• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni Wants To Help You Overcome Your Tournament Jitters

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Everyone's experienced it. Some days, combos and mindgames come naturally, but at tournaments the very same techniques become difficult, putting normally talented competitors on tilt. It's frustrating, annoying, and often has very little to do with a player's abilities! This feeling is called tournament jitters - and as frustrating as they may be, there is a solution.

Guy likes to smile.

Smashboards Moderator and funny Smash guy Omni Omni has created a video to help players get over their nervousness and play to the best of their ability. Take a look and see if you can't get a few more wins at your next competition!

3 Steps To Overcoming Your Tournament Jitters
If you liked this, subscribe to Omni's YouTube channel for more.

Was this useful? Do you still get tournament jitters? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit likes to see some positivity rounding out the last day of 2014. Happy New Years! Follow him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
This is actually pretty useful to me. I've run into this problem several times even in tiny small scale tournaments I've been to. I'm definitely going to work on this stuff.

Choocheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
choocheese
Very helpful video. as a newer player with only a few tournaments under my belt, i plan to use some of these techniques

Klaxon

Smash Rookie
Eating a banana helps lower nervousness too and keeps you full. I do it all the time before music auditions

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
The way I personally get over my nervousness when I play is this:

- I keep a plushie of a red panda that my gf gave me for Christmas with me everywhere I go.
- I read the letter she wrote to me on that day also.
- I play NFS/Fast&Furious music in noise-cancelling earbuds when I play

That usually relaxes me better than anything else before I play, while also keeping me in the mood to keep up a tempo when I play.

Everyone has their own special way to deal with that kind of jitter. If you have something that you have an emotional tie to, that tends to help me the most.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I found myself chuckling at the punch of Extreme Scenario #1! XD

Anyways, I should probably review this video a couple times. Tournaments jitters severely limit my skill and I can apply a lot of this just playing at home.

42nd

Smash Cadet
I think we all experience this. We should just keep calm and REST.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff, I know if I ever hopped in tourney my heart would give out.
I sometimes get that feel just playing 4Glory. It sucks, and I know I can play better if I have my head on straight.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Has nothing to do with the article, but My Smash corner has done it again:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Sure, good tips, but Omni missed the root of the problem, I think.

Nervousness is one of the possible symptoms of pride. In that, one expects from themselves something more than what they see themselves doing in the near future, and become fearful of said failure. It is a poisonous perfectionism.
The other symptom is more obvious to most. Anger. Being on tilt. This is when one expects from themselves something more, and seeing that some obstacle is standing in the way of what performance they arrogantly believe they rightly deserve.

MMing often can get one used to success and failure when something precious is at stake, therefore they might become humble in their expectation of not attaining what they wrongly think they ought to have in things they deem even more worthy.

Having a Gary Oak is often humbling, either that or humiliating. The whole concept of humiliation is centered around destroying the pride of an individual via exposure of some flaw. But, as we all know, it can do more harm than good, making the prideful retreat further and become more angry. But, if one can get used to having someone beat them, and not care if it is their greatest enemy, they will lose their nervousness.

Edit: Accountability is usually good. If one only becomes upset with themselves for themselves because of themselves, this is an extremely good way to face the music and man up. But, it's not often the case, as people like to hide their shames away, and once they become accountable to others through humiliation in a setting with an audience they achieve the same effect. It can backfire, like the others. Voluntary accountability where one expects to expose their failings is the most humbling and least likely to blow up, so I like this suggestion the best.

Either way, humility brings peace, and peace destroys nervousness. With perfect humility is true release from any tournament jitters.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
0/10 for saying "always three steps ahead" without making a single Robin reference. :mad:

I'm joking, of course. This was quite informative.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
0/10 for saying "always three steps ahead" without making a single Robin reference. :mad:

I'm joking, of course. This was quite informative.
It was a Robin reference! But only to true Robin fans. Nice catch. :3

Wolfo

Smash Rookie
Omni is my spirit animal.

I absoutely loved this and the other video about improving... Couldn't help but keep smiling at the jokes. Also convinced me to try to get better.

Keep 'em coming, Omni!

Top Bottom