• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: Is It Too Late To Get Into Melee?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Many people know Omni for some of the vlogs he has released including Why Smash 4 Will Die, Why You Should Pick A Top Tier, How To Get Into Your Zone, and others. This time he sits down to answer a very commonly asked question: Is It Too Late To Get Into Melee? Give it a watch and leave comments below to share those thoughts!

SmashCapps thinks it's never to late to get into any of the Smash titles. To keep up with his adventures in the world of Smash be sure to follow him on Twitter.

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
Smashboards was slow w/ this one they need to give my man Omni more love than that.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Smashboards was slow w/ this one they need to give my man Omni more love than that.
Look at it from another angle. His video got shared a lot upon release right? Well with it on here today it gives him a second push instead of it being lumped all together with the first day. ;)

I promise we think things through when trying to schedule news (plus we have a LOT to feature.)

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
That's good. Thanks for enlightening me on that fact it makes me more aware of things in general. It pretty cool to know things from other angles. You keep up the good work!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I agree with this video, it's not too late to get into Melee.

I'd apply it to smash in general but still the point is made.

iDreamTheater

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iDreamTheater
3DS FC
5472-7184-0561
Smashboards was too busy letting everybody know that smash is going to be at nearly every major upcoming event. It's all good

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
I am so thankful for Omni and this video.
I haven't watched it yet cuz im at school, and I don't know his verdict, but I've had this question for so long.
Excited to get home and watch.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Never too late for anyone to join Melee.

Unless your a wimp like me and don't want to kill your hands/wrists.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Melee has another 15-20 years guaranteed down the road, unless the old men at Nintendo decide to send out a cease&desist for whatever bullcrap reason..

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Unfortunately for me, characters that I've grown to love in later entries aren't in Melee so it will be rare to see me going backwards in the series chronology at this point.

The point will still stand though 15 years from now when we are all arguing over Smash 7 and we look back at Melee, Smash 4 or Smash 5, etc. The athletic accomplishments of a sports fore fathers/mothers doesn't make future generations' exploits meaningless. It paves the way for the next generation to have it easier, to grow the sport farther than they could have ever dreamed possible. Whether it's Melee, Brawl, PM, Smash 4 or the last smash game very made, as long as we make it fun to watch we will inspire a new generation of players to take up the mantle.

Smash on, you future spawns you!

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Well since Melee is a vanilla game unlike PM it cannot be CAD'd. ever. So the only way for Melee to ever die is for people to stop playing it. And that won't happen until smash as a franchise somehow completely dies out.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ S ssbMars or until we run out of gamecubes and discs to use. Yeah, it's possible to emulate but there is potential for hacks and such to screw things up. No one wants to have some bored kid hacker screw up the Melee World Finals 10 years from now. ;-)

Zurf

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately for me, characters that I've grown to love in later entries aren't in Melee so it will be rare to see me going backwards in the series chronology at this point.

The point will still stand though 15 years from now when we are all arguing over Smash 7 and we look back at Melee, Smash 4 or Smash 5, etc. The athletic accomplishments of a sports fore fathers/mothers doesn't make future generations' exploits meaningless. It paves the way for the next generation to have it easier, to grow the sport farther than they could have ever dreamed possible. Whether it's Melee, Brawl, PM, Smash 4 or the last smash game very made, as long as we make it fun to watch we will inspire a new generation of players to take up the mantle.

Smash on, you future spawns you!
To be honest, I think it is unlikely that we will see a new smash installment for a very long time, considering Sakurai's opinion towards the series.

For all we know, Sm4sh could just keep getting re-released with a few updates for new consoles every few years.

Melee HD tho...

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Zurf Zurf Possible, though the same thing was said about Melee after it dropped and Brawl before that. We've had 2 instances where Smash was supposed to end after that specific installment and didn't.

Even without Sakurai there will probably be some kind of smash. Smash Brawl would have just been a Melee Online edition if Sakurai hadn't returned to make it, from what interviews with Iwata have discovered.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting into brawl this weekend! With so many active top players, and a thriving community, I really think I can make it big in it's mass, diverse meta!

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Thanks for posting this, I was in the midst of getting into Melee after a break. Am I missing something or was Omni just hamming it up when he was describing Melee? This game is frustrating and janky as all hell lmao.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Melee has another 15-20 years guaranteed down the road, unless the old men at Nintendo decide to send out a cease&desist for whatever bullcrap reason..
Another GUARANTEED 15-20 years? That's might be a bit of an over-exaggeration considering even Street Fighter 2 doesn't see that much play anymore (outside of a couple of majors that keep it for history and a few niche tourneys), and it's only 25 years old. SF2 had pretty much the longest successful run of any fighting game too.

Pablo's Combo's

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheOfficialPablo
I think I'll show this video to my friends. They believe they're too late to join the scene. But I think their minds will change after watching this.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
To be honest, I think it is unlikely that we will see a new smash installment for a very long time, considering Sakurai's opinion towards the series.

For all we know, Sm4sh could just keep getting re-released with a few updates for new consoles every few years.

Melee HD tho...
Nah, it mostly will be likely Sakurai won't do another one but someone else will pick up the mantle when Smash 5 comes down.

And I do say when because Smash is a cash cow for Nintendo on a number of levels.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Just don't play spacies lol. Or just take care of them properly.
It's a combo of that and I can't move my hands fast enough despite how much I try. I can't even perfect pivot in Smash 4. I'm sure if I really dedicated myself to it i'd get better but frankly I'd rather focus my time into a game where my favorite characters are actually viable : P.

jtm94

Smash Lord

Melee HD tho...
Melee HD better not happen or they would just ruin Melee for the sake of ruining the game's mechanics.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Too late to get into melee. One very simple reason why. We play competitively to become the best. But look at all the best players: ppl who have been playing melee for a LONG ASS TIME, like ever since 2001 or 2002. Everyone who picked melee up after those years has failed to make it, they simply cannot catch up no matter how hard they try. So melee is a game, speaking empirically, that one cannot hope to become the best at and are far more likely to get embarrassed in, repeatedly. Just watch the next national and watch all the noobs thinking they got better get totally embarrassed, it happens every tournament. I haven't played melee since early 2005 and I'm certain I can pick the game up today and beat a lot of those ppl who picked up the game in the past few years. Of course this is what the top players want: they know melee is an unforgiving game that demands too much of your time to become the best, so they say "sure come play my game!" When they are just saying it so the pot size at the next tournament they attend gets bigger. And most ppl that play melee realize this: they've given up on being competitive except against their friends and locals, they're actually all "casuals" who not only accept defeat but are expecting it. But they will rarely admit this. So I won't play melee, (and encourage others not to do it either), with a bunch of people who live in a state of false consciousness and who lie to themselves.

The worst part is when these so called "competitive" players from melee (aka the losers that always lose and get embarrassed vs the top tier players) attack smash 4, a game that, while it has its own weaknesses, is ridiculed for Being less of a game and hence a game for noobs and losers. That these same ppl are themselves largely losers brings an irony so thick you could make a pb&j that reaches space.

Last edited:

Gandhi Jam

Smash Rookie
Another GUARANTEED 15-20 years? That's might be a bit of an over-exaggeration considering even Street Fighter 2 doesn't see that much play anymore (outside of a couple of majors that keep it for history and a few niche tourneys), and it's only 25 years old. SF2 had pretty much the longest successful run of any fighting game too.
Until melee came out...Kappa.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Told you Omni was a Melee supporter. But did anyone believe me? Nooooo...

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
very snazzy intro sequence... been awhile since I've seen an Omni video.

probably the biggest issue I have actually playing Melee is that I don't like getting kicked down to the curb so often... I can put up with a loss as long as I make some decent amount of progress, but getting 3 to 4 stocked frequently in my area can be very discouraging.

I also don't care for using the top tiers as much as who I like. so while I am a competent Marth as far as being an amateur is, I LIKE to use Link, and we all know how he fares...

Last edited:

KillerGum

Smash Cadet
Too late to get into melee. One very simple reason why. We play competitively to become the best. But look at all the best players: ppl who have been playing melee for a LONG *** TIME, like ever since 2001 or 2002. Everyone who picked melee up after those years has failed to make it, they simply cannot catch up no matter how hard they try. So melee is a game, speaking empirically, that one cannot hope to become the best at and are far more likely to get embarrassed in, repeatedly. Just watch the next national and watch all the noobs thinking they got better get totally embarrassed, it happens every tournament. I haven't played melee since early 2005 and I'm certain I can pick the game up today and beat a lot of those ppl who picked up the game in the past few years. Of course this is what the top players want: they know melee is an unforgiving game that demands too much of your time to become the best, so they say "sure come play my game!" When they are just saying it so the pot size at the next tournament they attend gets bigger. And most ppl that play melee realize this: they've given up on being competitive except against their friends and locals, they're actually all "casuals" who not only accept defeat but are expecting it. But they will rarely admit this. So I won't play melee, (and encourage others not to do it either), with a bunch of people who live in a state of false consciousness and who lie to themselves.

The worst part is when these so called "competitive" players from melee (aka the losers that always lose and get embarrassed vs the top tier players) attack smash 4, a game that, while it has its own weaknesses, is ridiculed for Being less of a game and hence a game for noobs and losers. That these same ppl are themselves largely losers brings an irony so thick you could make a pb&j that reaches space.
Wow. Did you even watch the video? The top players haven't been playing since 2001 or 2002. Many top 50 players started around 2010-2012. You also seem to make assumptions about a community and people you don't even know. You said you haven't played melee since 2005, so you are not in a position to speak about the Melee community. You don't know competitive player's minds, so don't act like you know what they are thinking. Like Omni said, there are so many resources out now to help people improve. Acting like Melee is this inaccessible game filled with people who are only good because they've been playing it for 14 years is just spreading false information.

Insinuating there is some sort of Melee Illuminati trying to get new players to join just to increase their pot bonuses is laughable. Ever think they just want their game to grow and want more people to experience it?

Many people who play Melee competitively don't become the best because they don't put the work needed into it. That's how the world works. If you don't work harder than others, you won't be the best. Alongside that, many Melee players don't even want to be the best, they just want to have fun and play against other people and meet new faces. People who get destroyed by top players are usually having fun because they are just excited to meet and play against the best players in the world.

Concerning your last paragraph, you seem to have a vendetta against Melee because some online trolls talk trash about Smash 4. You call them losers, but you are doing the same thing, only attacking a group of people instead of a game, which is worse. You said that you actively discourage people form joining Melee. Why? Are you so filled with some sort of resentment that you don't want others to potentially enjoy something they are interested in?

I simply don't understand why you want to spread this false information around or actively discourage others from playing a game just because you assume bad things about the game and its community when in reality, you haven't played the game since 2005 and most likely haven't spoken to a competitive player since.

tl;dr: You are wrong and the evidence as to why is right in front of you, but you reject it because you don't want your baseless presumptions about the game and community to be shown false.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
thats because there's not a LOT of players left that played the game when it came out, but the top 10 players are all people who had the game within the first few years the game came out. So of course you have (newer) players in top 50. My point still stands.

Alongside that, many Melee players don't even want to be the best, they just want to have fun and play against other people and meet new faces. People who get destroyed by top players are usually having fun because they are just excited to meet and play against the best players in the world.
if they aren't concerned with being the best then one has to wonder why they take part in the competitive community in an OLD GAME. there's a bajillion other games, including newer smash games, that they could take part in and have a better opportunity of going to the top. They don't have a (modern) competitive mindset at all. I actually don't see anything wrong with this except for the fact that many of these melee players are a bit too fanboyish for that game in particular and attack smash 4, among other things.

I know what made melee a great game. You won't hear different from me, except when it comes to character balance issues. But I'm not going to live in the past or put in the work on an old game to get to the top.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
thats because there's not a LOT of players left that played the game when it came out, but the top 10 players are all people who had the game within the first few years the game came out. So of course you have (newer) players in top 50. My point still stands.

if they aren't concerned with being the best then one has to wonder why they take part in the competitive community in an OLD GAME. there's a bajillion other games, including newer smash games, that they could take part in and have a better opportunity of going to the top. They don't have a (modern) competitive mindset at all. I actually don't see anything wrong with this except for the fact that many of these melee players are a bit too fanboyish for that game in particular and attack smash 4, among other things.

I know what made melee a great game. You won't hear different from me, except when it comes to character balance issues. But I'm not going to live in the past or put in the work on an old game to get to the top.
"let me defend my earlier rant about how melee sucks, is outdated, and is inferior to smash 4 and everyone should convert to smash 4 with more ranting that proves nothing but my absolute ignorance for the game"

You're generalizing a very small group in the Melee community to be the entire community. If you would so kindly do two seconds of research next time, the Melee community isn't just a community of babbling idiots. We're pretty much just like the Smash 4 community, only we play a different game.

As for hating, you're trying to propose that they're aren't Melee haters in the Smash 4 community and, oh my, do you have something to learn.

The Smash 4 community is not clean. Neither is Melee's. There's always going to be that one small group who hates in every game. Just because there's a small group in a community doesn't mean that should be determined as the face of the entire community.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I am so thankful for Omni and this video.
I haven't watched it yet cuz im at school, and I don't know his verdict, but I've had this question for so long.
Excited to get home and watch.
same for me i need to learn melee but ive never even played it casually :/

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
My fingers are too slow for melee, truthfully. I mained Link back in the day because I simply couldn't play Fox or Falco. My finger joints would lock up in the middle of button combinations and I'd always get punished for it.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice

Alright, so here it is, coming from a new player, as in I picked up PM early 2014, and I started learning Melee 2 months ago.

The fact that the game is old and the top of the mountain is inaccessible in your eyes are both irrelevant facts.

The game is fun, and despite there being 2 later installments, those installments are not as fast as Melee, and they just don't give ME the same adrenaline high that I get when I get a sick combo in Melee or even Project M xD

That is not to say anything bad about people who prefer Smash 4, but I, as well as many others, simply PREFER Melee because the games that came after it did not retain the traits that attracted us to Melee. It is as simple as that. For me, I don't care if I ever become good enough to beat the "Gods". I just love the game, and I want to go fast and do cool stuff, and maybe one day all the time and energy I put into the game will make me good enough to beat some of the better players.

Rasko

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing melee since April and I can go to round 4 of losers at locals, haven't played in a pool yet. The resources are out there you just gotta work hard.

Top Bottom