• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OP characters in Project M

Are there OP characters in Project M?

• Total voters

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
Do you actually think that there are OP characters, it seems pretty balanced, though I find like 3 characters OP, but I won't say and let you guys hash it out.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
One I say lock this thread. Two I'd say no one is broken, only Falco's Dair is dumb because its just to idk like forgiving? Yoshi definitly looks stronger than I'd imagine in the right hands. I'd go as far to say some characters seem underpowered even if by only a slight bit.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I wouldn't say there are any overbearingly strong characters.
There are just quite a few heavily one sided match-ups IMO.
Ex: Kirby Vs Swords, Spacies vs Pit, etc.

(Spacies get wrecked by Pit, imo)

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
What Alfonzo said. However, if I had to pick I'd really still have to call it on Marth, he just seems ridiculously safe - I get that's his thing but there has to be a limit to these things.

210stuna

Smash Lord
To master Project: M you must change to an adapting environment, also you must train and main more than one character now.
It's not like you can solely main Fox and say you're done for the day, like others have said there are some crazy good match up disadvantages out there.
There are more characters now, and more chances for opportunity. Lettuce seize the moment

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
(Spacies get wrecked by Pit, imo)
Gee, I wonder why you would say that.

Like the others said, there are no overbearingly powerful, vBrawl MK-like characters in this game. And while tiers are much less spread-out than previous games, there are many who think that we have a few underpowered characters instead on our hands. I myself think that the top tiers in the game are grouped much closer together than the low tiers, where disparities are significantly larger.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
I am broken.

I feel Mario is a little more powerful than it should be but it's all about patience with his increasingly speed and priority.

GreaterMaelstrom

Smash Rookie
...Although I believe the latest patch hasn't been out long enough to determine if a character is broken. I can pretty much predict that there'll be at least 2 OP characters. (pit isn't one of them). there are so many broken elements to the game for me to believe that in the longrun everyone is perfectly balanced. characters like wario, Zelda and link should be looked at for if they end up in the wrong hands might be a threat. for example, Zeldas Bair & Fair hitboxes are pretty silly IMO, let alone the land lag reduction and speed at which the hitbox is released.

I believe when we have a MU chart we'll begin to see a spread.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Do you actually think that there are OP characters, it seems pretty balanced, though I find like 3 characters OP, but I won't say and let you guys hash it out.
Whelp, consider others don't really have an opinion, who did you think?

Personally, I don't think anyone is too strong. There are a few character that I feel like they haven't "Project M"ified yet, but no one seems overbearing, cept maybe pit. MAYBE. (Prolly not tho.)

Fortress

Smash Master
To be honest, Pit is the only character I have a huge grudge against. His attacks are way powerful. I remember getting hit like four times and being at what must've been fifty damage.

He's not overpowered by any means though.

Last edited:

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
What Alfonzo said. However, if I had to pick I'd really still have to call it on Marth, he just seems ridiculously safe - I get that's his thing but there has to be a limit to these things.
Marth vs [Earthbound character here] oh my god, he sucks at that match up, I feel that he can't deal with small characters like them.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
Whelp, consider others don't really have an opinion, who did you think?

Personally, I don't think anyone is too strong. There are a few character that I feel like they haven't "Project M"ified yet, but no one seems overbearing, cept maybe pit. MAYBE. (Prolly not tho.)
Ivysaur I have a huge freakin problem with, he seems like a a$$holeish character to play and his attacks I hate so much, but to me he's like just below semi OP, but that may just be me.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Everyone loved to point out how godly powerful the space animals were, and everyone was whining about how they had no bad match ups. They were no skill, boring, polarizing, unbeatable, ect.

And then Armada won

Thank you Armada, for slapping some sense into these dumb****s

Vashimus

Smash Master
Never mind the fact that Armada is a beast and wrecks spaces on a daily basis. Realistically speaking, Armada could've picked from half of the cast in P:M besides Pit and still would've won.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Never mind the fact that Armada is a beast and wrecks spaces on a daily basis. Realistically speaking, Armada could've picked from half of the cast in P:M besides Pit and still would've won.
Yea and i guess m2k was just another scrub, and not one of the best fox players in the world

And the fact that he can take half the cast and wreck spacies on a daily basis kinda helps prove my point

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
As if Armada hasn't beaten M2K before.

The point was that Armada winning Apex doesn't really hold much weight for the defense of spacies because at the end of the day,
  1. It's Armada.
  2. Because it's Armada, you can be sure he knows Fox and Falco match ups in-and-out
  3. Not everyone knows the Pit matchup in-and-out

It doesn't mean spacies are completely off the hook.

Last edited:

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I hate to be the baron of bad news, but this thread is about which character is OP, not which character won apex. There is a subtle difference. Very subtle

Besides, isn't the argument for why we don't have a tier list for project M basically because it's way too early to tell who is OP.
I'm pretty sure the only reason that spacies had dominated P:M tourneys before is because pro's are more familiar with them from melee and it translates decently. Now that better players are learning different characters, it doesn't surprise me that other characters are winning P:M tourneys. The pro's are finally just getting to other characters.

tan(90

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur I have a huge freakin problem with, he seems like a a$$holeish character to play and his attacks I hate so much, but to me he's like just below semi OP, but that may just be me.
He's refering when he plays against my Ivysaur. I only play Ivysaur to mess him up.

Vashimus

Smash Master
To be fair, Umbreon the one to credit for the "there are only johns" quote, not me.

I also mean that in terms of P:M only. Don't say that in the Brawl boards lol.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
It doesn't mean spacies are completely off the hook.
I agree that spacies aren't off the hook, but i just want everyone to cut it out with the whole bull**** mentality that the Spacies are mindless, no skill, way over the top broken, unbeatable, ect.

tan(90

Smash Apprentice
Mhm. I was playing against my friend named Gavin. He mains Link and spaces literally until you get to 100%. It's just boomerang, bow, boomerang, bow, and if you get near him, he'll just roll away. So now whenever my friends and I excessively roll, we say "No Gavins"

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Mhm. I was playing against my friend named Gavin. He mains Link and spaces literally until you get to 100%. It's just boomerang, bow, boomerang, bow, and if you get near him, he'll just roll away. So now whenever my friends and I excessively roll, we say "No Gavins"
Rolls are hilariously punishable. Especially if he does it every time you close in, predict where he'll go, prepare a quick move and combo from there. Ike's only way of handling that match-up is slipping through the projectile wall and starting something off QD attack/grab. Most characters should operate similarly.

Spacies have a dominating neutral game and Falco's projectile is silly. As is Shine. They are overbearing if not overpowered.

To everyone citing Armada as proof that spacies are beatable: The man himself, both on his "Ask Armada" Reddit as well as on the Pit boards (swing by sometime) has talked about how it's a disadvantageous match-up and that Pit can't do anything against a patient Fox that refuses to let Pit in. Leffen's Fox very nearly beat Armada in Winner's Finals of BEAST 4; that Armada "wrecks" the best Foxes in P:M has nothing to do with the match-up being in Pit's favor. The dude has yet to drop a tournament set in P:M and slaughters with his chosen character in spite of relatively little practice with P:M. He is simply a monster.

@ The person who talked about Earthbound characters wrecking Marth: Fthrow- -> Fthrow -> Fthrow -> FSmash -> Dair. Ness gets outspaced hard and Lucas struggles. Dr. PP makes the match-up look completely unfair.

Ivysaur became a lot more manageable without the ability to spam Razor Leaf quite as much.

The game is fine. No one is broken in the traditional sense; some select characters just have match-up spreads that are way too green.

Last edited:

Sqweg

Smash Rookie
I feel as though the devs of project m have done a fantastic job trying to create an over all equal game in terms of character power. There is always going to be a character with a better kit than another but overall i don't feel as though there are any extremely overwhelmingly powerful characters. I personally believe it all depends a persons skill level and the ability to understand and how to deal with specific match ups :).

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
Rolls are hilariously punishable. Especially if he does it every time you close in, predict where he'll go, prepare a quick move and combo from there. Ike's only way of handling that match-up is slipping through the projectile wall and starting something off QD attack/grab. Most characters should operate similarly.

Spacies have a dominating neutral game and Falco's projectile is silly. As is Shine. They are overbearing if not overpowered.

To everyone citing Armada as proof that spacies are beatable: The man himself, both on his "Ask Armada" Reddit as well as on the Pit boards (swing by sometime) has talked about how it's a disadvantageous match-up and that Pit can't do anything against a patient Fox that refuses to let Pit in. Leffen's Fox very nearly beat Armada in Winner's Finals of BEAST 4; that Armada "wrecks" the best Foxes in P:M has nothing to do with the match-up being in Pit's favor. The dude has yet to drop a tournament set in P:M and slaughters with his chosen character in spite of relatively little practice with P:M. He is simply a monster.

@ The person who talked about Earthbound characters wrecking Marth: Fthrow- -> Fthrow -> Fthrow -> FSmash -> Dair. Ness gets outspaced hard and Lucas struggles. Dr. PP makes the match-up look completely unfair.

Ivysaur became a lot more manageable without the ability to spam Razor Leaf quite as much.

The game is fine. No one is broken in the traditional sense; some select characters just have match-up spreads that are way too green.
Yea I guess your right, I knew about the Fthrow to Fthrow, but I actually knew tried out Fsmash to Dair I just went right to the Dair thanks this'll help me in my money match

Fortress

Smash Master
Best way to punish somebody who rolls way too much; just run right up to them, and don't do anything. When you've baited out the roll, just go for the easy grab.

Peazy'd.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
Best way to punish somebody who rolls way too much; just run right up to them, and don't do anything. When you've baited out the roll, just go for the easy grab.

Peazy'd.
lol i never thought of that for some reason maybe I did but then I got all hyped when I learned how to double shine with falco......using the analog stick :-D

Top Bottom