• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Concerns (When Online Feels Boring)

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
I use to love playing Smash and Pokken online but ever since I started attending locals and nationals I find online to lack a lot of luster and become boring very fast. This might be because when you play online your just sitting in front of your TV by your lonesome, with no one to talk to, no atmosphere and no real social interaction. Ya there is discord and Anther's ladder but its still no substitute for the real thing, plus even on there people can get pretty salty. Something you see less of at a real even as people like to put on a face, how often do you hear someone in real life tell you go to hell or curse or make a fool of themselves in person for everyone to see. Sure it happens but without a computer screen between you and the other person they tend to act more mild.

For Glory and Pokken ranked matches are not that bad but even if I win or lose I feel...nothing anymore.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I can agree. The real thing is too good. One thing i wound add is that you don't know who your facing online. In person, you can tell just how good your opponent is by talking to them and seeing how they place in the tourney; and you can tell how good your are by how well you do against them.

My first large scale tournament was a dream. The PM pro Oracle came and I asked if i could play a round of friendlies with him in smash 4. He agreed and i took one match out of 5 and got close the other 4. I left knowing Im an honest threat to great players (even though he doesn't do smash 4 too much). I got sent to losers by a local legend, CalmAnimal. I lost my tournament stock to his training partner Steven. I later find out it took ZeRo and i think Ally to eliminate CalmAnimal from Low Teir City 4. It's a wonderful feeling to know i fought these great players (Calm and Oracle)so i can gauge how good i am at the game. And, in case it isn't obvious, you leave a tournament with a story to tell. You can tell all your friends how well you did against great players and what character won grand finals. That's just something you don't get from For Glory ; all you get is a win rate you don't believe to be accurate due to laggy matches

Last edited:

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
I can agree. The real thing is too good. One thing i wound add is that you don't know who your facing online. In person, you can tell just how good your opponent is by talking to them and seeing how they place in the tourney; and you can tell how good your are by how well you do against them.

My first large scale tournament was a dream. The PM pro Oracle came and I asked if i could play a round of friendlies with him in smash 4. He agreed and i took one match out of 5 and got close the other 4. I left knowing Im an honest threat to great players (even though he doesn't do smash 4 too much). I got sent to losers by a local legend, CalmAnimal. I lost my tournament stock to his training partner Steven. I later find out it took ZeRo and i think Ally to eliminate CalmAnimal from Low Teir City 4. It's a wonderful feeling to know i fought these great players (Calm and Oracle)so i can gauge how good i am at the game. And, in case it isn't obvious, you leave a tournament with a story to tell. You can tell all your friends how well you did against great players and what character won grand finals. That's just something you don't get from For Glory ; all you get is a win rate you don't believe to be accurate due to laggy matches
I know that feeling. Around here in the DMV we have good players like Pink Fresh, Mister Eric and Boss. Two of the three I mentioned I got to play against in the locals we have around here. I fought Boss in a tournament set and lost to him, while Mister Eric I played in friendlies before I even knew who he was. It was fun to get to talk to them and I used it as a chance to get a feel for playing at a tournament level.

Sooner or later we all have to take the training wheels(Online/For Glory) off and do some real bike riding

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
offline da goat
online da goat too
just depends on access and mood

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I feel the same way. Went to my first local not too long ago and it was great. Offline, you got something to prove and you can see how far you can go against others in legitimate tournament settings. There's also just a lot more on the line, you got people watching you play, people will root for you, others against you. On top of that, you get tournament nerves, and if you can manage to turn those nerves into a fighting spirit, the feeling is absolutely amazing.

Granted, I went 0-2. Normally, I'd joke about how free I am as a result of that, but because I was able to turn tournament nerves into a fire and take every game to a last hit do or die situation, I proved to myself that I have a pretty good shot at doing decently well at my local if I frequent it. Ultimately, losing became a very enjoyable experience and the best part is it had me crave the feeling of an adrenaline rush like that again.

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
I feel the same way. Went to my first local not too long ago and it was great. Offline, you got something to prove and you can see how far you can go against others in legitimate tournament settings. There's also just a lot more on the line, you got people watching you play, people will root for you, others against you. On top of that, you get tournament nerves, and if you can manage to turn those nerves into a fighting spirit, the feeling is absolutely amazing.

Granted, I went 0-2. Normally, I'd joke about how free I am as a result of that, but because I was able to turn tournament nerves into a fire and take every game to a last hit do or die situation, I proved to myself that I have a pretty good shot at doing decently well at my local if I frequent it. Ultimately, losing became a very enjoyable experience and the best part is it had me crave the feeling of an adrenaline rush like that again.
True, there is something special about being in the moment. I went back to Xanadu last night and it felt good to see people who I hadn't seen for a while back again. We talked, played and had a good time. Something you can't get online. Online is nice for working on techs and getting in alot of fights in a short time. But it can't replace the "real" thing.

Top Bottom