• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar White Pikmin Flower So Broken

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
I was an olimar main in brawl, just tried him in ProM. He feels a bit different, i don't like the lower pikmin count but it is what it is. What really surprised me was the BASED ****ING WHITE PIKMIN. Holy **** they do so much damage when they flower. A bair hits for 41, and a side b pikmin throw hits for 76 if it gets all its ticks. That is sooooo ****ing broken. Thoughts? This should be getting patched 100% imho

GeZ

Smash Lord
They're also the least durable Pikmin and are thrown off or killed easily. You can also shield their pounding you when they're attacked. They also need to survive long enough to flower. It's not as crazy as you think.

GeZ

Smash Lord
But that's wrong. They can throw Pikmin off, or shield the hits. Getting 200% on somebody with four Pikmin would require them to sit their and do absolutely nothing, which is a ridiculous expectation.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
olimar doesnt suck, he just plays extremely campy. His out of shield options are insane, and yes, the white pikmin flower does insane damage. The pikmin are very hard to kill already. This leads to the most lucrative playstyle with him being camping and up smashing out of shield, and side b spamming. He's not a crappy character, just very unexplored, and very annoying.

As for the thread topic, the white pikmin flower does a lot of damage, but the white pikmin would not do enough damage otherwise. Its annoying trying to find which attack will hit the pikmin off. If they made the hurtbox for the white pikmin a little larger, they wouldnt be as irritating to deal with. Also, is there a way to shorten the duration of the flower? Like should I mash, jump, attack, or what?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Just use full body hitboxes to remove pikmin. They aren't hard to remove. This also removes the flower. It comes off so easily, that its stupid, but w/e. He doesn't play super campy in this game, unless he wants to.

Last edited:

Metà

Smash Master
yeah, you can still be aggressive with oli. i play a kind of rushdown style of of oli that's based more on combos than camping, but of course, to do that effectively requires a certain amount of 'camping' i suppose. i mean, throughout the fight you have to be constantly plucking pikmin, reorganizing them, etc. all while your opponent is trying to catch you off guard and separate you from/kill your pikmin. naturally one of the best strategies is going to be to throw a bunch of pikmin at your opponent to rack up damage and whatnot, but then you find an opening and hit them with a strong melee-style punish game, which oli is definitely capable of. being able to switch between offensive and defensive gameplay constantly is what will define a good olimar player IMO. unless you're committed to playing campy (and flower your pikmin so they rack up damage) and you have a decent stage on which to camp, i don't think strictly camping is going to get anyone very far with olimar

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
naturally one of the best strategies is going to be to throw a bunch of pikmin at your opponent to rack up damage
Something I just saw, would be throwing pikmin + pummeling/grabbing. I haven't messed with it, but I can imagine that would be a big source of DMG for Olimar. I don't know how effective it is against people who know how to mash well tho.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Something I just saw, would be throwing pikmin + pummeling/grabbing. I haven't messed with it, but I can imagine that would be a big source of DMG for Olimar. I don't know how effective it is against people who know how to mash well tho.
When I first got my hands on Oli, I thought the same thing, and it's pretty neat. It's borderline useless at low percents, but from mid to high it can rack up a ton of damage. For consistency though I'd recommend trying to throw only one Pikmin on them before you grab as it can be tough to land more than one without them getting thrown off.

Also, I disagree in saying Olimar is best at the running game. I feel like he has a better and more useful neutral game than zoning and flourishes better at the mid range.

Metà

Smash Master
olimar's neutral game is solid in PM thanks to his quick aerials and tilts. n-air is a combo starter and combo breaker. if someone tries to over-exrend their combo on olimar, he can n-air them out of it and follow up with a free up-tilt, and after that you can do whatever. it's also great OOS

Top Bottom