it right now as well as other various tech that has uses (such as http://gfycat.com/FondPersonalBooby (yes that's me)) which allow him to excel. Studying how he moves and his hitboxes help a lot and once I have his spacing down I can perform optimal punishes AND know when to hit with the sour spot of his other moves intentionally.

Yes, he is a precise character, but that's among one of his better traits IMO. He also has good movement options that he can use to better space himself against opponents. Utilizing his good movement, spacing really helps with that.

That's just my opinion, of course :p

EDIT:

As for how he stands currently, I feel like he has lots of untapped potential. If someone learns to space his aerials well like Melee Marth mains do, I feel like he could do pretty well. I think as is right now he sits at a comfortable A spot in a tier list, or at the very least is pretty high up there. He requires Marth like spacing but has the combo game of a spacie. So those two combined seem very interesting to me.

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Lucas still needs the old fair range back. He doesn't need the 3.0 sweetspot, but without the extra range / disjoint, Lucas suffers in some matchups more than he should.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
Yeah, I can definitely understand the need for some increase on the fair sweetspot. I still have some trouble landing it when I think I should :p

But up until that happens, I'm just gonna learn to make do with what we have.

Last edited:

D e l t a

Having a move that's barely active aka not a sex kick, makes Fair one of the worst approach moves and extremely precise. I'm not going to complain endlessly about it, but the move needs something.

Last edited:

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
Yeah...I never really dived into Lucas that much in 3.02 (if at all) so I really don't know what the pre-3.5 fair was like. It must've been awesome. Seeing as you know a lot more than I do about 3.02-3.6 Lucas, I'm going to assume that you're REALLY right.

Last edited:

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
Yeah I know about *one* site that had past builds. I forget its name right now though.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
Oh my.
3.02 fair is really ****ing good

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
So the tl;dr of this is that his hitboxes are excessively nuanced the point that without consistently perfect microspacing the behavior of his moves become unpredictable?
Yes! You worded it much better than I could have. It's not so noticeable on slower characters, but when Falcon is constantly threatening your space with DD, Lucas doesn't have any reliable options besides maybe magnet and nair, which, as I mentioned, the results vary drastically -- not all the time -- but all too often for my tastes.

Lucas still needs the old fair range back. He doesn't need the 3.0 sweetspot, but without the extra range / disjoint, Lucas suffers in some matchups more than he should.
for me, it's not even the range. I just made the outer hitbubble bigger in my test build, then moved it inside Lucas' foot just a bit, but I removed the middle hitbox -- which is the biggest problem IMO. Same for Utilt, except I didn't buff the sweetspot at all.

This version of magnet and nair are a lot more consistent too, imo. Nair only sends backwards if you intentionally space it that way/face your back to your opponent when executing the move.

Also, it's important to note that a 2-frame window for his sweetspot is kinda ridiculous considering it isn't nearly as destructive as Falcon's knee. I realize it's fast, but so is knee... lol...

prem

Smash Apprentice
Knee is definitely not fast in anyway LOL. its frame 14 and a really slow move.

anyway I don't particularly agree with anything said here outside of fair range could be buffed some, he's definitely not technically too difficult and I don't think he loses to cc nearly as hard as you are making it out to be. against falcon its basically as simple as hit him with a magnet and realize hes kind of ****ed no matter what he does because falcon is godawful in shield, in cc, and when getting hit. yes you have to hit him while he's dash dancing but thats part of falcon having a good dash dance and Lucas is very capable of keeping up with him

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Knee is definitely not fast in anyway LOL. its frame 14 and a really slow move.

anyway I don't particularly agree with anything said here outside of fair range could be buffed some, he's definitely not technically too difficult and I don't think he loses to cc nearly as hard as you are making it out to be. against falcon its basically as simple as hit him with a magnet and realize hes kind of ****ed no matter what he does because falcon is godawful in shield, in cc, and when getting hit. yes you have to hit him while he's dash dancing but thats part of falcon having a good dash dance and Lucas is very capable of keeping up with him
I guess what I mean is it's a frame 14 move on a character that can bound across the stage in no time and also has little cooldown (which was my main point) for how much power it has.

I mean, not trying to say Lucas is terrible, but I certainly have to make it sound like it's a problem or else nobody cares if I say "Well, fair having slightly bad range/ease of use and in the grand scheme of things it can be worked around in some ways to where it only really matters about x%" but that's not a good selling point. You have to look at things in a microcosm instead of a "grand scheme" view or else nobody is really bad. I mean, Brawl/Melee low tiers aren't THAT bad really if you just....

Jamwa

Smash Champion
this is the fundamental design of lucas which is how he's been since brawl, and how he's meant to be in project m with the addition of a double jump cancel. its just how the character is and part of what makes him versatile which allows experienced players to be creative and confuse opponents during the combo or neutral game.

regarding fair, can we please acknowledge that the main component that made it good in 3.02 was that the hitbox was not attached to lucas. which meant that from the first frame of the hitbox, the hitbox would stay in that position while lucas rose/fell. this meant that you could retreat fair to increase disjoint, and this was applied by either DJCing backwards, or rising fair above an opponents shield to catch their jump out of shield. it also doesnt impact the ability to approach with fair, it just made the timing more difficult. much in the same way that increased range/altered hitbox priority doesnt change its effectiveness when you land it. fair is not meant to be a spacing move. we have wavedash/pivoted fsmash or ftilt, pivot grab, full hop djc fast fall bair/nair, wavebounce/b-reversed/vanilla magnet, and instant djc uair for spacing.

the size/sweetspot stuff (i think bair's killing sweetspot is a bit unreasonable tho) isnt as important since it just makes aiming the move tighter, but we have a DJC to micro-space in any position we want to. DJC is the solution to most of the complaints here, but timings other than instant djcs are not explored yet. waiting 3-4 frames before you DJC can drastically change your movement, and knowing the difference between backwards or forwards jumps is important too. utilizing these mechanics with fast falling, wavebouncing, ledge cancelling, and platform warping gives lucas infinite angles of approach. but as i said, you'd have to be a beast to be able to implement all of these techniques.

What you should be whining about is the requirement to react to SDI when comboing or ASDI -> CC when hitting low percent opponents, because getting better wont ever fix these issues for lucas, you will always have to deal with this stuff since our grab is not threatening against opponents who CC nor is it possible to react to SDI without extensively trained progressive memory to deal with any direction of SDI from each and every multi-hit move we have (nair, dair, mag, jab)

Last edited:

D e l t a

At low % you shouldn't be throwing out unsafe moves against CC. This means go for every sweetspot you can and look for grabs as much as possible at low %. Use repeated Dairs to start combos / tech chases. Or play it safe and camp with PKF lol

regarding fair, can we please acknowledge that the main component that made it good in 3.02 was that the hitbox was not attached to lucas.
YES. Lucas needs that disjoint back

i think bair's killing sweetspot is a bit unreasonable tho)
EDIT: keeping text below cuz relevant, but updating response.

Edited response: agreed the sweetspot horizontal bair kill is difficult to land, but as said below it's rewarding for proper spacing & timing. That's where having a great DJC & aerial mobility is great for Lucas.

The spike hitbox being both a true spike and also an electric hitbox (meaning extra hitstun) can be somewhat unreasonable, but it's difficult to land in the first place.

Hitting opponents with a Bair spike is a reward for proper spacing and timing. The only free Bair spikes Lucas gets are when people don't DI Dthrow and when Fox is recovering below the ledge.

utilizing these mechanics with fast falling, wavebouncing, ledge cancelling, and platform warping gives lucas infinite angles of approach. but as i said, you'd have to be a beast to be able to implement all of these techniques
I mean, I implement DJL as approaches in addition to all those you said, but it doesn't change the fact that Lucas has mediocre moves. The current Lucas meta has transformed to either heavy baits vs opponents with bad approaches, or camping with PKF until we find an opening.

Last edited:

Jerpanties

Smash Rookie
Lucas is difficult only because he is the imo the strongest character in the game. He has the most freedom with combos and the easiest kill setups. It takes skill to open up your opponents and Lucas being the easiest fall speed to combo makes character punishes easy on him. So if you drop your combos you'll lose. I've struggled with this for a time but with more experience I learned that it's all about following up right and it's not about shield pressure like Neon anymore (even though it's ****ing legit at times, ps salty af Lucas doesn't have a multishine) it's more about choosing good opening

I find the easiest approaches at early percents to be cross up nair, then B reverse mag. Also you can use PK freeze as a falco laser to take away most short hop approaches and force them to platform camp then bam you go uAir happy. Lucas is basically a combination of Fox/Falco/Ness and that's why he's the best character in pm.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
Lucas is good, but he isn't the best.
The best character is easily Fox.

prem

Smash Apprentice
its not even that simple. freeze is awful as a laser, and basically any move in the game beats a freeze so its not like it just controls the pace of the match. and he also isnt even the best at killing, has no real confirmed kill set ups i don't think (with dair being techable always). also you can multishine with lucas its actually pretty good lol

D e l t a

Multi magnets are cool and also act as shield pressure

Lucas has many confirms into grabs / DACUS / Bair. There's too many moves Lucas can combo into kill moves for your opponent to perfectly DI everything. Lucas' kill options / setups are just fine lol

prem

Smash Apprentice
Oh i don't think they arent fine and I definitely wouldn't have said they needed to be buffed. I'm just saying he doesn't really have guaranteed kill setups and definitely doesnt have the easiest kill setups lol

trancex

Smash Cadet
The game wasn't just balanced around the spacies bro. That'd be a horrible way to balance the game.

Fox is still the best character in PM. If he isn't, who is? I can't think of a better character.

Jerpanties

Smash Rookie
Fox is the only best character because of melee. People saw how to tap into his full potential. Honestly fox is only the best in the best hands. If fox is played wrong he's trash

Jerpanties

Smash Rookie
With your logic of fox being the best is that mean falco is second best? Cause he is just a clone pretty much

trancex

Smash Cadet
Falco is only superficially a clone of Fox, he plays completely differently. How are you even using that as an argument? Even so, Falco MIGHT be the 2nd best.

When we're discussing who is the best character, we don't consider scrub-level play, we consider top level. Fox being "played wrong" is completely irrelevant. Whatever man. I don't really feel like getting into a debate with you about this.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
The word "debate" triggers me
I love debate. It's so fun <3

Last edited:

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
*ahem* back on topic though.
Fox is the best, ezpz. I don't think we need to discuss there. Assuming optimal play, Lucas << Fox for reasons I don't feel like I need to get into.
Falco, as said by trancex, MIGHT be second best. Other notable candidates are ROB and Diddy, which aren't in Melee. Falco has great area control with his laser, ROB has a good projectile and can airdash, Diddy has great item play. Just because Fox was good in Melee and he mostly transfers over doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Take a look at Icies. S tier in Melee, near the bottom in PM (granted, that's because no one is really trying to learn ICs, but my point still stands). Other Melee characters are high tier (Peach, Sheik, Marth, C. Fal) but not as high as Melee because of more characters and PM gameplay/engine changes. It's a flawed argument that you're making.
Against people who know what they're doing, Lucas struggles heavily against projectiles and SDI. Fox doesn't.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
*ahem* back on topic though.
Fox is the best, ezpz. I don't think we need to discuss there. Assuming optimal play, Lucas << Fox for reasons I don't feel like I need to get into.
Falco, as said by trancex, MIGHT be second best. Other notable candidates are ROB and Diddy, which aren't in Melee. Falco has great area control with his laser, ROB has a good projectile and can airdash, Diddy has great item play. Just because Fox was good in Melee and he mostly transfers over doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Take a look at Icies. S tier in Melee, near the bottom in PM (granted, that's because no one is really trying to learn ICs, but my point still stands). Other Melee characters are high tier (Peach, Sheik, Marth, C. Fal) but not as high as Melee because of more characters and PM gameplay/engine changes. It's a flawed argument that you're making.
Against people who know what they're doing, Lucas struggles heavily against projectiles and SDI. Fox doesn't.
Just so I understand, were you saying IC's were S tier im melee? or were you referring to Fox still? Apparently Fox has his own tier now, and IC's are A tier above falcon this year.

trancex

Smash Cadet
He's almost certainly referring to the older tier list. It's forgivable if he doesn't have it internalized already.

Jerpanties

Smash Rookie
I'm just confused on if you all agree that fox is the best why don't you guys play fox? Just curious, not saying don't pick Lucas

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I'm just confused on if you all agree that fox is the best why don't you guys play fox? Just curious, not saying don't pick Lucas
I'll say fox is the best because of his kit not actually changing for function, but changing in property. Like, if you give a master craftsman bad tools, he's still a master craftsman. If you give an apprentice top of the line tools, they're still that. An apprentice. Inexperienced, and susceptible to losing out to the experience the better professional has. But just because something is the best, doesn't mean it wont lose out, or break every once in a while. That's why match ups are averaged out of 10, or 100. The best can still lose out to the worst in specific instances. Comparably here, it'd say its like 6-4 or maybe 5.5-4.5 Lucas v. Fox in Fox's favor. I say that because a large majority of Fox's gameplan didn't change with his nerfs. It just takes more work to make it happen. Also, on the flipside, ill say that because of the larger scale of changes for Lucas, you have to try harder to utilize his tools, and also play better than the Fox that, while nerfed, still has his general strong gameplan and moveset.

But, just because a character is better than one someone is interested in, doesn't mean you shouldn't stick it out. Look at all the people that play everything that isn't Fox.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
For the same reason that not everyone plays Fox in Melee.

Because we enjoy another character.

Fox is weaker in this game than he is in Melee, but still easily a top character. However, many characters can compete with him in this game since most of the cast has better tools than they had in Melee or Brawl, while his tools became less dominating.

Top Bottom