• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Grab Desync Against Palutena

PFANT2015

Smash Rookie
NNID
pfantproductions
Hey everyone. Just wanted to share a little bit of Olimar tech against Palutena to the community.

If Olimar grabs a character out of a attack with a push back/wind box effect, such as Palutena's reflect, The pikmin will stay in the position at where it grabbed the other character while Olimar is pushed back out of harms way and still able to input any direction to throw in.

Back throws out of this tech seem to be very peculiar since you are sliding farther away from your opponent while still able to back throw them towards you into any aerial option or potentially an up smash or other smash at low percentages.

This is just something cool I found that other characters are unable to do, since their grab hit boxes are connected to the character.

I feel that this Desync could become useful for follow up options against Palutena due to the increased spacing it grants the player. However this tech is very situational and must be baited by throwing pikmin until the palutena player chooses to try to reflect before going in for a close range grab.

Still trying to figure out other ways to recreate this type of grab desync against other characters. Palutena is just the easiest to perform this technique against. I'm sure this might be known but I feel like more research needs to be put into this. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Wind boxes in general can do this to you. Also I believe the water from Pacman's Fire Hydrant can push Olimar away from the Pikmin doing the throw once the grab has started.

PFANT2015

Smash Rookie
NNID
pfantproductions
Yes! Pacman is another great example. Pretty sure you can actually slide close to the maximum distance of the stage while your pikmin remains in place behind or in front of the hydrant when you grab them. It might not be the most practical tech, but damn does it look cool when done properly.

I'll send you friend request Myran. I'd love to play some Oli ditto's with other people who main him :D

PFANT2015

Smash Rookie
NNID
pfantproductions
Also, if a Pacman player tries to drop a hydrant on you via the air while you are in the air directly below them, you can use a purple pikmin to launch it straight back up at them.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I might be up to play some time, but I have a strong disliking for Olimar dittos. I'm sure there would be someone else here who wouldn't mind.

PFANT2015

Smash Rookie
NNID
pfantproductions
I feel you man, I play the whole roster. We could take turns haha. I'll send you a request next time I get on.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Yea this kind of stuff works with all wind boxes and pac-man. It can even work with a reflect that turns you around, but didn't end up turning the grab around so you're facing away from the pikmin with the grab. There is no one throw you should do every time, but you have to look where you end up and take into consideration your pikmin and both players percents.

Top Bottom