• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Once upon a time, there lived a team

Voodoo Gabite

Smash Rookie
I've recently retired this team, so I submit it to you guys for rating. I Copy+Pasted this from Smogon but it doesn't make much of a difference anyway, I'm still getting rates right? =)

Team at a glance:

As you can see here, this is a bulky offensive team that switches around with resistances and abilities to deal with threats.

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/8 Def/96 SDef
IVs: 31 HP/31 Attack/31 Def/1 Speed/31 SAtk/31 SpD (Hidden Power Dark 64)
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

LumZong is a great lead, taking status then hitting back with a Hypnosis of its own. It sets up Stealth Rock which aids massively in ensuring a sweep from one of my sweepers.

Hypnosis, Gyro Ball and Stealth Rock are self-explanatory, Explosion is for a last resort on dangerous sweepers like Garchomp.

The extra speed is for catching other Bronzong and beating them to the punch with Hypnosis.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 32 HP/224 Spd/252 SAtk
IVs: 31 HP/22 Atk/30 Def/31 Spe/31 SAtk/31 SpD (Hidden Power [Ice] 70)
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse / Explosion

ScarfHeatran, having a great typing and ability and Choice Scarf lets it function as a revenge-killer of sorts, and works together with my next pokemon to stop SDLucario sweeping.

Timid 224 Speed is for outrunning Weavile and the base 130 crew. I'm having difficulty deciding on the last slot - Explosion wouldn't be hurting much with a negative Attack nature and 22 Attack IVs, Dragon Pulse gives better coverage. Dragon Pulse cannot go over HP [Ice] as it fails to get the KO on Dragons.

Salamence (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 6 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Brick Break

Ah, Mixmence. An absolute beast firing off STAB Life Orbed Draco Meteors.

Salamence and Intimidate, coupled with its Fighting and Bug resistance allow it to come in on Heracross and Lucario most of the time. Roost heals Life orb recoil damage and helps keep Salamence in shape to switchin to Hera/Luke.

Heatran resists both SD Lucario's priority moves - Extremespeed and Bullet Punch. If Salamence comes in on a Swords Dance Lucario will most of the time Extremespeed shaving off near 60%, but Heatran comes into play downing Lucario easily.

With Roost, Salamence can wall several weak threats due to its nice resistances, a notable example would be Surf/HP Electric Vaporeon.

Rash is used so as not to sacrifice valuable defence which aids a lot in countering Heracross and SDLucario, while not decreasing the Attack allowing Brick Break to still 2HKO special walls.
With the advent of Calm 252 Def/80 SpA/176 SpD being the preferred Blissey spread Salamence doesn't need to run as much attack, and I generally find it more useful to invest it all in Speed which would help with Speed Ties between other base 100 pokemon.

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
IVs: 31 HP/31 Atk/31 Def/31 Spe/30 SAtk/31 SDef (Hidden Power [Electric] 70)
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Roar

Vaporeon, Wishpasser, Mixape and Gyarados counter in one.

Vaporeon basically passes Wish around which gives my whole team recovery to tank hits better. Surf and HP Electric gives coverage allowing Vaporeon to counter Gyarados and Infernape.

The 68 SAtk EVs listed in the analysis were mainly for OHKOing Garchomp, so I went ahead and invested the EVs into HP since I don't run Ice Beam.

Roar is for Ninjask mostly, as my team can't afford to have Ninjask passing around SDs and Speed Boosts.

Snorlax (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Return

Choice Band Snorlax serves as a special tank of sorts while dishing out heavy damage. Pursuit catches frail Psychics/Ghosts on the switchout and OHKOs them.

Return > Body Slam as I haven't found the paralysis rate helpful, while the extra power from Return helps in more situations. The rest of the moves are for coverage.

Immunity > Thick Fat, as my team has 3 Fire resists and 1 Fire immunity, that are perfectly capable of handling the various Fire-type sweepers. Ice is commonly used as a secondary attack in OU for Dragons, the common users (Starmie, Vaporeon etc.) would hurt Snorlax harder with Surf.
Not being affected by Toxic or Toxic Spikes is great as it gives Snorlax a boost to its walling capabilities.

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Life Orb Dragon Dance Gyarados is a monster, demolishing many threats and walls along the way. Gyarados also has a great ability and typing which allow it to tank many hits, and subsequently earn a turn of free setup.

The EVs are the minimum to outspeed Starmie after a Dragon Dance at which point Stone Edge scores a likely KO with Stealth Rock up, if not Snorlax can come into Starmie and Pursuit it leaving Gyarados to sweep unhindered.

Ice Fang does ~50% to Celebi meaning that LO Gyarados can beat Celebi one-on-one, as long as it isn't carrying Reflect or Thunderwave.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and feel free to suggest any fixes!

Tortured_Soul

Smash Rookie
*throws up at above comment*

As with all teams, this has a Metang @ weak. Please remove that weakness before I rate again. kthnxbai.

Voodoo Gabite

Smash Rookie
*throws up at standardness*
Yes, we all despise using the same Blissey over and over, but do you see why they are used? They are used for a reason, because they're good. While you may use your "original" Unown, you will lose many times in a row because you refuse to use the actual usable Pokemon.

Tortured_Soul

Smash Rookie
Mawile is pwn in UU. I swept teams with it, Intimidate Mawile will take over the world, and you can do nothing about it.

Oh, and Sunflora for OU.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Lovely, I'm sure you enjoy using **** Pokemon.
Yup, sure as hell do!

Anyways, the reason I hate this team is that it has no personality. Whatsoever. It's like you just took the most OU Pokemon with the most OU sets (Minus the Mixmence). Of course, it isn't a bad team, just a boring team.

Ugh, it's been so long since I've been on Shoddy...

Yeah, I have no advice.

EDIT: You seem to be trying to counter the standards with standard movesets. Experiment a bit, think outside of the box.

Tortured_Soul

Smash Rookie
So what you're saying is...you're hopeless at pokemon, and because you can't see a problem, you counter with a vomit quote? Interesting, I may try that...if I ever become as stupid as you. Maybe increasing my doses of Riddlin would suffice? Off to experiment!

KTC

Smash Rookie
Yup, sure as hell do!

Anyways, the reason I hate this team is that it has no personality. Whatsoever. It's like you just took the most OU Pokemon with the most OU sets (Minus the Mixmence). Of course, it isn't a bad team, just a boring team.

Ugh, it's been so long since I've been on Shoddy...

Yeah, I have no advice.

EDIT: You seem to be trying to counter the standards with standard movesets. Experiment a bit, think outside of the box.
Personality? Are you going to date and **** this team? No, and just because they are standard doesn't mean it's not constructed well. It has great offensive and defensive prowess.

Being boring means **** by the way.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Just one thing, wouldn't it make more sense to have a +SpAtk -Def nature(to lazy to remember which one that is) on MixMence? With intimidate you soften the blow anyways and that way you won't be totally destroyed in one hit by random HP Ice(although its highly likely anyways >_>)

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Just so you guys know... these RMTs are getting reeeeaaally boring. I rate almost every team on this board since I first came here. So far, Ilovecelebi208 and ss118 are the main players making creative teams. If a team is almost completely standard, it makes it boring. If your sets are all standard, we already know what they can do and why they're good. Creativity is what keeps RMTs alive.

POKEMON MILLIP 1988

Smash Rookie
just So You Guys Know... These Rmts Are Getting Reeeeaaally Boring. I Rate Almost Every Team On This Board Since I First Came Here. So Far, Ilovecelebi208 And Ss118 Are The Main Players Making Creative Teams. If A Team Is Almost Completely Standard, It Makes It Boring. If Your Sets Are All Standard, We Already Know What They Can Do And Why They're Good. Creativity Is What Keeps Rmts Alive.
Oh Sure Letz All B Cretive N Add Wynaut 2 Our Teemz !!

Mr.Postman

Smash Cadet
Just one thing, wouldn't it make more sense to have a +SpAtk -Def nature(to lazy to remember which one that is) on MixMence? With intimidate you soften the blow anyways and that way you won't be totally destroyed in one hit by random HP Ice(although its highly likely anyways >_>)
Actually SpAtk - SpDef because Salamence cant take a Ice Beam anyways

Mr.Postman

Smash Cadet
Im tired :(
I dont wanna do another noob fight

nob
nob
nob
nob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nobnob
nob
nob
nob

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Personality? Are you going to date and **** this team? No, and just because they are standard doesn't mean it's not constructed well. It has great offensive and defensive prowess.

Being boring means **** by the way.
So what you're saying is...you're hopeless at pokemon, and because you can't see a problem, you counter with a vomit quote? Interesting, I may try that...if I ever become as stupid as you. Maybe increasing my doses of Riddlin would suffice? Off to experiment!
Oh Sure Letz All B Cretive N Add Wynaut 2 Our Teemz !!
....BAAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!! This is hilarious!

At first I was just annoyed at you guys for being Pokenewbies who use the 'good' Pokemon, and think they're something special because they can beat the other robot teams. But now, I see you're probably just a bunch of 13 year old kids who think they're tough by playing Pokemon!

And FS Wynaut is viable for teams.

Tortured_Soul

Smash Rookie
No....14.

Wynaut is NU ******, it's so similar to Wobbuffet that the only reason it also isn't Uber is because of it's lower stat base, but in UU, where the BST belongs, Wynaut would dominate similar to Wobbuffet in OU.

It's banned from both OU and UU for that reason, although it wouldn't be as effective as Wobbuffet, it would still cause too many headaches.

~T_S

The Postman

Smash Rookie
....BAAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!! This is hilarious!

At first I was just annoyed at you guys for being Pokenewbies who use the 'good' Pokemon, and think they're something special because they can beat the other robot teams. But now, I see you're probably just a bunch of 13 year old kids who think they're tough by playing Pokemon!

And FS Wynaut is viable for teams.

At first I was lolwut at you guys for being Pokenewbie who use the "creative" Pokemon, and think they're something special because they are different from the other robot teams. But now, I see you're probably just a bunch of 10 year old kids who think they're good by playing with weaker pokemon.

See, there are these things called tiers. The reason we use these "good" Pokemon in the OU tier is because we would rather use a Pokemon that actually has good stats and move pool like Infernape instead of Arbok.
There is pretty much official tiers, ou and uu. Ubers is pretty much a ban for OU and BL is a ban for UU/NU. You and your "creative" buddys are always talking about these teams aren't creative enough and are using Pokemon too powerful. Your basically saying "send your babies out on the street at age 5!". If people wanted to use Hypno instead of Blissey they would not be playing in the OU metagame. If they wanted to use Claydol instead of Forretress they would not be playing in the OU metagame. If they wanted to use Vespiqueen instead of Cresselia they would not be playing in the OU metagame. BUT If they wanted to use Gyarados, Weavile, Azelf, and Heatran instead of Sharpedo, Primape, Jynx and Vileplume they would actually have a chance to survive those other "robot" teams.
Now lets talk about your movesets. "Oh don't use that, thats standard and they already expect that." MAYBE ITS STANDARD FOR A REASON?! Oh lets use Natural Gift on Azelf because they will never expect a weak attack that makes me use a berry that making not be able to use the Choice items, Life orb, or Focus sash. Certain Pokemon carry certain sets for certain reasons. Most Pokemon in the OU tier carry Ice moves because those are one of the strongest Pokemon there (Garchomp). Then we have those powerhouse fighting types using Close Combat everywhere hoping to get a kill on Blissey and Snorlax but get switched in on by Gliscor who runs Earthquake and Ice Fang or Aerial just so it can KO that Pokemon. Most people use Gliscor just to wall + KO fighting types. You probably wouldn't see a Gliscor using Night Slash to kill a Gengar or Alakazam because it will most likely get knocked out before it gets a chance. I could go on, and on, and on telling you why Pokemon run certain set but then you would probably say something retarted and blah blah blah.

Some parts might look out of place =/
I'm not as experienced as making large post as my fellow raters >_<

Everyone who called you and your friends noobs said:
Mr.Postman: Lets use Choice Scarf Special Snorlax because its creative and wont expect it
Tortured_Soul: let's use Choice Specs Garchomp
Tyranitar: Hay that, I'ma use Psycho Shift Honckrow
Tortured_Soul: Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse/Fire Blast/Surf
Tortured_Soul: lol
Mr.Postman: But first we have to use Bulky Ariados
Tyranitar: Scarf Bronzong
Tortured_Soul: Bulky Luvdisc >>> Bulky Ariados
Tortured_Soul: Scarf Shuckle

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Meaningless crap.
Did you even listen to what I said? I didn't say 'Don't use OUs,' I said 'Think outside of the box.' You can use standard Pokemon with your own movesets, you know. I once saw a CB Blissey that ***** Brelooms. Unorthadox? Yes. Situational? Extremely. But it ruled.

Mindgames are just as important to the game as anything else, you know.

boo836

Smash Cadet
In a castle, surrounded by a large solid bubble.
Did you even listen to what I said? I didn't say 'Don't use OUs,' I said 'Think outside of the box.' You can use standard Pokemon with your own movesets, you know. I once saw a CB Blissey that ***** Brelooms. Unorthadox? Yes. Situational? Extremely. But it ruled.

Mindgames are just as important to the game as anything else, you know.
That's just sad. WHO uses CB BLISS? (except me). Also, Post man is right, no one cares if you want them to be original, did the threadmaker want to be original? NO. He wanted his team to be rated, and not by someone who apparently does not know what their talking about.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Thats the thing, you cant rate a standard team, its pointless. It would be like me asking "How's this idea for a garchomp:

Garchomp@Yache Berry
Jolly/Sand Veil
252Atk/252Spe/4Hp
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

There's no need to ask if thats a good Garchomp or not, we KNOW its a good garchomp, theres nothing special about it so theres no reason to ask. Now if I were to post this instead

Garchomp@Leftover
Sassy/Sand Veil
252 Hp/200 Def/56 SpDef
-Roar
-Stealth Rocks
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake

Suddenly, a NOT standard pokemon appears and you have a reason to rate it. However, this team you have here is EXTREMELY standard, so there's really nothing to rate. Its nothing against the TC, but thats just the situation we're in.

boo836

Smash Cadet
In a castle, surrounded by a large solid bubble.
If you want a rate, then you don't make crappy sets, sure, some are creative, but they have to WORK too. Like for example, the SD loom I run is creative, sure, smogon has one, but I run double protection. Which I find somethimes handy.

However, That garchomp set that pink reaper is creative, but overall, no offence, but it isn't too good. For one, Sassy? You just hindered a very good stat for chomp, hiss speed. But what does it boost? Spdef? It won't last too many ice beams anyways. ANd draco meteor? Ewww. You screwed his dragon stab with a high powered move that brings down Spatt.

And besides, what does chomp have to make a mixed wall? Nothing but that lovely hp stat.

So stop saying too be creative with crappy sets as examples, cause I know you can come up with way better.

And to stay on topic, voodoo gabite, prehaps put rest over pursuit so you have a tank that can actually recover.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
However, That garchomp set that pink reaper is creative, but overall, no offence, but it isn't too good. For one, Sassy? You just hindered a very good stat for chomp, hiss speed. But what does it boost? Spdef? It won't last too many ice beams anyways. ANd draco meteor? Ewww. You screwed his dragon stab with a high powered move that brings down Spatt.
It was just an example, which doesn't mean anything.

Anyways, a good example of a creative-but-usable Pokemon is the Specsmence. At first it was a bit... Weird, but it quickly became a very viable set. There was a time on Shoddy I couldn't fight someone without meeting up with one of those things. Is it still popular? It's been so long since I've played Pokemon...

As Pink Reaper said, there isn't much torate.

The Postman

Smash Rookie
You can rate a standard team.
People on Pokemon Forums do, why can't you?
Smogon does, why can't you?
PC does, why can't you?
Even PFU does, WHY CAN'T YOU?

Rating doesn't mean you have to say "Change this to that".
It can be just a simple "You might want to watch out for DDGyara as it 2HKOs everyone on your team"
Or as a "I would change Alakazam for Mismagius as your lacking a fighting resist and your a tad on the fragile side".

And If you dont want them to be so Standard do this

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Timid
Psychic
HP Ice
Focus Blast
Grass Knot

to

Alakazam @ Leftovers
Timid
Psychic
HP Bug
Substitute/Encore
Calm Mind/Encore

And then just explain to them why you would suggest this set.
Dont just say "because its not standard" actually tell them situations.
Like you can switch in this on a Stat upper and use Taunt and then Sub.
If they bring in a pursuiter you can switch out safely because of Sub.
And If they bring in Weavile or Cresselia you can HP Bug.

PS: Don't give them crap like Natural Gift Azelf.

Top Bottom