• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar in FFAs: Let's hear your side of the story.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about how as an Olimar player, you have to organize your Pikmin and all that stuff I'd rather not type, but then I realized (after having been able to play Oli for the first time a couple of rounds a month ago) during battle, it would be rare that you have that chance, so I doubted the whole "wise management" thing for awhile eventhough it would be the wiser thing to do. After getting the game however and getting the hang of things, I now see how one could be QUICKLY organized in the heat of battle. That is, in 1vs1 battles.

In FFAs however, I find organizing your Pikmin is pretty impossible as much as it is unecessary. There are too many enemies, and leaving yourself defenseless by throwing your Pikmin from foe to foe is just a bad way to go - or at least for me. I'm still getting the hang of being in FFAs, especially with the items turned on and when playing in chaotic stages like WarioWare and the Spear Pillar. I think the Pikmin throw becomes less useful as well, seeing as your damage is being distributed to 3 opponents. And every Oli strategy in my opinion is reworked as you can't really gain any distance from people as you would in 1vs1 matches. I'm not sure if Oli is the best character for FFAs, but I'm still trying to make it work. I'm not saying he's bad or he's good in FFAs, what I'm saying is I'm still trying to figure it out.

How are you guys dealing with the FFA battles? I mean, how exactly do you fight? I'd like to hear your strategies and/or experiences. I mean me personally, I throw a certain amount of Pikmin out with Side+B, but I keep most of them for my protection (smashes, grabs, recovery, etc.). I don't usually organize them unless I'm really isolated, which is pretty rare in FFAs, unless ofcourse I'm at Hyrule or that other giganto Earthbound stage where Oli has no problem shining.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

rofl_jack

Smash Rookie
I've found that you just rule out pikmin organization all together.

Just use a lot of throws and air smashes.

Seems to work for me.

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
I've actually been doing really well with Olimar in FFA's. Unlike in 1v1, you probably won't be able to pluck as the match starts, because people spawn right next to you. I usually use the three I start with and make my way to a spot where I can get a second or two to pluck pikmin. Examples would be the cavern on Spear Pillar, the raised platforms on Smashville, or an unused platform on Battlefield. With that quick moment to pluck and organize, you're ready to go.

At that point, you need to watch all of your opponents. If they clump together, that gives you a chance to organize. If one comes after you, play it like a 1v1. If multiple are after you, you're not going to get to pluck more without just running.

The pikmin toss becomes more specialized in FFA. I really only use it if the fight has either split into two separate 1v1's, or if my opponents are all hitting each other. In FFA, attacks such as his down smash or his Fair become more important for their crowd control ability.

Overall, FFA olimar needs to watch the whole screen and always be on the lookout for an opportunity to pluck and organize, plus make sure he's taking advantage of his great knockback to keep the pressure off.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
Lots of Fairs... LOTS of Fairs.

Short-hopped Fairs.
Regular Jumped Fairs.
Double Jumped Fairs.

Just keep using them over and over and over.

To get them in position for all those Fairs, use up-tilt, Up Smash, or a short-hopped Dair followed by an up-smash to send them flying up. Or grab a lot. Also, use your tilts so your Pikmin don't keep getting killed. Use Up-B when you're not going to be left wide-open afterwards to send people flying away.

Bottom line is never throw your Pikmin in an FFA, the tradeoff is no offense or defense options, and 10 damage at most done to each of your opponents. I've been doing fine with Olimar in FFA once I stopped using my Side-B all the time (which I love in 1v1 BTW) and was able to keep all my Pikmin.

Phizzlestix

Smash Rookie
Oceanborn,

I agree I played a 4 person FFA last night with some friends and it was ALOT different than 1 vs 1 I was getting caught without pikmin because I was so used to throwing them. However after a couple matches I did exactly what albels said and when the fight splits in two I fight as if it were a 1 vs 1 and I started doin just fine :) I did notice a HUGE thing to watch out for with oli though. On pokemon stadium when the stage had switched to the ice field I was sliding out of range of my pikmin so when I would go to do a smash attack they weren't close enough so becareful around ice =) and use the pikmin whistle frequently!

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
Fairs are your friend, it's true. However, Olimar is an excellent character to bide time and get kills with. Stay at one end of the fight with your Pikmin and rack up damage, and run in for a dash-Usmash for easy killins. When someone breaks away from the pack to take you on, just do your stuff. Olimar is nasty one on one if you've been keeping your Pikmin organized and your damage low.

Top Bottom