• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online smash and console smash going in opposite directions

Madao

I've honestly never made a .krec file. If you really want, you could send me a link to 1 and I can take a look at it. I'd imagine it's just binary numbers. My guess is maybe 4 bytes represent one frame of input. You could probably make a program that could interpret the data. This is all assuming there's no compression or anything. I'm guessing you're interested in modifying it? If there is compression involved, then interpreting the data will be harder.

I wish pj64k was open source, so i could port Kailera to PJ64 1.6.

B Link

Smash Lord
IDK if it's compressed...I was able to open the .krec in word and notepad, and only parts of it were gibberish (i.e. the inputs were gibberish, lol). The rest was regular text though (e.g. you can read "Player 1" & "Delay = 1 frame"). Maybe it is though.

I wanted to see the list of inputs that arise after you complete a match. PJ64k works as such: If you "tick" record game in an online match, you and your opponent's inputs turn into a .krec file. You can then go to "3. Playback" and watch your old matches. You can watch them because pj64k stored both your inputs as a .krec file.

Go on any server, tick record, and start ssb. After you stop the game, your "records" folder in pj64k will now contain .krec file(s). If you can't play online for whatever reason, ok I can send you a .krec file lol

Purpose: Wouldn't it be interesting to know what precise inputs, X, your opponent put in, when you inputted Y?

Last edited:

Madao

I was just lazy, so I downloaded a random .krec file off of 4shared LOL. I went ahead and looked at it in Hex editor. It doesn't seem to be compressed. The way the data was arranged, looked similar to how I predicted it. The data seems to be arranged in chronological order. I found the chat log in the hex editor as well. What I'm wondering now is if the data matches the input values for buttons. Another thing that confuses me is how it would distinguish input between the 4 player ports.

Lol if PJ64k had frame by frame mode, I'd be able to check the input data with cheat engine.

So if I understand you correctly, you want to be able to log the input data and analyze it? For example, it would display something like frame# 4020: player 1 held the A button and player 2 held the B Button.

This could programatically be done.

B Link

Smash Lord
Yes, you're understanding my interests 100% perfectly. If there is a way to do this, I am interested in helping out, though I don't really know much lol.

There is a japanese version of kaillera that may be able to pause recordings, idk if that would help you in terms of using cheat engine. I'm not 100% sure it could pause; in my memory it could definitely rewind though. I can't seem to find mine atm, but I can search for it later. Let me know if you're interested.

(Also, I'd like to see what you're seeing -- I'm guessing I should just google a hex editor?)

Last edited:

Madao

I'm actually semi-interested. It would be cool if I was able to write a program that generates the output. The only thing stopping me is the difficulty of doing it. I'll give it a shot, but if I find out that it's beyond my level of understanding, then I'll either take a break or completely give up. What I can do for now is take a look at the input data in cheat engine. I enjoyed writing an interpreter for SSB64 moveset data since they use weird formulas to pack data.

I use HxD. It's a nice hex editor. I also downloaded MadEdit because it can display japanese text, although I still prefer HxD.

Top Bottom