• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online help

jacobj77

Smash Rookie
Hey im kinda of new here so forgive me of my inexperience. So if you want to play online using friend codes and such do the people have to live near you? For example i live in central virginia so is there like a 200 mile radius or something? Or do they have to be near my part of VA? Could they be a state or two over? Please excuse me if their is already a thread like this im just so confused.

Penguin4478

Smash Cadet
Well...

I'm pretty sure the range is pretty far, probably worldwide. But the connection obviously is a lot better when people are closer to you. Considering how bad Brawl's online play is, if you were to play with me (I live in Oregon on the west coast), then you'd probably experience maybe infrequent lag spikes of a few frames, which isn't too bad (it's still pretty bad, trust me) but can be very annoying in a fighting game like Brawl. If you were to play someone in Australia your connection would be really bad, probably to the point of unplayable. It also depends on your wifi's quality and your opponents' wifi's quality.

Pizdek

Smash Rookie
yeah I played someone from the states (I'm from Europe) and the lag was ridiculous. I don't get it tho - when I play Mario Kart in worldwide mode the game is smooth. What gives with that? :/

Penguin4478

Smash Cadet
Well, the camera in SSBB has to show all players all the time. Hence, if even one person lags then pretty much the entire screen for everyone does.

In MKW the camera is individually set so that if one person lags then only that person's view lags. Also if they lag they'll only seem to teleport spontaneously to other online players.

Pizdek

Smash Rookie
Makes sense. Thankss. Luckily I had more good connections than bad ones so far so it's all cool. The only thing that doesn't work very well in Europe it seems is the 'Free for all' mode. No one ever shows up.

Top Bottom