• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar playstyles

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Alright, well since it's clear that olimar boards are dying, let's try to work on our playstyles in general. Basically, post how you approach/force approach, what kind of ground/aerial game you play, what kind of combos you do from grabs. I'm hoping that maybe we can improve his game by mixing playstyles together maybe. I'll post my styles.

I usually play a pretty aggressive olimar. I'll toss a few pikmin to start, but I'll dont force approached with them, they're more for distractions/mindgames. After that, I'll do sh fairs as an approach. After that, I'll go for a ff>grab or make it a retreating fair if they shield. If they get above me, I often ff>u-smash maybe. If they dodge, I often ff>dodge (assuming they attack/grab right after)>d-smash maybe.

That's my approaching game really, so let's hear what yall do. Something else I've been working on recently is approaching with retreating sh dairs. The reason is that if it does the spike, they end up above you and you can combo a bit. Another reason is that dair can hit in 3 different ways: spike, weak hit thing, and a stronger hit w/ alot of knockback. I can't figure out where the hitbox for the nonspike/non weak is, but it does more damage and has a nice amount more knockback than fair/bair, so that's really nice. But, again, I can't figure out exactly where the hitbox is. Anyway, so ya, sh dairs. The problem I've been having with it though is that it seems to leave me too vulnerable cause of the ending lag (not landing lag, just the ending lag). So, post away w/ your playstyles

asob4

Smash Champion
pluck em, chuck, and **** em lol

at first i pluck my 3 then start throwing them as i approach into either a grab or a fair. nair is also a good way to approach if you're coming in from the top as they never expect it

funny, i've been using dair a lot now too, mostly to stop the spot dodge dancing as it has a long lasting hit box (the weak hit comes at the end of it, spike part is around the tip of it, bigger depending on the pikmin, and the hard hitting vertical knockback one is more to the side at the start of the attack)

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Ya, I think the hitbox is somewhere on the sides and the top. I learned that using dair at low percents isn't smart because it doesn't bounce them into the air, so you can't combo well. I completely forgot about nair lol. Ya it is really useful because they don't expect it, like you said. Sometimes I'll sh nair and go through them, so i can't be punished as easily if they shield.

I've been thinking of another strat. It's really campy. Basically, it consists of pikmin toss and retreating bairs. Once you reach the edge of the level, you stop doing that to throw them off if they're chasing you, and do a smash, grab, or w/e and knock them behind you kinda, then repeat.

Zori

Smash Champion
hmmm, I play a punishing olimar I don't into a battle with one mindset I try to outsmart my opponent not there character Also I think i have the most knowledge of edge guards with olimar that pretty much all i got going for me lol.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i just short hop or full above my enemy depending on their above attacks then go nair to upsmash or to mix it up and screw with there expected di dsmash

RichBrown

Smash Master
yesterday i realized how freaking useful pivot grabs are. I grab a LOT, even for an Olimar player, it's really what I rely on. Dthrow combos are key. It's essential to know the matchups and know which character you can do with Dthrow combos on. You also have to learn how your opponent reacts and DIs when you Dthrow them. I've been working on learning/predicting my opponents a lot, and it's worked wonders for me. If you can bait them into a lot of moves (like charging an upsmash as they are landing and releasing it after they airdodge; this is my favorite one) you will frustrate your opponent, and things become easier.

I also use purple pikmin as an approach, it works best when I have 2 because I'll SH a purple, then quickly double jump and throw the second one behind my opponent, then fastfall and go in for the grab. If they shield the first one, I can grab, and if they roll away, they get hit by the second one, and I grab.

dude pikmin are awesome.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
(like charging an upsmash as they are landing and releasing it after they airdodge; this is my favorite one)
I completely agree. Lately, mindgames like that have been key. I feel like working on mindgames is the best thing to be doing atm.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Know your line. It's annoying online, but off it's easier (for me).

Grab dthrow, grab, dthrow, oh shi, purple! Charge upsmash.

Grab dthrow, grab dthrow. They learned to DI/not dodge? Standing dsmash. Easily done usually. They have to jump or you can punish generally.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
At the beginning, much N-Air and F-Air approaching combined with a few Pikmin throws, sometimes D-Air if the opponent comes to fast, and grab attempts when it seems possible. After grabbing, D-Tilt into U-Tilt and U-Smash. Once the percentages are higher, more simple F-Smash approach and less N-Air and F-Air spacing because I need the D-Smash to finish it.

All in all, I can say that I use all attacks of Olimar equally, even the tilts are used frequently.
That's what I actually like about Olimar. None of his attacks are not useful, aside from the running attack maybe.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sometimes at low percents, I'll run up to my opponent and just stop. I'll wait for them to shield and I'll grab. If they spotdodge, I wait for the spotdodge to end and I grab anyways. It's great. ^_^

Dyyne

Smash Ace
When you guys die, do you pluck 6 pikmin immediately? I either pluck 6 and have no invulnerability, pluck like 3 and go for a quick fair maybe, or pluck none, and jump at them and do a nair to throw them off. That's always funny :p

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
It depends. It's important to have at least five Pikmin in a row. PCFS works great.
If my buddy is dumb enough to run at me while I am still plucking Pikmin, I just do N-Air or U-Tilt.

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
When you guys die, do you pluck 6 pikmin immediately? I either pluck 6 and have no invulnerability, pluck like 3 and go for a quick fair maybe, or pluck none, and jump at them and do a nair to throw them off. That's always funny :p
FOr me i sometimes. If my opponent is coming for an attack and i dont have 6 pikmins. i just stop and go with the ones i have

RichBrown

Smash Master
once in a while when i respawn, if my opponent is really close to the "respawning area," I'll simply hit "A" to do a Nair. it totally catches them off guard and is nice for an extra 8-10 percent, not to mention it pisses them off :D

sometimes if an opponent is there waiting for me to pluck I'll pluck the first 2-3, then do any given attack. they almost never block it because it catches them off guard. other then the above scenarios, it is best to pluck 6 immediately.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Pluck one pikmin to fsmash/upsmash.
Some reason, this pulls more whites while you do this.
If a purple comes out and you land an upsmash.. ugh yeah baby.

Top Bottom