• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar taking skill?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hello everyone I play Olimar, and I have heard from many people that he is stupid, overpowered, gay, and many other things. I actually was talking to a friend the other night about it, and he said that Olimar in his current play style had no place in brawl. I tried to convince him otherwise... This lead to him kinda saying that Olimar doesn't take as much skill, because of his fast reaction times and how his smashes/grabs work. Personally I think he has a good skill requirement to play at the competitive level. What do you guys think?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
He is one of the hardest characters in the game. That character is quite advanced.
Your friend has the right to call your character stupid and gay and he totally has no place in Brawl because he is super lame.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Haters gon' hate.

Tell me about it. At one point when he kept losing he was like I don't care anymore it's Olimar. It takes a lot of self control to not laugh, but we are good friends so I don't. Also he plays Falco and G&W both of which I have learned like the back of my hand. I try and tell him that it takes skill, but hes a tough one. I think what really makes him feel likes it is just RNG is that I always have the perfect pikmin to stop his next attack, or get back on the stage properly

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
When I first saw him in Brawl, I though he looked like a pretty worthless character. I never disliked his appearance, but I did think he looked weak. Like they say, "never judge a book by its cover." My brother however was intrigued by Olimar, and he became very good at using him. After playing this game with my brother for over five years, I've gained a lot of respect for Olimar. I like him a lot now and he definitely deserves to stay in Smash. He's a great character who does require some skill to get the hang of. While he isn't one of my mains, I use him and Mr. Game and Watch whenever I want to prove people wrong (like your friend) who don't take them seriously.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I think the doesn't take him seriously mentality comes from the fact that I can go through most of his moves with proper timing and pikmin. Also he gets mad when he thinks he can get that one good hit and BAM there is now a purple in his face. Lastly I think we can all agree that Olimar's grab is something that people love to rage about.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Hello everyone I play Olimar, and I have heard from many people that he is stupid, overpowered, gay, and many other things. I actually was talking to a friend the other night about it, and he said that Olimar in his current play style had no place in brawl. I tried to convince him otherwise... This lead to him kinda saying that Olimar doesn't take as much skill, because of his fast reaction times and how his smashes/grabs work. Personally I think he has a good skill requirement to play at the competitive level. What do you guys think?
Generally speaking, the optimal method for playing a fighting game is to be effective as possible with as little effort possible. Specifically speaking, Olimar's skill ceiling is lower than similarly effective characters (e.g. IC) but is also considerably easier to reach with the same amount of effort. In other words, between two players who haven't mastered their characters Olimar will be a more useful tool set than if he were used between two players who have mastered their characters.

It doesn't matter what others think. If what you're doing is winning, then keep on doing what works and think about how you can win more.

ChuckHades

Smash Rookie
I used to main olimar, I wouldn't say he takes that much skill, but then again the vast majority of the cast doesn't either. Really I'd say IC's, Yoshi, Sheik, and maaaybe a few others (Snake and Fox come to mind) require a lot of actual tech skill, every other character is as simple as learning the data behind their moves and learning the matchups.

As for Olimar being gay, every character in Brawl is gay in some way.

Olimar has a gay grab and gay damage racking
MK has gay whorenado, gay priority, gay everything.
Diddy has gay bananas.
Snake has gay explosives.
Falco has gay lasers.
IC's have gay zero to deaths.
Wario has gay air speed and gay waft.
Pikachu is suuper gay in everything (idk, I just hate it)
Marth has gay tippers
D3 has gay chain grab
ZSS has gay armour pieces
Wolf has (not as) gay lasers
TLink has gay projectiles
Pit is Pit.

I could go on, but you get the point. Sounds like your friend is a salty ******* who blames the game when he loses rather than looking where he went wrong, which is probably why you're better than him. Please continue to make him salty, and play as gay as possible.

Also Pikmin management isn't RNG or luck based, it's something you'll have to have full control over to be a top olimar. If you're always having the right pikmin out at the right time, you're probably doing something right.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I can see where you guys are coming from saying he doesn't take the most skill. I will even agree with that. It can just get a little annoying when I am beating him set after set, and he voices the Olimar is broken speech. In the end I am gonna keep doing what is fun, and what wins me the match even if others don't like it. I mean look at M2K he does what ever he needs to do to win.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
People who have said such things have clearly never fought a skilled Meta Knight.

Olimar is fairly easy to learn, in my experience, but is certainly not overpowered, and getting good with him is not easy to do.

The main reason people complain about Olimar is due to his great grab combos and quick and powerful Smash attacks, but he has a good amount weaknesses, notably against characters that are quick, and have a good air game or good ranged options, at least in my experience against moderately good Olimar players.

According to the Smash wiki, Olimar has a disadvantage against Falco, Meta Knight, and the Ice Climbers. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Olimar_(SSBB)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
People who have said such things have clearly never fought a skilled Meta Knight.

Olimar is fairly easy to learn, in my experience, but is certainly not overpowered, and getting good with him is not easy to do.

The main reason people complain about Olimar is due to his great grab combos and quick and powerful Smash attacks, but he has a good amount weaknesses, notably against characters that are quick, and have a good air game or good ranged options, at least in my experience against moderately good Olimar players.

According to the Smash wiki, Olimar has a disadvantage against Falco, Meta Knight, and the Ice Climbers. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Olimar_(SSBB)
My friend plays Falco, but at the moment our only competition is fighting each other aside from the occasional tournament. I tell him about the matchup being in his favor, but he says I don't see how. I think it is because I know how he plays Falco so well. I fought 3 Falcos at the last tourny that I went to and only lost to one. So idk...

Exdeath

Smash Master

The wiki is largely worthless for high-level Smash.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My friend plays Falco, but at the moment our only competition is fighting each other aside from the occasional tournament. I tell him about the matchup being in his favor, but he says I don't see how. I think it is because I know how he plays Falco so well. I fought 3 Falcos at the last tourny that I went to and only lost to one. So idk...
He might just not have roughly as much skill with Falco as you do with Olimar, if he can't tell how the matchup is in his favor or usually loses.

A good way for a Falco fight an Olimar is making good use of his Neutral and Side-special, but that's all else I can say, as I'm new to competitive Smash, though I am moderately good at Brawl.

Regardless, those who say Olimar is overpowered are ragers and/or haters, like I said before. Theres nothing wrong with his playstyle, and I'm frankly shocked to hear people would be comlpaining about him instead of Meta Knight.

ChuckHades

Smash Rookie
Does your friend know how to CG Olimar? It's probably the hardest one to do, but if you do it properly it can zero to death Oli if he has the wrong Pikmin out and the Falco is comfortable off stage.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
He might just not have roughly as much skill with Falco as you do with Olimar, if he can't tell how the matchup is in his favor or usually loses.

A good way for a Falco fight an Olimar is making good use of his Neutral and Side-special, but that's all else I can say, as I'm new to competitive Smash, though I am moderately good at Brawl.

Regardless, those who say Olimar is overpowered are ragers and/or haters, like I said before. Theres nothing wrong with his playstyle, and I'm frankly shocked to hear people would be comlpaining about him instead of Meta Knight.
Well most if not all of his approaches such as his side special I know when to shield and such. We have both been playing the characters about the same time. He said it was like his skill had hit this plateau, and my skill keeps rising. Also I'll leave you this eye-candy to enjoy :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFdZ8fXvciY keep in mind that is nietono.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Does your friend know how to CG Olimar? It's probably the hardest one to do, but if you do it properly it can zero to death Oli if he has the wrong Pikmin out and the Falco is comfortable off stage.
Olimar can always SDI Dair into the stage.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Lately I have been able to jump out of the CG, but yes he has done it to me many times.

Olimar can always SDI Dair into the stage.
That too.

Player -0

Smash Hero
In my opinion Olimar is super ******** with the grab range and damage racking/killing but a person still needs to know what they're doing and pay attention. While an Olimar may not need a ton of technical skill he still needs to be aware of his lineup, how many pikmen he has, and other stuff.
I main Pikachu so I hate fighting Oli and my friend mains Oli so Ew.
So Overall:
Cheap - Yeah although most characters have ******** stuff
Place in brawl? - Lol, Camp, camp, camp, FLOAT! (Loljk :3)
Skill? - He's not like, insta pick up and win but you could pick him up at low/medium level and do fairly well if you're careful.

link2702

Smash Champion
Olimar is ridiculously good, but he's not a "skill-less character" he's actually extremely hard to learn to play right.

Now of course when he is played right he's annoying as hell to deal with, but its not like he's Metaknight(:rolleyes:) , so he still requires skill to use effectively.

Top Bottom