• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Strategies

Siobud

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSiobud
3DS FC
4570-8483-8206
So Olimar was one of my favorites in Brawl but I think I like him even better in Smash 4. A feel like his tilts are weakened or something but that's all I can complain about. I love the fact that pikmin come out in a set order and the one you are using is highlighted and I don't mind his new up special either.
To be honest I love just chilling with one purple pikmin:
Pros:
-Wicked aerials
-awesome recovery
-no change out of pikmin after every move
Cons:
-low range on smash attacks and grab reach
-every side b leaves you left with no pikmin (usually a down b is necessary)
-losing the pikmin makes it hard to reset your setup
Thoughts or other play-styles?

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
So Olimar was one of my favorites in Brawl but I think I like him even better in Smash 4. A feel like his tilts are weakened or something but that's all I can complain about. I love the fact that pikmin come out in a set order and the one you are using is highlighted and I don't mind his new up special either.
To be honest I love just chilling with one purple pikmin:
Pros:
-Wicked aerials
-awesome recovery
-no change out of pikmin after every move
Cons:
-low range on smash attacks and grab reach
-every side b leaves you left with no pikmin (usually a down b is necessary)
-losing the pikmin makes it hard to reset your setup
Thoughts or other play-styles?
I agree with you. I like his aerials in this game better, and also the set order of pikmin pluck.

Hadon

Smash Rookie
However, how does Oli deal with faster characters such as Sheik? Maybe i suck but she seems to run circles around Oli because of his lowered range.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
However, how does Oli deal with faster characters such as Sheik? Maybe i suck but she seems to run circles around Oli because of his lowered range.
I usually tend to camp my friend out when he's sheik, but it seems like sheik can run circles around him.

2k6

Smash Cadet
Same here... I can deal with campy characters now but about facing fast characters its freaking hard, they can just run over you (especially greninja)

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
Same here... I can deal with campy characters now but about facing fast characters its freaking hard, they can just run over you (especially greninja)
Yea basically in these situations you have work twice as hard then your opponent to keep up

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Trow 1 single pikmin is ok! The rest of the pikmin around Olimar need to be use as smash attacks and especially for grab for countering shield. Use your pikmin wisely and need to call them a lot.
I discovered something messing around with Olimar grab, yeah is grab are slower and have more lag but here a thing.
I gonna divided each pikmin here, because every single pikmin have a different grab range, and throw damage.(and effect!)
Red Pikmin- Normal Range, and the weakest damage of the bunch. (does fire effect even being the weakest damage of the group.)
Yellow Pikmin- Nomal range and normal Damage. (It does shocking damage)
Blue Pikmin- Normal Range and Highest damage. (It has the best Knockback to. Blue Pikmin is the Big daddy of the grab. But does not have effect of any source.)
White Pikmin- Longest range and normal Damage. (It has posion effect.)
Purple Pikmin- Shorter range and normal damage. (Even it seem weaker, is knockback is the same as Blue Pikmin. Not effect neither.)

Blue Pikmin is still the best grabber!!

You can do nasty combo with Olimar, Use Dtilt>Neutral Attack 2x>Grab(act fast and work with any Pikmin)>Dthrow>Fair.
The combo above can start with its neutral attack that consist its two jabs.
Its damage is like higher, 30-40% you can do Grab>UPtrhrow>Upair>Jump>UPair.

It still can be dodge by Rush Cancel in middle of this combo, Rush cancel is a trick when megaman is being combo it and escape of it using its Up special. Megaman Upspecial
But here one that Rush cannot do a thing, Grab>Dthrow>Fair or UPair>Jump>UPair(Your lucky).
I think I gonna more about of Olimar combo, because he have potential, not even 9 L.v. CPU can't dodge my combo I made in the game.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
Trow 1 single pikmin is ok! The rest of the pikmin around Olimar need to be use as smash attacks and especially for grab for countering shield. Use your pikmin wisely and need to call them a lot.
I discovered something messing around with Olimar grab, yeah is grab are slower and have more lag but here a thing.
I gonna divided each pikmin here, because every single pikmin have a different grab range, and throw damage.(and effect!)
Red Pikmin- Normal Range, and the weakest damage of the bunch. (does fire effect even being the weakest damage of the group.)
Yellow Pikmin- Nomal range and normal Damage. (It does shocking damage)
Blue Pikmin- Normal Range and Highest damage. (It has the best Knockback to. Blue Pikmin is the Big daddy of the grab. But does not have effect of any source.)
White Pikmin- Longest range and normal Damage. (It has posion effect.)
Purple Pikmin- Shorter range and normal damage. (Even it seem weaker, is knockback is the same as Blue Pikmin. Not effect neither.)

Blue Pikmin is still the best grabber!!

You can do nasty combo with Olimar, Use Dtilt>Neutral Attack 2x>Grab(act fast and work with any Pikmin)>Dthrow>Fair.
The combo above can start with its neutral attack that consist its two jabs.
Its damage is like higher, 30-40% you can do Grab>UPtrhrow>Upair>Jump>UPair.

It still can be dodge by Rush Cancel in middle of this combo, Rush cancel is a trick when megaman is being combo it and escape of it using its Up special. Megaman Upspecial
But here one that Rush cannot do a thing, Grab>Dthrow>Fair or UPair>Jump>UPair(Your lucky).
I think I gonna more about of Olimar combo, because he have potential, not even 9 L.v. CPU can't dodge my combo I made in the game.
Yeah man up throw, up air, up throw, up air is something I do too.
You cam also just pretty much combo from d throw

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Sometimes when I try to use a smash attack or wiff a grab, my extra Pikmin just run around like janky mankeys. Does this happen to anyone else? It's really throwing me off since my Olimar camps a lot.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Sometimes when I try to use a smash attack or wiff a grab, my extra Pikmin just run around like janky mankeys. Does this happen to anyone else? It's really throwing me off since my Olimar camps a lot.
Your not alone on this. My pikmin fly off and even moonwalkin the entire battlefield until the end of the edge, sometime they try soo hard to come to me... they die there... Sometime, there even stuck in the ledge for a Goood amount of time like there freeze or stick in that spot. That why I use my fast whistle(Down B) to call them every second because of this. Use your whistle more often to avoid problem.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Yeah, I get that ledge problem a lot too. This game has been forcing me to use my whistle for more than just super armor now. Had to learn that very early on.

Something I noticed is that your thrown Pikmin can latch on to Pacman's power pellet. I don't have anyone to test it with, but could someone check if this cuts off Pacman's side-b? Or does the latched Pikmin just suffer the wrath of the wakawaka. Crap, there were some other experiments that I wanted to request, but they escape me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom