• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Grab = Stock? or something

MrKidneyShiv

Smash Rookie
Poor Ice Climbers. In both Melee and Brawl they struck fear into opponents with the "Don't get grabbed" mentality. In PM, they see little to no play. Mostly because they're most noted infinites are, well, gone? You can't wobble in PM. Period. It's not possible. The Brawl Hand-offs are mostly gone. As far as I know, the slide that happens when you pivot from a stand still position is entirely intentional, as it prevents the Back throw hand-off from Brawl. I don't believe it's a bug. Despite this you can still do some Hand-off shenanigans. Currently, (if you didn't know) you can control where Nana throws by inputting the direction she would throw when she grabs. (it might be shortly before as well, idk i just hold it)

For Example,
If I down throw as Popo and re grab with Nana in the middle of the stage, she throws up. Which is useless for regrabs. However, If you hold up when grabbing with Nana, she'll just hold on to the character you grabbed. You can pummel and control where she throws. In the middle of the stage, she won't down throw. If you try, she will up throw. At the edges of the stage you can get her to throw any direction, although I haven't tried up (for obvious reasons).

With the small amount of control you can have, It is currently possible to 0 - death chain grab the entire cast with Down throws and Forward throws. The only issue with that is that down throw is currently weight specific for each character. Meaning you would have to memorize timing for the entire cast of PM. That is super cheesy and takes away from the rest of their moveset. It puts heavy focus on grab game, which yeah they are the climbers it's what they do, but it takes away from the fact that with a couple of hammer hits they can put on some ridiculous damage.

With all these possibilities, I'm stuck wondering what the PMdev team will do to them. Personally, I think they are absolutely fine the way they are and people just don't play them enough. I like the pivot slide. It gives you really confusing movement when paired with Ice Climbers' excellent wavedash. The amount of grab control should stay in my opinion. It gives a different mechanic to master in Project M and an entirely different playstyle from the rest of the cast.

If you plan on or are currently maining Ice Climbers, or Making them a secondary or pocket or whatever, I recommend you Don't focus too much on grab game at the moment, as we don't know what the dev team will do to it. There are two of them. Use them to the best of their ability. Desyncs are amazing and quite stylish. Fsmash is kinda busted. Really strong. Nana knows how to recover. Use PM tech. Footstool out of grabs and regrab with the other climber (it's possible). Idk just play Ice Climbers.

What do you think will be done? Should be done? Questions? Comments? Concerns? Ideas? Let's get them going.

MrKidneyShiv

Smash Rookie
How would the infinite be taken out? What can be done? Remove Nana's ability to throw any direction but up? Remove Nana's grab completely? as long as she can forward throw or really throw in general, they'll be some form of infinite.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
If that's true they should definitely be buffed in some other way.
limbers don't need to be buffed much at all they just need to be fixed, the nana ai could be slightly better but they're actually a pretty solid character

How would the infinite be taken out? What can be done? Remove Nana's ability to throw any direction but up? Remove Nana's grab completely? as long as she can forward throw or really throw in general, they'll be some form of infinite.
i'm pretty sure they're just gonna make it so u can't just hold up to make nana not throw, they backthrow and maybe forward throw? when a certain distance from the ledge but i don't think that's enough to make it an infinite as i don't think there's enough room for continuous back/forward throws

MrKidneyShiv

Smash Rookie
On the bigger characters of the cast (char, ddd, bowser and DK) you can do standing down throw forward throw. You don't have to step forward to get the regrab with Popo. As long as Nana can forward throw, it'll be enough for a grab to turn into a stock for a lot, if not all, of the heavier characters. I believe it also works on Samus, Falcon, and Ganon but I'm not 100 percent sure. If they take out the control of Nana with the direction buffer it would take out a lot of possibilities as there aren't as many follow-ups outside of DI chase aerials.

As far as the Nana AI, It knows how to recover and prioritizes getting back to control range, which is really all it should do. There is an issue with the out of sync Up-B. Sometimes when you get hit off stage and go for the Up Special both the climbers do the animation of the failed Belay and it sucks. Up-B should always re-sync.

But like I said, If Nana can Forward throw, Infinites inbound.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
yea i'm not sure about fthrow tho so that's kinda up in the air at the moment.

u can just manually resynch out of tumble but it is pretty dumb

MrKidneyShiv

Smash Rookie
The Up special issue is mainly after getting meteored for me ;-; Idk about Fthrow either. we'll see if 3.6 does anything major

Top Bottom