• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's New 3.6 Recovery?

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
The Pm development team just released a new teaser trailer for 3.6, and in a tiny little segment (around 1:45) in the trailer there was a small glimpse of Olimar using a new Diddy-esque rocket recovery!

So what does this mean for Olimar in 3.6? Will his current up-B be reworked into a z-tether? Is it scrapped altogether? Has the Pm team fixed Oli's bugs? Is he finally going to be viable?

I've been an Olimar main since 3.0, and have never been active in these boards, but that 2 second clip of Olimar has me thinking of all sorts of questions. Let's discuss this please.

Ps- I'm currently on my phone, and can update this with more later.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Rip ivy esque upb finisher.

BUT ROCKET UPB HYPE DOE.

All we need is elemental immunity on pikmin and grab armor and we good. We'll see what's what in the changelog post release, I guess.

CAN'T CONTAIN HYPE FOR MUCH LONGER AND I FOUND OUT 5 MINUTES AGO. 3.6 WHEN?!?

Menk

Smash Cadet
I love the Buzz Lightyear pose. I'll miss the tether but I doubt theyre reworking it into a z tether, though that would be awesome.

I think this is mostly a bug fix and minor features patch, so hopefully olimar is in good shape.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
All Olimar truly needs is bug fixes IMO. He juggles like a pro, and has good setups. Great damage potential, and good mixups with side-B. He can hold his own on stage, but his off stage game is garbage, and he's too easy to gimp. I'm hoping the patch fixes that.

I would love elemental immunity back. That really helped for certain match ups, and grab armor would mean a ton.

I do like the design of the new recovery as well. Looks like it'll be more reliable than his tether, but not stupid like Smash 4's winged Pikmin.

I wish they would have shown more footage of the recovery. There are definitely people out there who care about Olimar.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
This means I can solo-color combo everyone without fear of not having a recovery.

3.6 is going to be a great patch for Olimar.

Fingers crossed for grab armor.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'm super hyped to see how this recovery will effect his gimping abilities as he already has a really good air game with his fast aerials. I wonder if you'll be able to angle it though cause we only see it go in a 60 degree angle in the trailer, though I assume you will be able to.

Also according to @ steelguttey steelguttey Olimar is set to receive even more buffs this update (though it's currently confidential)! 3.6 is looking to be a real treat for Oli mains.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
This means I can solo-color combo everyone without fear of not having a recovery.
Definitely something to not be overlooked. I like having 1-2 Pikmin so it's easier to manage the order, but get knocked off stage then bam I'm dead.

Makes him respawning with only 2 Pikmin better than 4 in some situations depending on the RNG.

Looking forward to some fast Yellow aerial combos.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Glad you mentioned yellows, zero-to-deathing a ton of characters is super easy with solo-yellow.

oh my god I'm hype just thinking about jetpack Oli

nimigoha

Smash Ace
The only downside to the Jetpack is that it's not an Onion. That would have been adorable.

New recovery might be the biggest gameplay change so far in 3.6. Maybe debugging the ICs, it's debatable as both characters were borderline unplayable.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
For real, his recovery no longer relying on Pikmin count is kinda game-changing. Side-b is safe, solo-Pikmin is safe, up-b works consistently.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
You'll be able to play Olimar more aggressively without worrying that your tether will fall apart. Side-b will be buffed in the idea that you don't have to call back your Pikmin instantly You won't have to recover low in order to grab the ledge, and have more recovery options (sort of like recovering high with Falcon).

White/purple strings, solo purple, solo yellow oh lawdy.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
The only real downside I see to this new recovery is that it will be spike food for characters like Fox, Falcon, Falco, Zard, and others who have quick and reliable meteors/spikes. This is going to make properly saving your jump and aerial pluck top priority.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
The only real downside I see to this new recovery is that it will be spike food for characters like Fox, Falcon, Falco, Zard, and others who have quick and reliable meteors/spikes. This is going to make properly saving your jump and aerial pluck top priority.
Fox's shine-spike already messed up our recovery by messing our Pikmin line. It was a one, and done type of situation, and retaining our jump, and aerial pluck is nothing new either.

Another question I've been thinking about in regard to the new recovery are the properties of it. Will Olimar have a hitbox? Maybe it spikes? Possibilities?!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Fox's shine-spike already messed up our recovery by messing our Pikmin line. It was a one, and done type of situation, and retaining our jump, and aerial pluck is nothing new either.

Another question I've been thinking about in regard to the new recovery are the properties of it. Will Olimar have a hitbox? Maybe it spikes? Possibilities?!
Yeah I think I derped with that statement maybe I'm just trying to find something bad with this recovery, ehh we'll see how it works when 3.6 drops.

According to SilentDoom, Olimar has a sweetspot when the move starts and hits multiple times while rising and finishes with a strong hit at the end. How powerful the sweetspot is and the final hit is, is currently unknown. Maybe this will be a good OOS option if it's safe enough.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
It looks like it has decent height too. Maybe it will be chargeable as well? Angles?

Like I'd be super happy with basically a Diddy clone plus more hitboxes. Sounds good.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
It looks like it has decent height too. Maybe it will be chargeable as well? Angles?
I don't think it's going to be chargeable as it already looks to go pretty high on it's own. I'm still dying to know if you can angle this thing, as it would make his options for recovering less linear.

steelguttey

mei is bei
oh yea right

silentdoom rephrased

**** doesnt have a sweetspot at the beginning, but at the end. its basically mario's up b in every way lol

the up b sweetspot doesnt kill

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
oh yea right

silentdoom rephrased

**** doesnt have a sweetspot at the beginning, but at the end. its basically mario's up b in every way lol

the up b sweetspot doesnt kill
Gotcha!

Edit: Work exactly like you said!

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
At 1:10 you can kinda see how it works in action. I know it's turbo mode so it's a little scewed but still. I would personally love to be able to attack out of it or during if possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOuXKCvhTvw
More importantly the angle of the recovery does seem to be able to be manipulated in any way, so it look like this recovery is going to be very linear and predictable.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
its basically mario's up b in every way lol
remember that time when I was all like "give Olimar Mario's up-b"

not kidding that was a thing I said for a while and I meant every word of it

Olimar jetpack best buff

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Teaching my friend Mario and went into debug to show him hitboxes.

Mario has like 6 frames of intangibility on his up-b. That covers like the first two thirds of the total vertical distance traveled.

Intangible jetpack when.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Remember that time I was like "solo Yellow Pikmin let's go"?

Just realized that it's because that's the closest I can come to being able to combo like I could in 3.0. The up-smash change hit my combo game hard.

I miss 3.0limar.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I just hate Purple pikmin now. Please tell me if I'm using them incorrectly.

But they suck so much when they're leaf. Meh at bud and good at flower but I can't do anything with them in leaf.

Pikmin throw is good with them but that's it early on.

Pikmin just add so many development issues with the order and budding system. There will pretty much always be problems making him a consistent character.

steelguttey

mei is bei
dude purple usmash still kills at like100% lmao

youre using them wrong. purple throw ismt just "good", its one of the best projectiles in the game

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Nah, purples suck now because grab distance.

They're still great for everything else (except walling with f-smash).

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
The difference is that in 3.0, in spite of purples not having great throws (except they're all actually pretty good at the very least because positional advantage), you could actually land the grab sometimes, which is by default an advantage. Now they're **** because they go nowhere and come out on a frame later than most grabs.

I get the whole pikmin management thing, but being unable to perform a critical possible action because one color happens to be in front is absurd. Being unable to land finishers with whites is fine because you can still at least land the hit, but the purple distance nerf essentially removed a decent option entirely.

steelguttey

mei is bei
you can completely land the grab, the thing is that they arent tether grabs anymore and you gotta accept that. theyre normal grabs. bad, but usable.

thats 90% of olimar's metagame though, pikmin management. you are completely able to grab, its just worse. simple. you can land the hit, the hitbox is there

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The easy solution to purples being **** to grab with is to not grab with purple, with how fast it is to cycle Pikmin, that's really not an issue. Olimar would really appreciate having SOME level of Purple grab back (mainly because it would help the whole worst character in the game thing), but that's not one of the bigger issues oli has.

While Purple's not very well rounded, it's still one of the most ridiculous things in the game do to obscene kill power, huge damage racking, and a completely unique Pikmin Toss that's so powerful that games can be decided on how many you're able to get so you can freely toss them around like the utterly stupid hitboxes they are. Yeah, your grabs suck, but Olimar just doesn't have any other move that gets anywhere close to how ludicrous Purple Pikmin Toss is. Killing with your entire moveset at 100 when you have it out doesn't hurt either.

Purples are incredible, that's the long and short of it.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
How unsafe is Up B OOS?
Pretty unsafe. The hits don't link properly, the move has some slight start-up, and it doesn't put you in a favorable position even if you land every hit.

supersodaman18

Smash Rookie
TBH I don't like the new recovery. I mean yeah you don't need pikmin to use it but when I started playing olimar his meteor was the easiest one to land so I would jump off the edge and meteor my opponent getting a lot of gimps. But with this new recovery i can no longer risk it as the vertical climb for it is very small. It's also super easy to be hit or spike out of it and you can't do much when in the animation.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I think they should allow you to angle the jetpack directly upwards, giving in as much vertical distance as four Pikmin on a chain like the old up-b, but removing pretty much all horizontal distance to compensate.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I love how hype everyone was about the new up-b before we touched it, but now the disappointment.
Agreed. But not something that can't be tinkered with. Give it more angles and one consistent hitbox all the way through then having multiple.

steelguttey

mei is bei
the tether was consistently worse than jetpack because you can just hold ledge and boom you edgeguarded olimar

did u guys not play the same tether

Top Bottom