• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega stages in competitive Smash

BadLuckBrian

Smash Cadet
There is this 'problem' I have while watching tournaments online. Most of the battles (90%+) are taking place on at least on one of the two Animal Crossing stages. Master Sakurai spend so much time working on the Omega stages and it is still considered not good enough for competitive Smash? I for instance am a Villager main and Omega stages that go straight down (Wii Fit Studio, Wrecking Crew) are very beneficial for me because I can almost instant kill with my bowlingball. The purpose of a counterpick is bringing your opponent in a disadvantage, however the exact same stage everybody is familiar with is being picked.

What exactly am I missing here.

BadLuckBrian

Smash Cadet
I will be having my first competitive tournament soon and I have this feeling others will think I'm 'weird' for choosing Omega stages like Wii Fit Studio.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Try not to double post. If you wanted to add commentary after your original post, you would simply edit it and append your new statement.
Not everyone enjoys omegas. Smashville is the stage you see the most because it's the most comfortable stage in the game for players. If omega stages aren't banned at whatever tourney you're playing at, then by all means pick one.

BadLuckBrian

Smash Cadet
becuase most people like having platforms too.
Hope they will not hate me for choosing straight Omega stages during the tournament then. I think platforms can heavily disturb some combo attempts or help my opponent to recover.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
It's not about being "good enough", it's about picking what's optimal for the matchup. Smashville is extremely balanced in most matchups so you see people strike to it a lot.

If people think the stage you pick are weird, all the better. Take them someplace uncomfortable and use that advantage, so long as the stage is legal.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I will be having my first competitive tournament soon and I have this feeling others will think I'm 'weird' for choosing Omega stages like Wii Fit Studio.
You are perfectly fine picking the omega you want, as long as Final Destination isn't banned during the counter-picking process.

But keep in mind too, Final Destination (i.e., a completely flat stage with no platforms) sometimes isn't favourable for the player to go to, and they would rather choose another stage that offers bigger advantages.

LightLV

Smash Ace
master sakurai should have done more than 25 seconds of research and realized that, no, "all fox final destination only" was not to be taken seriously. Probably because FD is not a 50:50 stage and fox gets 0-death'd on FD.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
There is this 'problem' I have while watching tournaments online. Most of the battles (90%+) are taking place on at least on one of the two Animal Crossing stages. Master Sakurai spend so much time working on the Omega stages and it is still considered not good enough for competitive Smash? I for instance am a Villager main and Omega stages that go straight down (Wii Fit Studio, Wrecking Crew) are very beneficial for me because I can almost instant kill with my bowlingball. The purpose of a counterpick is bringing your opponent in a disadvantage, however the exact same stage everybody is familiar with is being picked.

most people like Smashville

it is a good stage

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anything is wrong with omega stages. To me they are basically an asteticly different FD. But I feel like most characters perform better with platforms.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053

The reason people don't go to omega stages constantly is exactly what you stated: the stage favors certain characters slightly. For instance, projectile-focused characters can hit their opponents more easily on FD/omegas, characters with wall jumps or certain edgeguarding techniques can abuse flat walls, and characters who have strong attacks above them are at a bit of a disadvantage with no platforms to hit through. The omegas are not poorly balanced by any means, but players often try to go to what they perceive as a stage with a better balance of platforms like Smashville, Town & City, or even Battlefield. Luckily for you, FD is basically always a starter due to its reasonable balance, so feel free to try to play there. Just don't be surprised that your opponent doesn't want to go to the stage you play best on. That's the whole point of the stage striking system; each player tries to lead the opponent to their favorite stage until a compromise is reached. Smashville happens to be a good compromise.

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
It's been discussed quite frequently why Smashville is the most popular stage (even balance of platform presence/absence; good length enables retreats, but not to FD's extent). What I want to know is why people counterpick vanilla FD when their own character benefits from other omegas' qualities, e.g. wall-jumping or flying under the stage.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
It's been discussed quite frequently why Smashville is the most popular stage (even balance of platform presence/absence; good length enables retreats, but not to FD's extent). What I want to know is why people counterpick vanilla FD when their own character benefits from other omegas' qualities, e.g. wall-jumping or flying under the stage.
I belive this is due to ignorance. It's easy to forget the little differences that the omegas have between each other. Many people look at the omegas and just write them off as final destination. This will probably change as the game ages, remember this game still new.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Smashville doesn't have a balance of "platform presence/absence." The platform is always there. I think you mean Town and City.

Either way, since there are so many Omega stages, tournaments handle them in a few different ways.
Treated as counterpick-only, if FD is stricken (which it often is), so are all Omegas.
Alternately, since aside from walls, grass, and ledge type, they're essentially the same, some tournaments just ban them outright.

Either way, there is no "most fair stage", unless by fair you mean Sheik's forward air. In which case, definitely Smashville.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Smashville doesn't have a balance of "platform presence/absence." The platform is always there. I think you mean Town and City.

Either way, since there are so many Omega stages, tournaments handle them in a few different ways.
Treated as counterpick-only, if FD is stricken (which it often is), so are all Omegas.
Alternately, since aside from walls, grass, and ledge type, they're essentially the same, some tournaments just ban them outright.

Either way, there is no "most fair stage", unless by fair you mean Sheik's forward air. In which case, definitely Smashville.
I'd rather have Sheik take me to lylat or FD then Smashville since she can land on the platform and reset her fair combo to carry you to the blastzone.

IMO Omegas should just be taken as CP Stages, and available to choose if FD isn't banned.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd rather have Sheik take me to lylat or FD then Smashville since she can land on the platform and reset her fair combo to carry you to the blastzone.

IMO Omegas should just be taken as CP Stages, and available to choose if FD isn't banned.
Precisely what I was talking about. It's her best stage, and in most cases, even if it's your own character's best stage, she shouldn't be taken there.

But yeah, that's generally the case with Omegas. EVO didn't run them due to some song copyright details on a few of 'em, but aside from that it's fairly common to treat them as a sub-category of FD for the counter-picking player to select.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
master sakurai should have done more than 25 seconds of research and realized that, no, "all fox final destination only" was not to be taken seriously. Probably because FD is not a 50:50 stage and fox gets 0-death'd on FD.
Uh last time I checked Sakurai didn't choose that based on a meme but data gathered from the frequency of 1 vs. 1 fights on Brawl's online

Raijinken

Smash Master
Uh last time I checked Sakurai didn't choose that based on a meme but data gathered from the frequency of 1 vs. 1 fights on Brawl's online
I never quite understood why, when he's finally given us a competitive ruleset of his own devising, we were so immediately inclined to disregard it and blame it on a meme.

Owait, it's because our community is immature and absurdly entitled.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I never quite understood why, when he's finally given us a competitive ruleset of his own devising, we were so immediately inclined to disregard it and blame it on a meme.

Owait, it's because our community is immature and absurdly entitled.
No, it's because it's a terrible competitive ruleset.

There is not a single "competitive" community that will ever respect it, it ignores over 15 years of tried and tested competitive rulesets by the community.

After years of Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Brawl+ and Project M, you would think he'd have seen at least ONE grand finals set and realized a completely flat stage 100% of the time is a silly idea.

That meme joke is ironically funny for lots of reasons, but the fact Smash 4's intentionally competitive ruleset resembles it just takes it to another whole level.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm pretty sure the FG rules were based on Brawl online, where FD was the most chosen stage for the most part. Not chosen based on a witty meme. I don't think that FD only is a great ruleset for a tournament, but just saying.

Raijinken

Smash Master
No, it's because it's a terrible competitive ruleset.

There is not a single "competitive" community that will ever respect it, it ignores over 15 years of tried and tested competitive rulesets by the community.

After years of Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Brawl+ and Project M, you would think he'd have seen at least ONE grand finals set and realized a completely flat stage 100% of the time is a silly idea.

That meme joke is ironically funny for lots of reasons, but the fact Smash 4's intentionally competitive ruleset resembles it just takes it to another whole level.
"Have you ever made a game?" - Sakurai

There's not a single "competitive" Smash community that will ever respect it, because it pointedly contrasts everything that/those very communit(y/ies) have spent years theorizing over.

Not everything in our rulesets is necessarily thought out or objective (nor in any), and in the rare case that something was once fully thought out and made sense, the community at large has failed to spread that reasoning and justification across time and instead has fallen back to allowing misconceptions to spread instead of re-evaluating or explaining these issues.

Amongst fighting games, Smash has to have one of the most convoluted sets of rules, and it was in essence entirely community-made. That's a great achievement, but it means nothing from a "competitive quality" standpoint - it's all about ego.

What makes For Glory bad, competitively? I've seen a lot of subjective reasons (time outs happen more often, sudden death is used, only one stage type, etc), but never an objective analysis (or supportive evidence grounded in competitive theory or game design principle) enumerating what makes For Glory bad. And frankly, if there's something simple about it, simple issues often come with simple solutions (like sudden death).

No one wants to override our ancient customs with something that was, at one point, presumably considered a "terrible competitive ruleset" (disregarding that such a ruleset wasn't even possible until Melee). No TO with a successful event and reputable playerbase wants to risk the test-run to either make a point or give it a valid trial. I don't blame them. But nor do I think a, to many eyes, unjustified claim of "because it's bad" is a sufficient explanation for why we use one ruleset over another. Especially when our baseline for each game has been to clone the last game's rules until matches start taking too long.

LightLV

Smash Ace
"Have you ever made a game?" - Sakurai
Yes. - Me

There's not a single "competitive" Smash community that will ever respect it, because it pointedly contrasts everything that/those very communit(y/ies) have spent years theorizing over.

Not everything in our rulesets is necessarily thought out or objective (nor in any), and in the rare case that something was once fully thought out and made sense, the community at large has failed to spread that reasoning and justification across time and instead has fallen back to allowing misconceptions to spread instead of re-evaluating or explaining these issues.
Our rulesets aren't thought out or objective? What!?!?! According to who, you? With the exception of the banning of Miis or Customs, name me one rule that was put into Smash competitive rulesets that has no objective reasoning.
(there are plenty of objective reasons for banning customs and miis as well, although i dont think they have anything to do with balance issues.)

Amongst fighting games, Smash has to have one of the most convoluted sets of rules, and it was in essence entirely community-made. That's a great achievement, but it means nothing from a "competitive quality" standpoint - it's all about ego.
Ego...? What?

No, this is entirely because Smash itself allows you to edit rules, yet has never formally addressed one or two minor oversights that the competitive communities have always had issue with. And with the coming of Brawl and now Smash 4, it's seeming like its entirely intentional. The ability to restrict Sudden Death and issue wins off damage % is a braindead option to include, and it's unlikely they didn't realize competitive players never used it.

What makes For Glory bad, competitively? I've seen a lot of subjective reasons (time outs happen more often, sudden death is used, only one stage type, etc), but never an objective analysis (or supportive evidence grounded in competitive theory or game design principle) enumerating what makes For Glory bad. And frankly, if there's something simple about it, simple issues often come with simple solutions (like sudden death).
Lol first off, just because you call something subjective doesn't mean it really is. If you disagree on the reasoning, just say so. But i refuse to believe you've actually looked up any of these issues and have come to the conclusion that there's no objective reasoning behind why people think For Glory is garbage.

1) It's okay for time out to be a valid strategy, this isn't an issue

2) Except for when Sudden Death exists, which renders everything that happened in that final stock irrelevant and turning the deciding match into a game of one-strike that, in itself, is an unbalanced mode of gameplay depending on your choice of character

3) All flat stages that also slant the match in favor of specific types of movesets with no option for counterplay.

No one wants to override our ancient customs with something that was, at one point, presumably considered a "terrible competitive ruleset" (disregarding that such a ruleset wasn't even possible until Melee). No TO with a successful event and reputable playerbase wants to risk the test-run to either make a point or give it a valid trial. I don't blame them. But nor do I think a, to many eyes, unjustified claim of "because it's bad" is a sufficient explanation for why we use one ruleset over another. Especially when our baseline for each game has been to clone the last game's rules until matches start taking too long.
Bringing up any rulesets that existed before Melee is a bit silly, Smash64 is quite far removed from any other 2 version of Smash. And off that fact, it should be understandable why nobody wants to deviate from our "ANCIENT" customs. They've been working. Brawl and Smash 4 are damn near the same game with slight differences (and less stuff), this is the closest 2 iterations have been to one another.

No, Smash 4 has just confirmed what everyone already knew from playing Brawl -- Sakurai does not like competitive play. He doesn't like the idea of players being objectively better than one another. He would prefer matches to stay lighthearted, and for another player to always have a chance to come back. Hence, stale move reduction, tripping, rage, nerfs to hitstun, nerfs to defense mechanics, a competitive ruleset (BY REQUEST OF THE PLAYERBASE) that ignores competitive rulesets that have been in use (by the same players) for over a decade, and a tournament mode that is so poorly designed in 2015, it would have to have been made bad on purpose.

I mean, f--ing seriously. For Glory FFA and Team Battles are 2 minutes, no stock. No Team Attack i can completely understand...but timed matches? The only explanation i can come up with is "clueless" or "intentional". This being a 4th iteration in a long-running series, there really is no room for anything else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom