• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

on a non 200% damage note

GREENLINKWORTHING

Smash Rookie
has anyone achieved the holy grail with link - 3 downward stabs in consecutive repetition during the same move? i think the programming only allows for 2 but feel free to tell me if otherwise!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Maybe not in a combo...or teching for that matter, but I think I've done it somewhere when my friend missed both of his techs.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
I don't think its possible with a single opponent. I'm relatively, but not entirely, sure I've hit three times, the first two times with one person and the third time moments before I z-cancelled and it happened to hit another person (in was an FFA).

But that could have been after I z-cancelled and daired already again, and I'm just slow today.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
isai did it against my falcon once on hyrule in that trap on the right side. he said he'd never seen it happen prior to that. gerry, i thought you were there when that happened?

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I've done it and had it done to me a few times, depends on if the person jumps into it and if they DI into it I think. I can't remember details except I've seen it done. :p

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
"Holy grail"?.. I've done that quite a few times. They obviously weren't in tournament matches, or even in matches where anyone DId regularly. :D

MattNF

Smash Lord
I've seen someone do it once, but it only works if the person doesn't tech out of it.

GREENLINKWORTHING

Smash Rookie
i called it the holy grail because its something i want to achieve at some point and as of yet havent managed to hit someone with three in succession... props to you who have... and was there any particular technique to it... or did it just sort of happen?

Thino

Smash Master
I faked it by dropping of a platform and dairing again but never directly , i think everyone did this at least once

ant-d

Smash Lord
According to frame data-

When Link's ADA hits there are only two hitbox instances. The same hitbox can only hit the opponent once when the character remains in the same state.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
does that mean his ada can only hit a maximum of 2 times, regardless same victim or different?

ant-d

Smash Lord
All things being equal, it should only be able to hit the same character twice.

All things being equal = opponent not teching, hitting a wall etc.

The same hitbox can only hit a character once. Otherwise almost all attacks would be multi hit...

'Almost all' because there are 1 frame hitbox attacks which still wouldn't hit more than once.

_kSo_

Smash Master
joe- i think when that happened, isai migh've z-canceled out of it really quickly on like a corner and then immediately do it again. same thing can be done with link's upb (except not z-cancel, you just slide off the edge) and then do it again to acheive a 2 hit combo.

ant-d - so even if the player hits the wall, they would not be able to be hit again? if so, i was probably completely wrong on the previous statement to joe...

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
no, there was no cancelling. i hit the wall at least once if i recall correctly, and i may not have teched. i only remember getting hit 3 times because i had never seen it before and i was surprised isai hadn't, either.

unless i'm completely fabricating a memory, which i find pretty far fetched. not like the pokemon though.

_kSo_

Smash Master
hah well that's your call. I'm just saying what I think of the situation based on the facts that I receive from ant-d (which i trust a lot because of his testing on the emulators with TAS)

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
@ ant-d: you said as long as the other guy's state doesn't change... so, for instance, if his state went from "hurt flying" or whatever (the state you can tech from) to the state where your character spins gently in midair and you can attack again, would a third hit be possible? Because the second hit is comparatively weak to the first, and the third is very weak. So I assume what happens is:

Hit 1: Hitbox one hits the other guy.

Hit 2: Hitbox two hits the other guy.

(other guy recovers from the sent-flying post-hit state)

Hit 3: Hitbox two hits again.

GREENLINKWORTHING

Smash Rookie
on a different note.... what do you online players think about the technique of locking players in? i.e. keeping a player stuck against the wall on the bottom right of hyrule.... link is one of the better players to keep a player locked in so you can build up there damage and finally send them miles

Thino

Smash Master
yea this is also know as the "**** tent" pretty much all chars have good combos there

*edit* also avoid referring ourselves as "online players" as some of us dont play online exclusively

malva00

Smash Master
all you gotta do is DI out before you get a lot of damage from it

thino he's talking about doing the repeating A attack

ant-d

Smash Lord
The simple answer is that it can hit three times.
But technically, the character changes state. Don't worry about character states, it's confusing and will be misleading if I try to explain it.

Top Bottom