• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni's Realm: Nidoking - Hyper Beam, Ice Beam & Toxic Added, see post for previews

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Well I've had an account here for awhile I figured it's about time I clone my KC:MM thread over to here to gather more feedback and response to my hacks. For Ares, Zeus or Thor you'll have to wait until the Brawl Vault is resurrected Sceptile is near completion, but for now my main focus is Nidoking over Bowser. I digress here is the current moveset:

(Model in screenshots is only temporary.)
(X/Y Model is being rigged by Tabuu, who has my eternal gratitude.)​

Playstyle: Nidoking is a heavyweight character being faster and more agile than Bowser but suffering many of the shortcomings. He lacks the weight Bowser had and the pure physical strength, though he can still bash enemies in close quarters. His specials focus on giving him attacks that provide range (Ice Beam/Thunder), recovery (Earth Launch/Rock Thrusters) and spacing (Earth Power/Earthquake). His ground attacks are quick and effective, dealing good damage and knockback without allowing opponents to easily punish Nidoking. His aerials also give him an edge though their hard to use due to his massive weight and falling rate.

Special Attributes:​
"Move Swap"- a concept controlled by his Up and Side taunts allowing you to switch out moves in the middle of battle and use a variation or completely different move. I incorporated this into Nidoking to give an edge to all playstyles Thunder and Nidoking's regular smash attacks are brutally strong though suffer from low range and speed, while his "Move Swapped" smash attacks offer more range and defensive capabilities at the cost of damage and knockback but allows you to instead focus on gimping recoveries and controlling the stage. Each move will be assigned to one of the taunts allowing you to mix and match them to your liking, the assignments are not finalized as for now I've simply coded them to the Up Taunt for testing purposes.

"Ground-Type"- When Nidoking lands normally (not from a special move) he cracks the ground and slightly pushes opponents away from him.

Here's the moveset (so far):

Neutral Special: Ice Beam, Nidoking quickly charges a ball of glowing energy and blue bolts shoot from the orb traveling a fair distance inflicting 7% ice damage and consistently freezing opponents. Does not suffer from too much startup or end lag.
(Move Switch to Thunder): Nidoking charges electricity in his body before sending a massive, albeit slow bolt of lightning forward, the bolt deals 25% electrical damage and very weak forward knock back but suffers from heavy ending lag.
By pressing the joystick forward during the startup of Thunder/Ice Beam you activate: Horn Drill, Nidoking charges along the ground with its head lowered and horn covered in energy as long as the B-button is held with the horn doing a constant 1% every couple frames and randomly (about every 20 frames) inflicting strong forward knock back and 7% damage. Nidoking is also equip with immense amounts of super armor that protects it up to around 25% damage, it takes quite the move to overwhelm Horn Drill.

Side Special: Deleted still up for debate and suggestions on this one.

Up Special: Earth Launch (Grounded), Nidoking braces himself as a large pillar of earth erupts from the ground launching him into the air. The pillar is a spike that will toss opponents into the air while inflicting 8% damage.
(Aerial) Rock Thrusters: a maelstrom of swirling rock lifts Nidoking through the air with good horizontal range but only average vertical recovery.

Down Special: Earth Power, Nidoking charges power while glowing yellow, there are 3 charge levels each will emit a *ding* and a small blue flash around his eyes when they've been reached. The charge can be canceled and held, and then used at a later time. Once the B button is released from charging Nidoking will smash his hand into the ground causing large spikes of earth to erupt in front of him in a line. The charges determine how far it will travel at 1 charge it goes about a stage builder block, at 2 it goes around 2 SBBs and at 3 of course it travels 3 SBBs. The 1st set of spikes will deal 6% damage and weak knockback but buries grounded opponents, while the 2nd set simply deals 9% damage and medium knockback and the 3rd set deals 14% damage and strong knockback. With a Sheer Force point available the move is automatically fully charged and unleashes pillars of lave from beneath the stage.
(Air) Earthquake: In the air Nidoking will plunge downward dealing 6% damage and meteor smashing opponents then when it makes contact with the ground it will use Earthquake unleashing a wave of rock in both directions that buries opponents and inflicts 10% damage. Note that the wave can only hit grounded opponents.

Standard Attacks:

Neutral Combo: Shred, an almost identical version of Bowser's twofold claw swipes, simply because it allows for a good melee setup.

Upward Tilt: Poison Sting, Nidoking fires a large glowing purple spike from his horn dealing 7% poison/flower damage and medium upward knockback. It's short range functioning like one of Samus's Charge Shot custom moves and it'll look like this:

Forward Tilt: Fire/Ice/ThunderPunch, Nidoking throws a quick right hook that has a 33% chance of being either Fire, Ice or Thunder Punch. The flame version deals 6% and medium-strong knockback, the ice version freezes opponents but doesn't knock them back very far with 10% damage, and the thunder version paralyzes the opponent very briefly before sending them flying with 8% damage and medium knockback. (This move may change to Poison Jab.)

Downward Tilt: Tail Whip, Nidoking whips his tail in front of him tripping any grounded opponents and dealing 4% damage, good range with the tail.

Dash Attack: Double Kick, Nidoking takes a step then leaps kicking with his right foot before slamming opponents with his tail, the kick deals 5% damage and no knockback by pulling you into the tail attack with thumps opponents with 9% damage and strong knockback.

Aerials:

Neutral Aerial: ???

Forward Aerial: Shadow Claw, Nidoking's right hand becomes enveloped in a dark aura that forms a set of claws and he befores a forward slash dealing 7% darkness damage and medium forward knockback.

Upward Aerial: ???

Backward Aerial: Poison Tail, Nidoking flashes purple before doing a quick twist and reaching backward with his tail which slams enemies with 8% poison damage and medium backward knockback.

Downward Aerial: Drill Rush, Nidoking starts up Horn Drill and plummets downward, the sweetspot of the attack is the horn which will drag enemies with it dealing 3% damage per second in the air and upon impact with the ground 7% damage and buries opponents, Nidoking suffers very long lag pulling his horn from the ground.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: Megahorn, Nidoking's horn glows and enlarges before it slices the air with it dealing 13% damage and strong upward knock back.
Move Swap to Shard Storm: Nidoking unleashes a torrent of small rock shards from his mouth, reaches a good 2 stage builder blocks above him, and can deal damage from 1%-20% depending on how long enemies are caught in the line of fire. The downside is that the shards are very easy to DI out of once hit so most opponents will escape with only around 5-8% damage, all the same it makes an excellent tool for repelling aerial assaults and juggling opponents.

Forward Smash: Mega Punch, Nidoking throws a punch imbued with glowing energy that deals 17% damage and powerful forward knockback. If the punch connects a blast of air is generated from the immense force of the impact flinging nearby enemies and items away.
(Move Swap to Surf): Nidoking charges a sphere of water in his palm before slamming it into the ground unleashing a large wave that pushes opponents away with tremendous force but no damage.

Down Smash: Iron Tail, Nidoking uses its tail to slam down behind it burying opponents and dealing 12% damage before swiping in front of it dealing strong forward knock back and 15% damage.
(Move Swap to Stone Edge): Nidoking rips 4 large stones from the ground which orbit around him once before flying off in separate directions. The stones deal 3% damage and very weak knock back while they're orbiting and 9% damage and weak knock back when they're actually thrown.

Grabs:

Pummel: Nidoking slams the enemy with his tail dealing 7% damage but takes a while to complete the attack

Forward Throw: Nidoking smashes the enemy into the ground in front of him then behind him (Like Hulk vs Loki) then tosses him forward. Each smash does 5% damage (grippy flags) and the throw at the end does 5% as well.

Upward Throw: Nidoking tosses the opponent up and then intercepts them with a Horn Drill dealing 1% damage at a ridiculous pace (adds up to 13%) before the opponent is flung upwards off his horn.

Downward Throw: (Superpower) Nidoking punches the enemy diagonally into the ground sending them flying through the earth for a short distance before getting knocked out with medium knock back.

Sheer Force Counter: Every time you use Down Taunt and complete it successfully you activate Nidoking's Sheer Force ability. This augments the next 2 grounded moves you use that are physical (includes: Mega Punch, Megahorn, Iron Tail, etc.)

Final Smash: ???

Last edited:

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Please post your thoughts and suggestions for moves you'd like to see further incorporated into the moveset.

Preview:

Thunder:

Horn Drill:

Earth Power( All 3 charge levels and lava version):

Earth Launch:

Mega Punch:

Surf:

Stone Edge:

-Omni

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
This is definitely the most thought out moveset I've ever seen. I have high hopes for Nidoking in the end!

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Hoping the model gets done in time for me to tinker with everything bone edit wise, because otherwise I'll release this when my time is up and it'll be up to the downloaders to find the new model to use with it. Pretty sure that won't happen though, anyways previews are updated working on a new lava splash model I think I'll replace Shard Storm with an eruption-like move, or a rock missile thats volatile and will explode on contact.

Just noticed that the aerials and grounded attacks are missing from the moveset description, my only copy of those moves was on KC:MM so I'll have to find a way to get those move descriptions. Need move suggestions for Side-B I'm leaning towards Toxic as a cloud of smog that pours out of Nidoking's mouth and does continuous poison damage.
-Omni

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Well if u don't remember what u had on KC:MM, u had double kick as Nidokings dash attack and ya I think toxic would work as a side B

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
This moveset looks really fleshed out!
I like the concept of a faster, heavy-weight character.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Sorry about not being able to rig up Nidoking.

I was able to send Tabuu the work that I had been able to finish, but I don't know if he was able to download it before KCMM went down.

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
@ AceGamer AceGamer I remember the names of the attacks but I need the exact descriptions as well.

@ Warzenschwein Warzenschwein I'm glad you enjoyed the layout and previews hopefully I'll be ready for beta testers in a week maybe two.

@ drogoth232 drogoth232 No worries, I have complete faith in Tabuu he'll spend time on the details and make it great.

To everyone reading this thread that has read the moveset: if you have any idea for a new move you'd like to see in the moveset post the idea in a reply I want to hear what everyone has to say!
-Omni

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Nidoking's weakness is fairly obvious although I didn't state it explicitly it's quite clear when you read between the lines. His attacks are either to slow or cancel with quick projectiles, he can't constantly keep having his movements and attacks interrupted it makes him very ineffective meanwhile he's taking damage. Stone Edge provides a good defense to constantly block projectiles, but eventually one will get through especially if you try to stop spamming Stone Edge every time it clangs. This makes Pit, Toon Link, Lucas, Pikachu, Falco and Sheik all devastatingly effective in slowing Nidoking down while accumulating damage.

A secondary weakness I've observed during testing is that any opponent with the ability to absorb projectiles is at a massive advantage, this makes two of Nidoking's unique and effective moves at dealing damage (Thunder & Ice Beam) ridiculously counterproductive as instead of creating space and dealing large amounts of damage the opponents are actually healing the damage. The above is taking Ness and Lucas into consideration, in the case of Mr. Game & Watch he cant actually use Oil Panic to collect three Thunder's or Ice Beams, but for arguments sake lets go with the Thunders that's 25% times 3 which comes out to 75% that kind of an attack is absurdly powerful and a game changer in its own right.

Taking all of this into account Nidoking players must be cautious and aware of what their opponents can do, I've built Nidoking so he can escape projectile spamming with Earth Launch and Rock Thrusters and punish with Earthquake. That's just one example of the route players can follow to triumph over his weakness, and there are others but I want to leave enough mystery for players to create their own solutions to these problems.
-Omni

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this looks interesting. I look forward to seeing this completed.

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Still looking for any Side-B suggestions you guys have! Looking at giving Nidoking a handful of moves that he can use as "super moves" with his Sheer Force points.
-Omni

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Still looking for any Side-B suggestions you guys have! Looking at giving Nidoking a handful of moves that he can use as "super moves" with his Sheer Force points.
-Omni
What's horn drill mapped to? I thought it was gonna be his side b... If it were me I'd put either HD or the three elemental punches on there.

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
The punches will be chance-based on the side tilt, Horn Drill is mapped as a move you can use out of the grounded Side-B because Bowser's Side-B is hardcoded where tap vs tilt negates TransN movement thus causing Horn Drill to glitch. On N-B it works perfectly, it's all the fun of using Horn Drill without those stupid glitches. I'm trying to give him a move that can be used strategically that's why I'm pretty on board for Toxic I might make a mock-up of the attack and test it out.

So Nidoking's Super Moves will be as follows:

Fissure: Rips the ground asunder and any opponents caught in it take high upward knockback and 20% damage but not a OHKO. (Cost 5 Sheer Force Points)

Eruption: Nidoking slams the ground unleashing a river of lava onto the stage dealing 10% damage and strong forward knockback, this move is great for securing kills it presents a challenge to enemies in its own right. (Cost 5 Sheer Force Points)

Hyper Beam: Nidoking quickly charges energy before leaping into the air and sweeping the ground with a beam of concussive energy, causing explosions on the ground as it moves across the ground. The beam deals high damage (15-25%) but weak knockback while the explosions inflict the inverse with low damage (3-6%) and high forward knockback. (Cost 10 Sheer Force Points)

I'm also changing the mechanic for accumulating Sheer Force Points, instead of using a taunt I'm going to have you gain points through landing hits with certain attacks to fill up the Sheer Force Meter.
-Omni

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even trying to be a kiss*** but I love all your ideas, especially hyper beam haha. The side tilt punches in a great idea too.

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Lol thanks DarkSamusLives I'm glad I'm getting some pleasant reception on some of these ideas because too often I feel as though I might be trying to make too much of a stretch with these moves!
-Omni

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Personally, I'd want any random animation to look like Nidoking's roar/jump animation from Pokémon Stadium.

Just me, though.

Last edited:

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
I think I can make that happen I was looking for an animation to use for one of Nidoking's other lava moves and that just might work! Got some brand new models rigged up that look as realistic as I think I could make anything look in-game I think everyone is going to enjoy them! Next week I'll be distributing a beta release so now I'm looking for testers.
-Omni

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I think I can make that happen I was looking for an animation to use for one of Nidoking's other lava moves and that just might work! Got some brand new models rigged up that look as realistic as I think I could make anything look in-game I think everyone is going to enjoy them! Next week I'll be distributing a beta release so now I'm looking for testers.
-Omni
Do we volunteer or do you look for testers? I kinda want to get my hands on him. I think I know pretty advanced smash concepts like mindgames and theory, and I can figure out how to use a character pretty quickly.

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Do we volunteer or do you look for testers? I kinda want to get my hands on him. I think I know pretty advanced smash concepts like mindgames and theory, and I can figure out how to use a character pretty quickly.
This is what I'm looking for from testers, absolutely you're hired. For future reference I expect interested playtesters to volunteer their services, now as far as the status of the current build is concerned I'm a bit farther off the mark than previously anticipated.

Nidoking is proceeding at a fair pace, however I'm still a bit concerned with a couple things. Attacks like Megahorn, Poison Sting, Iron Tail etc. have taken a backseat because they all need the finished model and I'm a perfectionist I want all hitboxes, graphics and model extremities to line up without any inconsistencies.

This is frustrating because the second the model is done progress will expand at an exponential rate and I'll be done in no time.

I'll be updating this post with some new previews in due time.
-Omni

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
So I finally decided to get enough motivation to upload some Nidoking previews, Tabuu is nearing the finishing stages of Nidoking's model, so for now the previews are with the vertex.

Here are the newly finished attacks:

Neutral-B: Ice Beam, the move swapped component of Thunder which instead of dealing significant damage (Thunder deals 25% :o ) has very quick startup speed and good range. The downside being that it only deals 2-4% damage and has weak set knockback, however the freeze time is just enough to annoy and slow opponents.

Side-B: Toxic, [Giga Impact was way to OP for a special move so I trashed it completely] Nidoking spews out poisonous fumes in front of his face which deal 4% poison damage every 10 frames for a second and a half, but no knockback or flinching. The cloud doesn't cover much area but when opponents suffer from lag or a status ailment, you can make the most of it and deal out some nasty damage (36% if all hits connect) and it's poison damage so on top of the direct damage it can continue to deal damage overtime. Benefits of the this attack also include that after the brief startup you can cancel into any move/movement you want, so you can chain Toxic into close-quarter combos to rack up more damage! Careful though as Toxic doesn't hinder enemies in the slightest so they can attack you straight through the cloud!

(Super Move): Hyper Beam, if you manage to beat up on the opponents nicely with your more powerful (harder to land) attacks then you might notice Nidoking starts glowing blue! While this is quite difficult to achieve, it's extremely rewarding now by pressing B on the ground Nidoking leaps into the air and unleashes a devastating Hyper Beam! The beam is swept a good distance across the ground from directly below Nidoking, and explosions follow the beam! The beam does a gnarly 25% paralysis damage and very weak knockback and can hit multiple times, while the explosions deal 5-6% fire damage and powerful forward knockback. It's quite possible to dodge the attack for opponents once they've seen it once but it's definitely tricky to avoid the entire attack.

Modeled the attack after this (Nido's version is nearly identical)

Note the first Hyper Beam preview shows the most complete texture for the beam!

New Mega Punch Shockwave!

Hope you all enjoy the previews Nidoking is nearly done! I'm still working on the two other Super Moves (Fissure & Eruption), but other than a few more moves and some tweaks for the model expect to see Nidoking on the Vault sooner than later!
-Omni

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Great stuff, especially Ice Beam looking like it did from Pokemon Stadium 2.

And 1 probably!

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Omniscient X said:
Alright here's some previews of Nidoking's final stages, huge thanks to Tabuu and Drogoth for making this model and rig possible!

He's nearing completion and beta testing WILL commence this weekend as a belated Christmas present to all the people willing to throw Bowser aside for a day and play as "The Drill" pokemon!
-Omni

Top Bottom