• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar vs Kirby?

InfamousLegato

Smash Cadet
Hey everybody, this is my first post here etc etc all that good stuff. These boards are amazing, but I have a few questions regarding Olimar.

I can beat most of my friends by using Olimar but my friend developed a vicious strategy to counter me when I use him that involves using Kirby and simply spamming is dair and fsmash.

The dair turns him into a rock or whatever form it chooses and I find it pretty hard to hit him before it happens. His fsmash sends that wave at me and it usually kills off 2 or 3 pikmin and then he rushes right at me.

I think it's because I have yet to really master using Olimar in the air. I usually stay on the ground with him because my air game is pretty weak.

So really, I need some tips on fighting a kirby that spams those moves and some help on improving my air game with Olimar.

Thanks.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
Hey everybody, this is my first post here etc etc all that good stuff. These boards are amazing, but I have a few questions regarding Olimar.

I can beat most of my friends by using Olimar but my friend developed a vicious strategy to counter me when I use him that involves using Kirby and simply spamming is dair and fsmash.

The dair turns him into a rock or whatever form it chooses and I find it pretty hard to hit him before it happens. His fsmash sends that wave at me and it usually kills off 2 or 3 pikmin and then he rushes right at me.

I think it's because I have yet to really master using Olimar in the air. I usually stay on the ground with him because my air game is pretty weak.

So really, I need some tips on fighting a kirby that spams those moves and some help on improving my air game with Olimar.

Thanks.
For his dair once he turns into a rock just try and let him hit the ground then hit him with something after he changes back to Kirby. If he keeps doing it over and over again then its loss because that's way too predictable. As for the fsmash, just shield grab him, olimar's grab is so broken it's stupid.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
The original poster refers to Kirby's down+B as his down-air. He also refers to Kirby's Up+B as his forward smash.

OP, the rock is called a down+B or down-special. The "wave" move is his up+B, not his forward smash.

The rock is easily punishable if the kirby player hits the ground. Just grab him. Jump over the wave, your pikmin won't die if they're following you. Kirby's forward A in the air as well as the back should be more of a nuisance to you than these moves.

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
when he uses down B (rock) rolldodge it. and when he gets the smash ball, run as far away from him as possible. thats all i know im not very good at this strdegy stuff against another kirby :/??

Slashed

Smash Cadet
Kirby isn't good against Olimar. His rock has moderately low priority (although it looks like it would have more), so you can grab him right out of it and get him into a combo from there. His up+b...that's really easy to dodge. Just move away from it/roll and then punish his lag time.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
...Wow. You obviously have no clue what his moves are if you think his Up-B is his Fsmash and his Down-B is his Dair.

That means you've never played Kirby before, so my solution to your problem is simple: play as Kirby.

It's a lot harder to counter a character when you have no idea what's in his/her arsenal. Play as every character until you've learned all of the moves to get a better feel for the exploitable weaknesses of each character.

Granted, this doesn't solve every problem, and it's fine to post here asking for suggestions, but don't do so until you've at least tested out Kirby yourself to see what you can do against the moves.

nevershootme

Smash Master
I personally think it's even matched between kirby and olimar, I mean i've played a few rounds with a good kirby player and all i can say is watch out for the hammer (side-b) and side smash, not to mention a good throw combo from kirby with forward throw to up-air and grab, repeat and then a hammer. That's 40% right there if you don't DI out of it in time.

I mean Olimar has a 0-40% throw combo which is easy to pull off.

the only tip i can provide OP is mind games...

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Kirby is a pretty lightweight character. It's quite easy to get him in the air. Try saving your Up-Smashes for later, and instead, use other attacks to get Kirby to a high percentage. Then, use your Up-Smash to deliver the killing blow. The idea is to work around diminishing returns and save your Up-Smashes until you're ready to kill Kirby. I've seen a lot of people spam their Up-Smashes to get their opponents into the air, which is not a bad tactic, but it reduces the overall knock-back of Olimar's Up-Smash. So, to get around this problem, simply refrain from Up-Smashing until Kirby is at a high percentage.

Top Bottom