• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Lag Even With Wired Adapter

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
Ok so here is my situation, Time Warner internet 16D 1U. I have a wired adapter. Router is a couple months old. Modem is good. I used to play monster hunter online with no issues. I cannot play a single match of sm4sh online without constant lag. (not just like input lag. but all around lag constantly with occasional complete freezes) I've tried every viable setting with the wii u and with the router. Tried wired and wireless with the exact same results. My PC gets a speed test of 16D 1U. The wii u gives me around 8 or 9 Down and .7 or .8up. The wii u internet browser seems to work perfectly fine and at decent speed. But I cannot play smash. I'm starting to thing there's an issue with my wii u itself.
Anyone else still have these issues? Any solutions?

Update: Switching the router channel proved to not be a solution. I've played a few times since. Once was the worst ever. Another time was relatively playable, a little lag here and there. Another time was awful again. I've tried on various days and times and there seems to be no correlation. I'm wonder if there is an issue with my Wii U itself or if my ISP is just awful. Speed test indicate my ping is always between 30 and 40 so it should be playable.

Update 2: So my friend brought his wii u over to test to see if my wii u was the issue. It was not. He had the same lag issues I have. So that must mean it's my ISP that's the issue. I know 1mbps up isn't a lot but it should be enough to play online, right? Or is it possible there is some issue with my modem? time warner modem

Last edited:

ssbm_ENGLAND

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeFroglet
I have wired and my games all run extremely smooth on XBONE with no lag ever.. I think there netcode just pure sucks.. it;s pointless i always start a game online and just SD twice there is no point in playing with the awful lag.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
I am playing wireless and was having constant stutter lag one day. I checked my router settings and somehow it all got reset to default (Comcast router/modem combo). I switched my router channel from "Auto" to "11" and that helped a lot. I read somewhere that these days devices are optimized for wireless and actually the wired connection might be slower. Not sure if that is the case here, but I figured I'd share.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I am playing wireless and was having constant stutter lag one day. I checked my router settings and somehow it all got reset to default (Comcast router/modem combo). I switched my router channel from "Auto" to "11" and that helped a lot. I read somewhere that these days devices are optimized for wireless and actually the wired connection might be slower. Not sure if that is the case here, but I figured I'd share.
Yeah that's what happens with me. Hard to exactly explain but it's like the game moves in slow motion. It's not like i'm randomly lagging it's like the whole match is moving in slow melee mode. I think even the clock timer moves slower so it isn't real time. Will have to verify that. I will try switching the router channel. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom