• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Smash Etiquette

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
How to be a respectable opponent in 1v1 online.

Basic etiquette is about avoiding being a douche:

1. NO SMACK TALK. Don't talk trash in the lobby. Dropping "GET GUD" and "EZPZ" is lame.
3. NO MIRRORS. Never switch to the character your opponent is using in order to humiliate them by performing better. The only exception is if you have both already used that character at some point against each other during the current competition, or if the person is an etiquette breaker. But don't dominate them with their own main just to be a poodlehat. Purposefully copying your opponent's color scheme is also lame.
4. NO TEABAGGING. Don't repeatedly crouch to taunt your opponent, especially if you're on a winning streak. A sore winner is far more obnoxious than a sore loser. Again, you get a pass with etiquette breakers.
5. NO CAMPING. Don't hang back without attacking all the time. Doing it occasionally to bait your opponent is fine, but if you are so bad about it that if your opponent doesn't move forward you will ONLY stand still (maybe only ducking every several seconds to avoid getting booted by the server for idling) then you are a lamer.
6. NO SANDBAGGING. Don't hold back your true ability against people who are tiers below you in skill, letting them think they have a chance, but always winning in the end just to screw with them. Not cool.
7. NO RAGEQUITTING. Don't ragequit to prevent your opponent from being able to save a clip of the match. That's super douchey. However, I haven't seen that happen lately, I think Nintendo may have patched it so that if someone rage quits, their character becomes a Lv. 1 CPU who constantly walks slowly toward you without blocking, and only rarely attacking with a simple jab. This should allow you to complete the match and save a clip of it. Can someone else confirm?

Advanced etiquette is about actively being a good sportsman or extra considerate:

1. GIVE REMATCHES. If you win the first match with a new character, give your opponent a chance at a rematch (choosing the exact same character). The exception is if you're one of those people who cycles through the entire roster or picks random, then it's fine. Annoying, but fine. But don't be switching back and forth between your mains to metagame against your opponent's weaknesses without at least 1 rematch per new character.
2. Say GOOD GAME. Dropping a "GG" or "GGs" when appropriate can go a long way. Don't mindlessly overdo it though, it's possible to accidentally come off as sarcastic if you just drop GG on a game where you just 2-stocked someone.
3. HELP YOUR OPPONENT IMPROVE. If your opponent seems like they're in the zone, intent on beating your character, and has come close a number of times or is getting noticeably better every single round, let them keep trying much as your patience will allow. If you drop out prematurely because they're starting to come scarily close to beating you, it robs them of that valuable learning experience. Helping your opponent learn from their mistakes and improve their game by using you essentially as a training partner is one of the coolest things you can do for your fellow Smashers. Not every has the time or patience for this, but doing so is going above and beyond to be a great sportsman.
4. OPPOSITE COLORS. If you don't really care about your colors one way or the other, pick a color scheme opposite of your opponent so you stand out from each other better. This helps out noobs and some people who have less than perfect vision.

-----

Of course these are my personal feelings on these otherwise "unspoken rules".

Feel free to add more I may have left out, or disagree with any of the ones listed.

Last edited:

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
How about overtaunting?

I think Nintendo programed the game so you can taunt only 3 times per match in FG but I haven't found proof of that. At first I assumed it was my connection.

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
How about overtaunting?

I think Nintendo programed the game so you can taunt only 3 times per match in FG but I haven't found proof of that. At first I assumed it was my connection.
I believe that you start out with 2 taunts and you get one more for every ko you get.

Arrei

Smash Lord
3. NO MIRRORS. Never switch to the character your opponent is using
Everything else is pretty sound but I'm just gonna say this one can screw off. There are more reasons for switching to the same character than just to be a jerk. Some of us happen to enjoy playing mirrors, thank you very much.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everything else is pretty sound but I'm just gonna say this one can screw off. There are more reasons for switching to the same character than just to be a jerk. Some of us happen to enjoy playing mirrors, thank you very much.
Except for the part where you intentionally omitted the rest of my sentence (without even the courtesy of a grammatically required ellipsis) to strip it of context. Context, which, when read, renders your comment pointless.

Everything else about your comment is pretty sound.

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
How to be a respectable opponent in 1v1 online.

Basic etiquette is about avoiding being a douche:

1. NO SMACK TALK. Don't talk trash in the lobby. Dropping "GET GUD" and "EZPZ" is lame.
3. NO MIRRORS. Never switch to the character your opponent is using in order to humiliate them by performing better. The only exception is if you have both already used that character at some point against each other during the current competition, or if the person is an etiquette breaker. But don't dominate them with their own main just to be a poodlehat. Purposefully copying your opponent's color scheme is also lame.
4. NO TEABAGGING. Don't repeatedly crouch to taunt your opponent, especially if you're on a winning streak. A sore winner is far more obnoxious than a sore loser. Again, you get a pass with etiquette breakers.
5. NO CAMPING. Don't hang back without attacking all the time. Doing it occasionally to bait your opponent is fine, but if you are so bad about it that if your opponent doesn't move forward you will ONLY stand still (maybe only ducking every several seconds to avoid getting booted by the server for idling) then you are a lamer.
6. NO SANDBAGGING. Don't hold back your true ability against people who are tiers below you in skill, letting them think they have a chance, but always winning in the end just to screw with them. Not cool.
7. NO RAGEQUITTING. Don't ragequit to prevent your opponent from being able to save a clip of the match. That's super douchey. However, I haven't seen that happen lately, I think Nintendo may have patched it so that if someone rage quits, their character becomes a Lv. 1 CPU who constantly walks slowly toward you without blocking, and only rarely attacking with a simple jab. This should allow you to complete the match and save a clip of it. Can someone else confirm?

Advanced etiquette is about actively being a good sportsman or extra considerate:

1. GIVE REMATCHES. If you win the first match with a new character, give your opponent a chance at a rematch (choosing the exact same character). The exception is if you're one of those people who cycles through the entire roster or picks random, then it's fine. Annoying, but fine. But don't be switching back and forth between your mains to metagame against your opponent's weaknesses without at least 1 rematch per new character.
2. Say GOOD GAME. Dropping a "GG" or "GGs" when appropriate can go a long way. Don't mindlessly overdo it though, it's possible to accidentally come off as sarcastic if you just drop GG on a game where you just 2-stocked someone.
3. HELP YOUR OPPONENT IMPROVE. If your opponent seems like they're in the zone, intent on beating your character, and has come close a number of times or is getting noticeably better every single round, let them keep trying much as your patience will allow. If you drop out prematurely because they're starting to come scarily close to beating you, it robs them of that valuable learning experience. Helping your opponent learn from their mistakes and improve their game by using you essentially as a training partner is one of the coolest things you can do for your fellow Smashers. Not every has the time or patience for this, but doing so is going above and beyond to be a great sportsman.
4. OPPOSITE COLORS. If you don't really care about your colors one way or the other, pick a color scheme opposite of your opponent so you stand out from each other better. This helps out noobs and some people who have less than perfect vision.

-----

Of course these are my personal feelings on these otherwise "unspoken rules".

Feel free to add more I may have left out, or disagree with any of the ones listed.

I have a fantastic idea. Why don't you play Smash blind? You know, with your eyes closed, or maybe even put an actual scarf or piece of fabric around your eyes since you're apparently so easily perturbed. Better yet, why don't you change your name ID tag to something like "EzOffend," for "easily offended?" Give me a break. Etiquette? You mean harping on nonsensical realities that you can't control? These are more like your desired Smash rules. Call them the Smash German "SS," or the Smash Brothers"Secret Police Rules." Please. If those small and insignificant things upset or offend you, then just go play For Fun mode. It amazes me how serious Smash players could be so easily up in arms by the smallest infractions in a two minute game. No smacktalk? Really? And people aren't fifty times more offensive on online sites, social media, and other video games? Does it really upset you to the point of barking about it online? What, you can't talk trash back? Beat your opponent to the point that their comments are funny? Or simply quit out of that particular game? No mirrors? Really? So if you're horrendous with my main and I choose to use him/her, I supposedly can't because it may humiliate you? Please. Thicken your skin, dear friend. No camping? If I have a character who shoots projectiles and you can't stop them, you're telling me I should just beckon to your weaknesses and allow you to win? Please. Learn to fight against all playing styles, even if you don't like them. No sandbagging? Really? Are you that upset if someone turns out to be much better than they were? Didn't you walk into the trap in the first place, dear friend?

In the end, with this type of language, "etiquette," rules, and issues regarding online play, you're better off not even playing Smash. Perhaps you could find an intense strategy game, or maybe some good rounds of chess against a computer. That way, hopefully, the computer you play against won't upset you.

Jaycee_023

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0852-1547
I have to agree with the above poster. While I agree with a decent portion of what you say, OP, I would never say "This is the way you should play the game" to others. This kind of rule policing is harmful to, say, people who are just joining the forum and may accept this thread as widely accepted rules for how to play. Some people like to taunt. Many enjoy mirror matches. Hell, if the goal on FG is to win, if I think camping will help me get the win if I'm in a tight spot, why wouldn't I do it? I would never go into a 1v1 with the intention of "being a douche", but there's no way I'll be thinking about NOT being a douche. I'll be thinking about both winning and having fun, placing your restrictions on my game can hinder both of those goals.

TL;DR- You don't like the way certain people play the game. That's fine, just don't label what you don't like as "douchey" in an effort to stop others from playing the game in a way they might find enjoyable.

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
I have to agree with the above poster. While I agree with a decent portion of what you say, OP, I would never say "This is the way you should play the game" to others. This kind of rule policing is harmful to, say, people who are just joining the forum and may accept this thread as widely accepted rules for how to play. Some people like to taunt. Many enjoy mirror matches. Hell, if the goal on FG is to win, if I think camping will help me get the win if I'm in a tight spot, why wouldn't I do it? I would never go into a 1v1 with the intention of "being a douche", but there's no way I'll be thinking about NOT being a douche. I'll be thinking about both winning and having fun, placing your restrictions on my game can hinder both of those goals.

TL;DR- You don't like the way certain people play the game. That's fine, just don't label what you don't like as "douchey" in an effort to stop others from playing the game in a way they might find enjoyable.
Brilliant.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Except for the part where you intentionally omitted the rest of my sentence (without even the courtesy of a grammatically required ellipsis) to strip it of context. Context, which, when read, renders your comment pointless.
I omitted the rest precisely because it didn't render my comment pointless. You specified the exceptions are if you've both already used that character or if your opponent is already a d-bag, and phrased the initial rule in big red text as if to imply there is something inherently disrespectful about merely playing a mirror and there is only a specific instance in which doing so is not rude. So if I see a new opponent is using one of my characters, and for our second match I switch to that character, I'm being disrespectful? That mentality serves to do nothing but impose negative meaning into a completely innocent act, as if no one could simply... want to play a mirror.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a fantastic idea. Why don't you play Smash blind? You know, with your eyes closed, or maybe even put an actual scarf or piece of fabric around your eyes since you're apparently so easily perturbed. Better yet, why don't you change your name ID tag to something like "EzOffend," for "easily offended?" Give me a break. Etiquette? You mean harping on nonsensical realities that you can't control? These are more like your desired Smash rules. Call them the Smash German "SS," or the Smash Brothers"Secret Police Rules." Please. If those small and insignificant things upset or offend you, then just go play For Fun mode. It amazes me how serious Smash players could be so easily up in arms by the smallest infractions in a two minute game. No smacktalk? Really? And people aren't fifty times more offensive on online sites, social media, and other video games? Does it really upset you to the point of barking about it online? What, you can't talk trash back? Beat your opponent to the point that their comments are funny? Or simply quit out of that particular game? No mirrors? Really? So if you're horrendous with my main and I choose to use him/her, I supposedly can't because it may humiliate you? Please. Thicken your skin, dear friend. No camping? If I have a character who shoots projectiles and you can't stop them, you're telling me I should just beckon to your weaknesses and allow you to win? Please. Learn to fight against all playing styles, even if you don't like them. No sandbagging? Really? Are you that upset if someone turns out to be much better than they were? Didn't you walk into the trap in the first place, dear friend?

In the end, with this type of language, "etiquette," rules, and issues regarding online play, you're better off not even playing Smash. Perhaps you could find an intense strategy game, or maybe some good rounds of chess against a computer. That way, hopefully, the computer you play against won't upset you.
First off, when I play online in FG, I pretty much always win. And because most of these etiquette guidelines apply to the person with the upper hand (so as not to be a douche to lesser skilled players), these guidelines aren't to protect my feelings. If anything, they're simply an outline of the way I behave towards those I conquer. So that pretty much nullifies the entire basis of your very presumptuous comment.

Secondly, if you're so bad at English that you don't know the difference between "unspoken" rules of etiquette and an enforceable code of conduct, then you should just pack it up and start speaking glossolalia.

Really? Are you that upset if someone wrote a post about etiquette? Is the concept of not being a douche to other people for no reason that enraging, my dear friend? Please. Are you mad because it makes you realize that you're about as nice of a person in game as you are on this thread? Really? Please. If that's a problem, maybe you should go to a hate forum where the concept of etiquette doesn't upset you.

(P.S. It felt gross just trying to jokingly imitate that obnoxious style of writing. How can anyone do it without feeling slimy?)

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
I actually hope people switch to G&W after I beat them :) 70% of the time they just spam down throw into judgement, keys and dash attacks.

But to be serious, I enjoy mirrors, it also helps me learn the mu when other people have a main like mine. I personally don't find it rude nor insulting.

Last edited:

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
First off, when I play online in FG, I pretty much always win. And because most of these etiquette guidelines apply to the person with the upper hand (so as not to be a douche to lesser skilled players), these guidelines aren't to protect my feelings. If anything, they're simply an outline of the way I behave towards those I conquer. So that pretty much nullifies the entire basis of your very presumptuous comment.

Secondly, if you're so bad at English that you don't know the difference between "unspoken" rules of etiquette and an enforceable code of conduct, then you should just pack it up and start speaking glossolalia.

Really? Are you that upset if someone wrote a post about etiquette? Is the concept of not being a douche to other people for no reason that enraging, my dear friend? Please. Are you mad because it makes you realize that you're about as nice of a person in game as you are on this thread? Really? Please. If that's a problem, maybe you should go to a hate forum where the concept of etiquette doesn't upset you.

(P.S. It felt gross just trying to jokingly imitate that obnoxious style of writing. How can anyone do it without feeling slimy?)
Alas, he whom "pretty much always wins" and "conquers" his opponents is so charitable and magnanimous that he is indeed, not a douche....right..."how to avoid being a douche, from the conquering douche." I love your satire.:joyful:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alas, he whom "pretty much always wins" and "conquers" his opponents is so charitable and magnanimous that he is indeed, not a douche....right..."how to avoid being a douche, from the conquering douche." I love your satire.:joyful:
Except it's not satire, as you well know. Clearly my post shared my honest feelings on how people would preferably behave. Do you genuinely think it's preferable to be hostile toward people? I mean, I given how you're speaking here, I suppose the answer to that is apparent.

At no point in my original post did I even remotely attempt to come off as magnanimous, indeed, I didn't even mention which 'side' of the effects of this etiquette I was on (winner or loser) except after the fact to disabuse an angry troll of his false presumptions. But you can continue to frame it that way if building such an uncharitable narrative gets you off. I won't get in the way of your strange pleasures. Carry on.

Last edited:

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Is no-one gonna note on how in the original post OP just went from 1 straight to 3? Did we all just miss this or are we trying to not talk about it all awkward, like when you're in a room with just you and your girlfriend's Ex and you say nothing to each other. Because how did you not see that OP?

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is no-one gonna note on how in the original post OP just went from 1 straight to 3? Did we all just miss this or are we trying to not talk about it all awkward, like when you're in a room with just you and your girlfriend's Ex and you say nothing to each other. Because how did you not see that OP?
We don't talk about #2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom