• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Vs Toon Link

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
Well call me a n00b, but I must rant about this particular character. I've accepted wolf, its inevitable, its just the way he was made, but this cat eye'd freak of a clone has been giving me trouble, I don't know if its just Olimar, because I've heard other people complain about him.

The pikmin throw is near impossible to get off this guy without knocking him back first, and he can kill them all with one slash, plus hes a MEDIUM character while he runs faster than any light character out there.

I can't seem to beat him in the air, as Tink takes on the strategy of marth, only with backairs..
and that double slash ugh, I'm not even gonna get into that.

Main question really, do you have trouble with Tinks? It seems to me the best players I know are Tink players, and now I'm really starting to think it isn't skill thats progressing these people >.>

erasmus_42

Smash Rookie
none of my regulars main TL, so it's not too tough to trash them when they play him. I can see a true TL player being a pain in the arse. if you check out the tiers thread, TL gets top tier placement again and again and again.

when NC-echo updates his olimar thread, we might get some info on TL.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144161

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
Yes thats true, hopefully we'll get an update soon. I take advice from everywhere, so I look in the smash bros guide by prima.

"Fight Toon Link Close up"

LOL

right.

shanus

Smash Hero
TL is a pain, however his ranged game gets completely shut down with pikmin spam. Since he can't rack up much damage on you from afar, it limits his approach too. Once again, olimar is good at forcing this match into a campfest, the main thing I tend to abuse in this is matchup is forcing him into the approach, and then punishing the predictable double bair. I'll add more into this thread later but i have to go haha

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
No problem, I'm just a bit impatient when the match isn't as important (at a tourney I don't care how long a match takes, as long as I win ;) ) but online, I tend to be a bit more care free, so A bit more aggressive with my motives, which is why I took Dedede as my second, (another F=> B spammer XD)

The double slash is what gets me though =/ otoh I think all characters would have problems with this. The more Olimar related problem is how one of his best attacks espcially with a purple pikmin gets completely shut down with links OP prioritized air moves.

>.<
LOL COMPLAINING

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I used to have problems with Toon Link, but after quite a number of matches, I am confident to say that I haven't lost to a Toon Link since. :)

As someone mentioned, throwing Pikmin is one of the best moves you can use in this match. Toon Link's boomerang bounces back upon contact with a Pikmin. His arrows are all blocked by Pikmin, and Olimar can throw Pikmin faster than Toon Link shooting arrows. If Toon Link has a Pikmin latched onto him, and he tries to throw a bomb at you, the bomb will explode right in Toon Link's face because it contacts the latched Pikmin first. In summation, Olimar triumphs Toon Link in terms of long-range play.

Toon Link's down-air can be countered, even though it has high priority. When Toon Link is in the air, Olimar can stand right under him. This will encourage the opponent to down-air. You can counter this by using an up-smash, followed by an up-tilt attack. The up-smash will make Toon Link bounce a little off to the side, and you will not get hurt because the Pikmin protects you. Then, your up-tilt will take priority and damage Toon Link. It's a surprising tactic because Toon Links are used to having full priority when down-airing.

It is true that Toon Link can easily remove latched Pikmin. That's not the entire point of throwing Pikmin, in this match, though. The main purposes of throwing Pikmin is to protect yourself against Toon Link's projectiles, distract Toon Link if you want to approach him, and force Toon Link to approach you if you want to play defensively.

Toon Link's air game is quite impressive, so don't go in the air often. :) Let him jump around and back-air a bunch of times. You're not getting hurt. :) When he lands, punish him. Grab him. Stay on the ground, unless you're throwing Pikmin. Shield grab if Toon Link approaches you with an aerial attack.

The most important point is that Olimar can control the battle. You are in control, by using Pikmin Throw.

Fino

Smash Master
I've never really had issues with TL before, but perhaps I've just never played a good one.
Usually I spam the pikmin throw as that blocks all his ranged attacks, and since he has delay after them you can either attack or get some pikmin latched. Throwing is also a great way to put TL in pain.

~Fino

Mitsuko

Smash Apprentice
Toon link can provide quite of a chalange if you don't know how to beat him.

Yes, he is strong at close and long range, so your never really safe, for me, the best stragety, is defence. Just air dogdge and roll your way close enough to hit/grab him, also, throw pikmin on him when you can, this will provide good destraction, so you can move in, once you get him off the stage, he can be easily gimped

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
Newt you were playing against my Toon Link last night. To be honest pikmin feel as much as a threat to Toon Links as Toon Link feels to Olimar. Rack up so much damage before they can land a hit on Olimar. And Olimar's up smash blocks TL's dair. A lot of the reasons People lose with Olimar all goes back to his recovery. Easy edge gaurd.

Newtwarrior

Smash Cadet
EWWW ITS PYRO =)
Like said I've met a couple good players and there all Toon Link D:
I just really wanted to see if it was me, and yeah that recovery gimps him so much, thing is its TO easy to do.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I recommend watching this video and using it as a reference for learning how to deal with Toon Link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0xvN1YqC4Pg

Notice how Olimar dominates the battle by throwing Pikmin generously. He protects himself against Toon Link's down-air by using up-smashes. Finally, he waits on the ground while Toon Link is using his back-airs, then punishes Toon Link when he lands.

Top Bottom