• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni Presents: Three Reasons Why You Should Pick A Top Tier

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Omni is back yet again with a vlog discussing Smash! Deciding a main in Smash is always a difficult thing to consider. Some players choose out of love of the character, others choose only the very best to win tournaments. Many people know Omni for some of the vlogs he has released including Diddy Is Innocent, Overcoming Tournament Jitters, Why Smash 4 Will Die, and others. This most recent vlog has him giving Smash players three reasons to pick a top tier. Give it a watch then tell us what you think in the comments below!​

SmashCapps hopes this gets people thinking on character choice. To keep up with all that he's up to follow him on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That's right, but for audience like us, it will get a bit dull if we keep seeing Fox vs Fox, ZSS vs ZSS for most of the time.
Picking top tiers will end up seeing the same MUs all over again....

If your favorite character is top tier, congrats. If isn't, don't completely abandon him/her. But you should still need to try out those top tier characters.

Last edited:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
Feels like an odd subject to make an entire video about. We, for the most part, already know why top tiers should be picked.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just play whoever is the most fun to you. Sometimes the best character is boring as ****, but playing the ****tiest character in the game isn't fun either cause losing over and over sucks. Find your middle ground. If you do choose to play garbage characters though, just don't john about them being ****ty all day. That's no fun for anyone.

Jupiter9099

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0748-3222-8455
Tiers don't matter when you've mastered a character.
Vex's Ganondorf.
Chudat's Kirby.
Wizzrobe's Sonic.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
That's right, but for audience like us, it will get dull if we keep seeing Fox vs Fox, ZSS vs ZSS for most of the time.
Melee has seen the same matchups for over a decade and no one cries. Either this is a Smash 4 issue or people just need to grow up.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
If you pick a character for the sake of character loyalty then congratulations: you've chosen literally the only incorrect rationale for playing a character. Play your favourite character regardless of viability. Play a top tier because you want to win, etc. These are acceptible reasons to play a character. If you play Wii Fit because "I'm a Wii Fit main til death XD!!!!1" and then complain when you lose to top tiers/complain about being crippled by the character you FEEL REQUIRED to play then you're screwing up. It's a video game. Your main is not part of your personal identity. People might know you as "that wii fit main" but understand you are under no obligation to actually play the character and pretending you are frankly makes you a scrub.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tiers don't matter when you've mastered a character.
Vex's Ganondorf.
Chudat's Kirby.
Wizzrobe's Sonic.
Genetic's Mario?
Also, if you're talking about Vexor, he is a good player indeed.

Tiers do matter however, a good Captain Falcon will almost always beat a good Olimar because Falcon is fast/strong, while also having tools for each situation.

The day they remove the "fast and strong" element on characters, and put balance over uniqueness, is the day when everyone becomes viable.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Genetic's Mario?
Also, if you're talking about Vexor, he is a good player indeed.

Tiers do matter however, a good Captain Falcon will almost always beat a good Olimar because Falcon is fast/strong, while also having tools for each situation.

The day they remove the "fast and strong" element on characters, and put balance over uniqueness, is the day when everyone becomes viable.
Wait, are you implying Olimar isn't high tier? Lmfao.

Baggy_

Smash Rookie
I hate this vid creativity keeps games fresh if everybody in melee mained fox the game would fade out and the game would be boring fast and not fun this guy obviously loves playing meta knight in brawl

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I play whoever the **** I wanna play as.
I decide based on whether or not I like this character.
A character's fighting potential plays no role in deciding my mains. It's how I use them that matters.
In general, Tier lists are for *******.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
A lot of these comments seem to be missing a key point from the video: the necessity of picking top tiers doesn't apply to you if you're not taking the game seriously. If you're just playing for fun, then it doesn't matter who you pick. Just choose whoever you find to be the most fun. If your goal is to win tournaments, then you should either pick a top tier, or a character you feel has the ability to compete with the top tiers (i.e. Melee Yoshi).

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
With so many characters, I feel like it's just a waste to limit yourself to a select few unless you're honestly serious about being competitive. These top players sometimes have paychecks riding on whether they can win or lose.
So, while I understand that mindset of choosing the character you think is best, I just don't think it's as entertaining when you have other options. Either way, you all need to stop arguing.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Oh yeah, they won a lot of majors
Where's your tournament experience to criticize them? >->

Edit: I know that you don't need tournament experience to criticize someone, but saying it in a tone like that isn't the way to go.

Last edited:

Grim!

Smash Cadet
and whats a top tier my best ssb4 is rosalina then ness then captain falcon then roy sonic zzs and last luigi for example is ness toptier or falcon or roy ??

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Melee has seen the same matchups for over a decade and no one cries. Either this is a Smash 4 issue or people just need to grow up.
Which is why watching Melee is extremely boring. Watching the same 5 characters duke it out for over 10 years has gotten very old.

Gero Zeal

Smash Cadet
Sure Top Tiers get the best result yes; I get that and I'm sure a majority of others do. But I'm sure a lot of those same people will agree that seeing the same character being used and praised for their skill and win rate over and over will get repetitive and boring.
How about seeing a Bowser win a big tournament? A Dan Hibiki main reaching winner's semis or loser's final's; what!?!?
I would say that players should have at least two mains that they could use, one being a top tier of course.
But enough with the same characters being at the top; have the other characters shine in the spotlight! Why bother have the other characters in the game if they are never used?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Well......
I can't play sheik for the life of me.
Luigi is easy but doesn't click.
Pikachu doesn't either.
Ness.....yeah I do second him but whatever.

My top 8 characters consist of:

Doc
Kirby
Lucina/Marth
Ness
Peach
Roy
Ganon
Lucario

NOT because these characters are good but because, well, they are good. For me. On my tier list of character this is how good they are for me (and Sheik is probably "bottom tier" but it'll never see tournament light so it won't matter). Everybody has their own internal tier list.

And yes, I do play competitive smash seriously.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
"Way not to be a TIER *****" made me laugh until I cried. Good video. And it's not wrong. -_-

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No one cries? Only minor I guess. It's awesome to see who is the best. But when using the same characters, it will get kind of... dull.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Which is why watching Melee is extremely boring. Watching the same 5 characters duke it out for over 10 years has gotten very old.
That's subjetive, I would rather watch the same characters than the same combos, and I think the majority of people agree with me considering that Melee gets more viewers fhan Smash 4 almost always. But whatevs, keep getting hyped for a F-Smash from an Ike I guess...

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I feel like this is implying that only casual scrubs will try to be serious with non-top tiers, or that non-top tier players should not exist in a serious competitive community

TheTwistedHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheTwistedHero
Its weird, because i dont even intentionally do this, but i always play characters who are really really good, not even intentionally

Vashimus

Smash Master
I say focus on playing a character you like, simply because it's much easier to spend time learning and beating people with a character you enjoy than one you don't, especially at the beginner level when tiers don't apply to you at all.

That being said, if you want to get anywhere towards improving at a game, you definitely should learn the top tier. Tier lists aren't objective statements of fact nor are they set in stone, but what they're good for is telling you what kinds of characters you need to understand and deal with to be a competent player at the game. This is especially true for games with incredibly rigid top tiers like Melee, where picking anything less than top 8-10 means you're losing at the character select screen.

Also, a lot of you vastly overrate game balance. I'm all for character variety, but if a game requires balance to be interesting and engaging at high level play, then it's probably not a good game to begin with.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I feel like this is implying that only casual scrubs will try to be serious with non-top tiers, or that non-top tier players should not exist in a serious competitive community
Haha yeah well whatever it means my Doc is gonna still exist in serious competitive smash. In the end it's just one persons opinion.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Where's your tournament experience to criticize them? >->
This is both an attack on the poster and completely avoids the questions his statement of fact raised. Your reply is dishonorable.
Edit: In a private discourse, MintyBreeze has shown himself to be honorable. Please do not look unfavorably on him due to this post.

Last edited:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Please watch the video first, Senpai.

You don't have to drop your mains. Keep them! The idea is that learning how to use top tiers will help you face against them with your current mains. Even if you don't main them it's always beneficial to thoroughly explore them.

MarkT

Smash Rookie
responses:
1) No one picks Yamcha because he sucks as a character. Someone might have more fun being Piccolo than Goku though. And you should pick someone you have fun with, because if you're not having fun you'll end up getting bored and dropping the game.
2) Not everyone thinks that way. I have more fun winning with a mid tier than winning with a top tier. I'm not ******** at characters who are better. I may wish my character a buff here and there, but I still got outplayed with the tools available.
3) By that logic, my opponent has not been playing against MY character. So they don't know the meta I bring, and I can get an advantage by surprising them with tactics they aren't familiar with. There are a million sheiks to practice against. There aren't many D3's out there.

And the most important rule:
If people aren't willing to put themselves out there to discover what a character is capable of then you'll never really know who is the best character. You need us low-mid tier players to validate that you do actually have the top tiers. As soon as Ryu appeared people were already starting to drool over a potential top tier. There hasn't been a super star yet to wear the belt yet. By your logic, since Ryu is not consistently winning tournaments yet, everyone should abandon ship right now, cause they're not living up to their potential.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
That's right, but for audience like us, it will get dull if we keep seeing Fox vs Fox, ZSS vs ZSS for most of the time.
I think ZSS dittos are fun to watch. But why ZSS? Don't you mean Sheik vs Sheik, or Rosa vs Rosa? I don't find them boring, but they're the highest tiers.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Two of my mains are mid-tier and I don't think people who use high-tier characters are cheap.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones

You don't have to drop your mains. Keep them! The idea is that learning how to use top tiers will help you face against them with your current mains. Even if you don't main them it's always beneficial to thoroughly explore them.
I used to have serious issues vs Yoshi so I decided to learn Yoshi. Now, my Yoshi isn't very good mind you but now I at least understand what options the character has and what i should be looking out for.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I think ZSS dittos are fun to watch. But why ZSS? Don't you mean Sheik vs Sheik, or Rosa vs Rosa? I don't find them boring, but they're the highest tiers.
Yes,ZSS ditto are fun imo. Rosa vs Rosa are interesting to watch.

Totally agreed with you there. That's why I had mained ZSS.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834

I play a top tier or some other character for a week and then stop playing them out of habit, actually. Now that I think of it Imactually kinda already doing this. Wow.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
No thanks. I'll keep my playing my :4wiifit:, regardless of her placement on some silly tier list.

Top Bottom