• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One more time

mood4food77

Smash Hero
I'm bored and I have class soon, so I'm posting a team I used over the summer that did quite well. Here it goes:

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Intimidate / Jolly
242 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Brave Bird
Close Combat
Return
U-turn

Here's my Leadraptor. The HP EVs are to ensure that he is only 2HKO'd by any special attack. There are a few things that can get the OHKO but in general, he's 2HKO'd. And besides, he's got U-turn to deal damage and go to a team mate who is better suited for taking damage. As for how he works, he deals a ton of damage fast, giving my team momentum, similar to how a Machamp lead works. The 16 Spe EVs ensure that he outruns Aerodactyl leads, while he cannot defeat them, he can hit them with U-turn and go to another team mate. He's a pretty effective lead with options. If he survives past the incoming poke, he also can serve as another revenge killer for my team.

Synergy:
Electric: Celebi, Flygon
Ice: Infernape, Forretress
Rock: Flygon

Celebi @ Leftovers
Natural Cure / Bold
252 HP / 220 Def / 38 Spe
Grass Knot
Hidden Power Fire (67)
Recover
Thunder Wave

My team supporter. It's awesome, I must say. He can tank hits and spread Paralysis like no other. HP Fire is there so it's not walled by Scizor who like to come in and revenge kill him. It's only BP 67 because of optimal stats. He's awesome and adorable. He just works great with this team as he resists a lot of what my team is weak to.

Synergy:
Fire: Gyarados, Infernape, Flygon
Poison: Flygon, Forretress
Flying: None
Bug: Staraptor, Gyarados, Infernape, Forretress
Ghost: Staraptor, Forretress
Dark: Infernape, Forretress

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate / Adamant
156 HP / 74 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
Dragon Dance
Taunt
Waterfall
Stone Edge

Bulky DD Gyarados is the other half of my defensive core. He is also one half of my anti-stall. Taunt stops from opposing teams setting up on my pokes and it does force a lot of switches. The rest is obvious though, set up a DD and hit everything hard.

Synergy:
Electric: Celebi, Flygon
Rock: Flygon

Infernape @ Life Orb
Blaze / Naive
66 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Nasty Plot
Close Combat
Fire Blast
Grass Knot

The old NP Mixape set. He completes the FWG core and since two of the pokes in that core are defensive, the third doesn't need to be, hence the picking of Infernape. He is the wall breaker and the other half of anti-stall. Pretty straight forward though, come in on something stupid, NP up and sweep. Grass Knot is so Swampert doesn't own my life (who other wise, does a good job of stopping my team). Simply put, he's the core of my offense and needs every opportunity he can get.

Synergy:
Water: Celebi, Gyarados
Ground: Staraptor, Celebi, Gyarados, Flygon
Flying: None
Psychic: Celebi, Forretress

FLygon @ Choice Scarf
Levitate / Jolly
252 Spe / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Outrage
U-turn
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

Flygon has great synergy with my team and doubles over as a revenge killer. His power is somewhat lack luster but the synergy is important here, since he is my only resist to Rock attacks. Being able to come in and net the KO is awesome as it really screws with the opponents team synergy.

Synergy:
Dragon: Forretress

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sturdy / Relaxed
252 HP / 114 Atk / 144 Def
0 Spe IV
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Payback
Explosion

My Spinner and the complimentary piece to beating stall. He gets rid of any entry hazards and can set up SR. He has no other role other than to support the team. Once he has done his job, he is free to explode. He has Payback as a way of scaring off Rotom-A who like to switch in. Getting rid of the entry hazards was an immense help for this team as it had problems with extreme stall teams.

Synergy:
Fire: Gyarados, Infernape, Flygon

General Problems:
My team lacks a rock resistant Pokemon, which is problematic because of the presence of Stealth Rock. While Forretress does a great job at removing rocks, you can never rely on it. This problem is fixed when Flygon is on the team but he just wasn't strong enough for my liking but in the long run, it may be more beneficial to have him. I'll do some more testing with it.

Also, my team lacks an Ice attack outside of Jolteon's HP Ice, which isn't very strong. This causes problems when dealing with Flygon, Dragonite, and other Flyers. I could always run Infernape with HP Ice but Grass Knot is much better at dealing with stall teams (especially Hippowdon) that it's too invaluable for my team.

Threats:
Gengar: He's faster than my entire team outside of Jolteon and Staraptor and that's only counting the non-Scarf variants. He has awesome type coverage which can hit everyone but Infernape and Jolteon for SE damage, but their problem is that they aren't very defensive Pokemon and take a pretty hefty chunk from Gengar's Shadow Ball.

Gyarados: If it's a Jolly DD Gyarados, he causes a lot of problems. The other variants are easily disposed of with Jolteon, Celebi, and Forretress but the Jolly ones outrun both Staraptor and Jolteon after 1 DD. To make it worse, Gyarados is better at taking physical hits than special attacks so using Flygon here isn't an easy fix.

Azelf: Attack variants of Azelf have given me trouble, thankfully they are not very common. It doesn't help that offensive Azelfs usually carry Fire Blast and Thunderbolt, so using Gyarados and Celebi to tank hits makes this job much tougher.

Heatran: Scarftran ruins me. Outrunning everything and having awesome bulk so it's not OHKO'd by Staraptor's Close Combat is a problem. I might increase Staraptor's Spe EVs just so it outruns Heatran and can finish off weakened ones. It will help but it doesn't solve the problem. I have Gyarados but Scarftran likes to come out late game, when Gyarados is weakened enough so that Heatran's Fire Blast nabs the KO.

Starmie: It's fast and it hits hard. I think every team one makes will have this problem but Celebi does a good job at keeping it away. My main problem is that once Celebi is gone, it pretty much ***** everything on my team. Scarf variants can be played around with but are still tough.

Rotom-A: It's more like, spin blocking in general as both Gengar and Rotom-A give me troubles. Scarf Rotom-h is the biggest problem out of all the forms. It basically ***** my team and most of my team really dislikes holding Choice Scarf.

This is my latest team and it's done me some good. As usual, any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your time.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
1. Why does Forretress have Stealth Rock instead of Spikes?
2. Give Forretress Payback, somewhere, somehow.

Scarf Flygon or Starmie could work well on your team. Gyarados is KOed by Stone Edge / Thunderbolt, Heatran with Earthquake / Surf / Hydro Pump, Starmie with Outrage / Thunderbolt. Azelf and Gengar have pretty crappy defenses.

Using Gyarados as a defensive Pokémon without Rest is silly.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Bulky DDGyara is amazing wave.

What are you smoking.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm smoking some RestTalk Gyarados.

It's awesome, maaannn

mood4food77

Smash Hero
cause the team doesn't really need the spike

and i'll give him payback, i forgot about that option, thanks

and i'll give scarf flygon a go again as it probably has better synergy with my team anyways

and bulky DD gyarados is awesome, it completely ***** stall teams

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I love how you didn't mention the threat of DDTar at all. I mean you can get past it, but not without sacing Gyarados and getting Celebi severely damaged.

Assuming Staraptor is dead of course.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, using your lead to counter something is very unreliable unless it's Swampert.

| Tyranitar | Move | Dragon Dance | 28.9 |

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
It wouldn't be so bad, but he pretty much loses to the standard DDTar set. And don't even get me started on the random and ******** Lum variants you might find (trust me, they do exist...however random and rare). What makes those variants so threatening is that you're in a complete lose-lose with Celebi, so it can just get another DD right in your face and then voila, your opponent is still at +1 and it now outpaces Jolteon. And if your opponent has SR up, everything is dead on your team. Without? Forry and Celebi barely live through Fire Punch and Crunch, respectively.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i haven't had problems with ttar at all that's why

he has a tough time switching in to a lot of my team, celebi 2HKOs them, infernape and staraptor OHKO them, gyarados hits with a hefty chunk, and then forretress can deal a good amount of damage with gyro ball

once he sets up a DD i have troubles but i have yet to let someone do that against me as he can barely switch-in in the first place

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
i haven't had problems with ttar at all that's why

he has a tough time switching in to a lot of my team, celebi 2HKOs them, infernape and staraptor OHKO them, gyarados hits with a hefty chunk, and then forretress can deal a good amount of damage with gyro ball

once he sets up a DD i have troubles but i have yet to let someone do that against me as he can barely switch-in in the first place
They come in on Jolteon, obv. The people you've been facing are clearly doing it wrong.

I like Flygon for your team more than Jolteon. Not gonna lie. I'm not entirely sure why though.

EDIT: Jirachi probably isn't optimal for the revege killer spot, but you can try it too.

EDIT2: **** the Jirachi idea. I'm dumb. Run ThunderPunch in Flygon's filler spot and the Gyarados problem is solved.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i've yet to lose to a team with any sort of ttar

but i think i will run scarfgon instead of jolteon

mood4food77

Smash Hero
changed the team and now with flygon, it's much better and pretty much checks everything

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Forretress needs Payback instead of Gyro Ball to scare off Rotom-A.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
haha, forrey is pretty much there so i can get rid of spikes but i did replace gyro ball with payback

also, i lack a flying resist but i don't think it's that much of a problem

on pokemon lab, i can't use any of the punches...which is odd

Top Bottom