• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Lame Recovery

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's recovery is not that good to begin with. You do his up b and he latches on to the ledge with his Pikmin chain. Olimar can only have at most 6 Pikmin, and even then the chain does not extend very far. But this is the worst. If someone holds on to the ledge before you, the chain wont hit them when it sweet spots, nor will it latch on, so you basically fall to your death. This is his one recovery move so it makes Olimar very easy to ledge guard against. Perhaps there is a way around this, but I havent figured it out yet.

Anyhow, I think this vulnerable recovery of his seriously hampers Olimar's usefulness, especially in competitive play. What a waste, because he is really fun to use.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
You sure about that one?

In Melee, regardless of whether or not someone else was on the ledge, you could always hit it with your hookshot/grapple. If your opponent happened to be occupying said ledge at the time you pressed "A" then you wouldn't fall to your death, you'd shoot to the edge and 'jump' above it.

Do you actually have the game and you're saying this? I cannot imagine they'd overlook something of that significance, especially given that there are several characters (Zamus, Ivysaur, Olimar) who will use that as their only recovery option. =/

EDIT: Nevermind, I posted before investigating and this is confirmed to be true.

BossNasty73

Smash Cadet
no he is correct(I actually have the game) the one thing i have noticed is that the up b does give you a little bit of a lift, so if they edgehog you, and you are close enough, then you can use it to get back on to the edge

Afro Joe

Smash Rookie
olimars recovery isnt lame, it may not be the best but it can edge guard really well and by itself it does a pretty good amount of damage.

Top Bottom