• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar stage discussion

Nido

ily Sebby
Pretty much what the title suggests.

What and why do you think are Olimar's best stages? Worst stages?

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played a very many places with him yet. but he fairs alright on flat stages. Platforms are very good for him as well, short hop Uair too good. one thing I'm not sure about though as this would definately help us tell which stages could help. is if they did anything with the pikmin appearance variables. it says this on the smash wiki

Red Pikmin

• More likely to appear from cloth floors.
Yellow Pikmin

• More likely to appear from metallic floors.
Blue Pikmin

• More likely to appear from water-based floors (such as ice or clouds).
Purple Pikmin

• More likely to appear from certain metal or stone floors.
and then the white pikmin don't have a preference. so assuming this is the same as in brawl, this would definately be another deciding factor in match ups.

Nido

ily Sebby
I think it's still in because I got more purples on metal cavern than battlefield and such.

I really like Cavern as a stage for Olimar because the lone platform can easily set up for SH Uairs and other punishes plus it helps give Olimar some protection from above also more purples couldn't hurt.

I also like Skyworld because of the flat part at the bottom with the platforms not too crowded but can help recovering high if you need to.

These are my go to counterpicks right now and of the starters FD, Dreamland and battlefield is what I would aim for in that order.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I think it's still in because I got more purples on metal cavern than battlefield and such.

I really like Cavern as a stage for Olimar because the lone platform can easily set up for SH Uairs and other punishes plus it helps give Olimar some protection from above also more purples couldn't hurt.

I also like Skyworld because of the flat part at the bottom with the platforms not too crowded but can help recovering high if you need to.

These are my go to counterpicks right now and of the starters FD, Dreamland and battlefield is what I would aim for in that order.

now see the problem i have with cavern is after your stock. you need to pluck those pikmin like it's bout to go out of style. with such short invincibility you can get caught out of invincibility so easily.

Nido

ily Sebby
That can be considered a problem on every stage

What you can do is if they get a bit hasty pluck 2 pikmin and dsmash to get them off you, or just pluck 2 and runaway to pluck more.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
So far, I think olis good and bad stages depend on how the match starts. If you don't gain a quick lead, oli will get destroyed on a small stage vs someone who pressures super hard.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played a very many places with him yet. but he fairs alright on flat stages. Platforms are very good for him as well, short hop Uair too good. one thing I'm not sure about though as this would definately help us tell which stages could help. is if they did anything with the pikmin appearance variables. it says this on the smash wiki

Red Pikmin

• More likely to appear from cloth floors.
Yellow Pikmin

• More likely to appear from metallic floors.
Blue Pikmin

• More likely to appear from water-based floors (such as ice or clouds).
Purple Pikmin

• it's likely to appear from certain metal or stone floors.
and then the white pikmin don't have a preference. so assuming this is the same as in brawl, this would definately be another deciding factor in match ups.
Are the PMBR going to remove or repurpose this? Because this is either the dumbest idea ever conceived, or it's a secretly brilliant stage balancer.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Are the PMBR going to remove or repurpose this? Because this is either the dumbest idea ever conceived, or it's a secretly brilliant stage balancer.

Depending on how different the actual percentage is between each stage, it could be pointless. but I'd like to believe it's a brilliant stage balancer.

but then again, we have to ask what happens on stages like green hill zone where that stage is technically grass. and then some platforms are just there without any indication of what material they're made of. I came up with a way to test the pikmin percentage rate on stages i just haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Depending on how different the actual percentage is between each stage, it could be pointless. but I'd like to believe it's a brilliant stage balancer.

but then again, we have to ask what happens on stages like green hill zone where that stage is technically grass. and then some platforms are just there without any indication of what material they're made of. I came up with a way to test the pikmin percentage rate on stages i just haven't gotten around to testing it yet.
Perhaps there are neutral textures that favor no particular yeild? BF doesn't provide more Purples even though it's stone.

Nido

ily Sebby
Perhaps there are neutral textures that favor no particular yeild? BF doesn't provide more Purples even though it's stone.

I believe there are 'neutral' textures but from memory they favour red, blue and yellow pikmin with purples and whites naturally rarer, might need some confirmation on that though.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
I don't think the pmbr can change that mechanic. Its built into stages. I mean, it really doesn't seem like a huge inconvenience seeing as how oli hits like Optimus Prime.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the pmbr can change that mechanic. Its built into stages. I mean, it really doesn't seem like a huge inconvenience seeing as how oli hits like Optimus Prime.

I dunno if they can change stages i'm sure they can do this. plus, it's just a matter of messing with the pikmin spawn ratio, that doesn't seem like more than altering a few variables.
But i'm not a coder so who knows?

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if they can change stages i'm sure they can do this. plus, it's just a matter of messing with the pikmin spawn ratio, that doesn't seem like more than altering a few variables.
But i'm not a coder so who knows?
If the properties are hard coded into the stages, then what are the properties of melee ported stages such as FoD or Peach's Castle? If they hard coded a texture type there, I'm sure it can be edited.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Well the melee stages are just imports over other stages. So who knows really. Olimar doesn't really need it.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Well the melee stages are just imports over other stages. So who knows really. Olimar doesn't really need it.
that could explain why when i was testing on yoshi's story the pikmin were pretty even across the board (save for white) which stage does yoshi's replace? at the moment i'm chalking it up to yoshi's story's terrain just being nuetral.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
I'm not sure.

But let it be known that the platforms on the rock transformation of ps1 are triple purple percentage.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
When I play Oli, i prefer green hill zone and smashville because I like to hop on the platform and pluck pikmin safely. I dislike final destination because it lacks platforms that enable Oli to out space his oppenent.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Yo
Don't make me make myself out place you bruh bruh because I'll cheat

Soniv

Smash Cadet
Those three platforms are so good for him and he's fine with the ledges.
To expand,most (if not all) characters can't complete a full roll within the length of the small platforms. That means they end up rolling stationary for a few frames, and it's super easy to up smash.

Also, Olimar is happy when people are above him, and there's plenty of short platform cover for him to play around in.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'd say anywhere with platforms too, being above oli can be disasterous. FD is a good ban. Fountain is good if you want to backthrow to fair to fair. Usually can kill at low %'s cause of the blastzones and Oli can make it back with neutral b and if you need, tether. Out of your starters, I'd take him to Battlefield or PS2.

And Lylat huh? I'll give it a try sometime. Although if you're not carefull and tether a bit to close inside, he won't grab. Happens to me even on Smashville, which is my own fault I guess.

B.W.

Smash Champion
When you tether, you can't be too close to ANY stage. This works for all tethers. Make sure you give yourself some space when you're recovering with Up-B.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Oh ... well... uh ...i mean...

Lol but thanks. Only other tether i've used is Lucas'

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
After wanting to pick up Olimar, i'd have to probably agree that Lylat Cruise is a good stage for him. Knowing the distance (comparing to how many Pikmin you're holding at the time) and when to initiate is pretty important. And yes, this goes for all tether characters. But the reason being for this stage is many characters tend to have a hard time on this stage. Being a Pikachu main at the moment, it's the ledges. Learning how to QA onto the ledge can be extremely hard. And for many other characters without fly recovery, this stage can prove a challenge. I'm not too familiar with Oli's platform game at the moment, but it's something to experiment.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Olimar has a great platform game, really. The platforms make it difficult for people to deal with his fantastic U-Smash and U-Air. They also help with getting around projectiles sometimes. Also, the ledges are pretty janky for some characters, but for the most part Olimar doesn't have much difficulty recovering.

Two other great stages for Olimar to report. Yoshi's Story (Melee) and WarioWare. Low ceilings AND small stages are great for Olimar, but you do have to watch out who you take to these stages. Characters like Marth and Roy will probably be more dominant due to their superior range.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I'm of the opinion that Wario Ware is one of Olimar's best stages. Frankly, I think he does better on smaller stages than larger ones, and stages with low ceilings are even better. What do you guys think?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yeah, its amazing for him, if my opponents don't know to ban it then take them there.

And it's not just the platforms, but you can fair off stage quite a ways to ensure your opponent doesn't make it back while you can recovery no problem.

Lylat as well. Nobody bans it because nobody likes it, from what I understand. Olimar excels there too.

B.W.

Smash Champion
My top stage picks for Olimar, in no specific order, are WarioWare, Yoshi's Story, and Lylat cruise.

Also it doesn't always happen, but the best starters to try for, IMO, are Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, while Battlefield, and PS2 come second. Smashville is okay, Dreamland 64 is alright vs characters with bad recovery. Avoid FD mostly

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yes, if you can get away from FD do so at all costs. But I agree with you. Green Hill Zone isn't so bad either if you can find ways or timing to use the platform. I personally like Fountain and Pokemon Stadium 2.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Depending on how your standard tournament's ruleset goes, Green Hill Zone isn't bad either.

Where I play one of those three stages will always be freed up. Truth be told, I'd rather go to FoD than GHZ just because of the platform layout.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yeah I know what you mean about FoD, you can get Oli right under the platforms when theyre low to really mess with people and get easy U-smashes. Recovering is good too.

Top Bottom