• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimars weaknesses/How to beat him

Umm The Hobo

Smash Cadet
So I have been hearing lots of talk about how Olimar is overpowered. I got brawl the day it came out and I figured out a way to beat Olimar. Olimar's upsmash has amazing vertical range, but the width isn't very big, If he is on ground and you are in air, approach diagonally. Olimars foward smash is awesome, if it hits. If it doesn't hit their is some recovery time. Learn how to dodge. all of Olimar's air moves attack like his upsmash, so you should attack him diagonally. When Olimar flies off the stage, edgeguard since his up-B is a tether. If you use all these things against Olimar he is really just as good as any other character :)

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
I find that the most important thing I try to focus on when playing Olimar is not to put myself in a situation where I can be pressured. Pikmin are inevitably lost over the course of your battle, and every Olimar needs time to stabalize and re-organize. This is when you need to get him off the ground. Not all characters do this well, and some players don't understand that you need to do it at all.

Everything you said is pretty obvious, albiet effective.

Sonic_keyblade

Smash Apprentice
My 6-year old sister beat me when I was playing as olimar, because she didn't let me have a chance to bring out pikmin... and that really has a major role in his gameplay. Without his pikmin he can't recover, do some of his more powerful attacks, and he doesn't really stand a chance.

usea

Smash Ace
His upsmash actually has some pretty decent width to it, from my experience. I'm not at home to test it right now though.

the656

Smash Journeyman
If you approch from a diagonal the Olimar player will probably move away or try something like an fair. Some other ways that can stop some aerial attacks are the ftilt and utilt

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
the main thing with olimar is that you just have to keep pressure on him, like yakt said, as an added bonus, if you keep him from being on the ground for any length of time he generally runs out of pikmin

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
the main thing with olimar is that you just have to keep pressure on him, like yakt said, as an added bonus, if you keep him from being on the ground for any length of time he generally runs out of pikmin
nah, unless the player is desperately throwing pikmin thinking the enemy won't stop coming, he won't lose that many pikmin because they are off to the side of the map like PT when you don't attack by moving them. but he probably will mess up, it's kinda funny to watch Olimars run around helplessly when they are being attacked.

Nosferatu

Smash Rookie
Ive been using Olimar since i got my hands on a copy at Midnight on March 8th
and hes quickly become my favorite character

the only real problem i see with him,
aside from the fact that not everyone understands the absolute need for Pikmin
is that once he's in the air, hes pretty much yours for the kill

Juggling is his number one enemy

I have no problem facing off against people like Wolf, Lucario, and Pit
but when they get me in the air
it becomes ridiculously hard to get myself back down to the point to where im ok

His D-air leaves him so ridiculously open that it makes it virtually obsolete to even attempt at using

and his F-air can only hit the sides
so if you are using a really good juggler, that hits him directly from underneath him
then you should have no problems beating Olimar

but,
thats only until i find a way to make that no longer a problem
;D

Rhyme

Smash Lord
but,
thats only until i find a way to make that no longer a problem
;D
Airdodging in Brawl doesn't take away your second jump or upB and can be done multiple times, try that for getting around jugglers. Oli's whistle also has super armor at the start, and the lag from that is about half the lag of an airdodge, so you'll take the damage but you can react quicker. Use the slightly off timing of these two as a mindgame to get yourself back to the ground.

If he is on ground and you are in air, approach diagonally.
I have...NO idea what you're talking about. Olimar's Usmash has pretty rediculously low priority (Squirtles's Dair and many other low-priority repetitive attacks power right through it), and his upB shoots out at a default 45 degree angle anyway which pretty much destroys the "approach at an angle" option given the priority of his upB. =/

veritron

Smash Cadet
i've had luck using lots of fireball spam and down tornados with luigi - the down tornado makes luigi go through the pikmin and send olimar up into the air.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
i've had luck using lots of fireball spam and down tornados with luigi - the down tornado makes luigi go through the pikmin and send olimar up into the air.
What stops the Oli player from shield grabbing as you're moving towards him? I'm not sure off hand how fast the tornado is, but I suppose you're on the right track if you want to talk about getting Olimar in the air with less Pikmin, which puts him at his weakest.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
he, if you want to beat Olimar just frickin juggle him. He is not solid getting down from the air, a Zelda, even after Olimar dodges an Uair once will be able to be hit and killed a 2nd time.

Nosferatu

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Rhyme

Airdodging in Brawl doesn't take away your second jump or upB and can be done multiple times, try that for getting around jugglers. Oli's whistle also has super armor at the start, and the lag from that is about half the lag of an airdodge, so you'll take the damage but you can react quicker. Use the slightly off timing of these two as a mindgame to get yourself back to the ground
Thanks very much for your input
Im quite fond of the Whistle Armor tactic
as its saved me from numerous heavy hits and projectiles
but sometimes it just cant be used right
same goes for the air dodge
mainly against people like Pit
who attack numerous times in the air and make it hard to completely dodge all of their hits
and if i do manage to dodge their attacks
most of the characters i have trouble with fall faster than me
and again, put me in the same position only with a lot smaller of an area for me to react in
and i get launched, again
Granted, if im on the ground, im a beast
its just getting launched by annoying jugglers that gets me

i can still beat these characters
or at least stay neck and neck until the end
i just want to a way to avoid the problem as much as i can

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Ironically considering first Olimar impressions, I've found Olimar does not do great with projectile spam. He can overpower some characters doing this, however it costs pikmin and over time requires more pikmin, which is down time, and thats where the idea of constant pressure comes in, make it had to get more and olimar's options become limited, not to mention the player is now focused on looking for an opening simply to draw more pikmin, taking his priority off of doing maximum damage to you.

Another short coming of Olimar's I've experienced so far is the very close range, if a player is able to move in effectively on olimer, to within that FSmash/grab distance, things start getting really squirrelly and often results in a mess, as olimars only real option here is the DSmash which can be beat both in speed and priority by a large number of moves. Obviously getting safely into this range is a challenge, but as much as Olimar mains work on strategies to prevent just that, I'm sure others are finding ways to adjust and accomplish just that, and I expect it'll become a breaking point for the outcome of any match.

These and some of the things listed above certainly "limit" olimar, but he has been given a strong move set no doubt. Fortunately I still see this as in balance and not over powered nor under powered, though time is still the only one who can tell. For what its worth however, I also think most people are over reacting about marth's supposed broken unfair strengths, so perhaps i'm not seeing things clearly yet. Thats my two cents either way though, we shall see.

-True

Top Bottom