• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega Stage legality at EVO/other majors?

ZetaRokure

Smash Cadet
Omega Stages are essentially FD with a fresh coat of paint, perhaps with some very minor alterations (ledge traits transitioning over), and despite this, were prohibited at EVO. Is wall clinging gamebreaking or something?

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
I think it was for the same reason that some stages were banned. There were only so many stages that nintendo allowed due to music copyright, and to avoid an omega version of said stages being picked, they banned tham all. That's what I heard at least, could be wrong though.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Why would they have to worry about music copyright in their own game ? In a tournament that they sponsor no less.
Nintendo owns the franchises, but music is an entire different monster.
I mean, the EVO stream silenced the in-game audio during the Results Screen, so it's probably something REALLY bad.

One of the theories I have is that music is owned by their composer/composing company, and they may have allowed Nintendo to use the music in the game (the so-called "domestic usage") but not for publicity purposes, and the stream itself may be considered advertising so they are not allowed to stream it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Nintendo owns the franchises, but music is an entire different monster.
I mean, the EVO stream silenced the in-game audio during the Results Screen, so it's probably something REALLY bad.

One of the theories I have is that music is owned by their composer/composing company, and they may have allowed Nintendo to use the music in the game (the so-called "domestic usage") but not for publicity purposes, and the stream itself may be considered advertising so they are not allowed to stream it.
I know Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Sonic or Mother music. The rest...yeah, legal complications that we can only speculate at.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
EVO disallowed them for legal reasons, like others said. Most other tournaments I've seen allow them if both players do a Gentlemen's agreement to use an omega instead of default FD.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I think that at big tournaments, Omega Onett and Windy Hill Zone will need to be banned. PAC-LAND, Suzaku Castle, and Wily Castle may have issues too, but PAC-LAND and Wily Castle were allowed at Apex, so Nintendo may be able to license out that music.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I think it's silly that it came down to being a legal issue for omega stages not being allowed, but still... it is and it makes sense to not stream them. I personally use them for my tournaments though, as a counter for FD. I also stream those tournaments, but haven't had a S&D yet.

Top Bottom